Problem in accessing My Documents folder!!

I had a Win XP installation on one partition of my hard disk.....Since there was some problem with that installation, I installed Win XP on another partition on my hard disk.....The new copy of Win XP is working fine, but the problem is that I can't access the UserFiles of my previous installation.....I know the previous installation had a data of more than 1.5 Gb of data....but now when i check, its shows that its empty....When i double click it tells me that "Access is denied".....When i try to delete it, its says that the disk is write protected.....

What to do :huh: ? I want to access the data in the MY DOCUMENTS folder of my previous installation.....Anyway i can get the data back??....

And no I can't log in, into my previous XP installation......It gives me some missing file error....

yep u cant do this this way.what you have to do is run windows recovery console and log in as administrator from the old windows installation.
then simply use copy command to copy the whole folder to another drive.
hope this helps cheers !
or else use a bootable linux cd that can read fat32/ntfs partitions.

^^ That seems a good way. Or otherway is try changing the permissions from the root drive up. Change all the permissions so that u can have access.

Actually me thinks you r admin in the prev xp and prev xp was installed on NTFS partition, your acct was password protected, so you can't access your prev my document....I think you should better make a small raw partition install linux there ( I installed linux suci to solve the similar problem ) From linux u can access it and then write this my document files to a dvd or cd

Guys thanks for the help.The main problem was my old partition was completely unusable and gone...I couldn't even get in through the safe mode....I changed the permissions assigned to the folder from my new installation and then it worked.....

Back