OC & Modding Problem OC'ing CPU

VaRz

Adept
Whenever i try to OC my CPU from the bios, After saving the settings, when the PC restarts, the BIOS does not save the FSB settings, although the voltage settings are saved.
What to do?

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
Mobo - Gigabyte P35-S3G [BIOS Version - F5 (latest)]
Cabinet - Coolermaster Storm SNIPER

Was it saving and committing values before you flashed it to the latest BIOS. See also if you can change the CMOS battery.

It cant be the CMOS battery, the voltages values would be wiped out too. It's mostly likely that he has an unstable overclock, maybe an incorrect divider that is running the RAM at 1200+.

^^

What it boots too then when it restarts after the OC is saved to the BIOS. Try with just a 'baby' OC (which you are 100% sure will work), like a 5MHz FSB increase, and try to save. If not, your BIOS battery is finished. Even if it is not, whats the harm in changing it, not that expensive. OP, could try / do the same.

Tried OC'ing FSB by 5 Mhz but after saving, the pc restarts 2 or 3 times and then the settings go back to default, but only the Voltage settings are saved.

Another problem i have been facing from a long time is that whenever i save something to the BIOS For Eg. First Boot device, the PC restarts and then the PC doesn't boot up.

i have to restart it 40-50 times from the Power Off button on my Cabinet to bring it back to normal.

Is this also due to the CMOS battery?

^^

Highly probable, due to the CMOS battery failing/failed. Also I had asked, how were things before you flashed the board to ver.F5...? You will have to systematically trouble shoot the symptoms. Change the CMOS, and remove that parameter from failing. Then move to one DIMM at a time. Flashing, back to original BIOS, jump starting after a BIOS change (short the on/off pin header on your board). GPU check in another system, PSU check, and so on.

That 40-50 starts after a BIOS change, scare me. Weird.

Back