PC Peripherals Problem with display

jai

Disciple
Just lately, I have been noticing a problem with my ViewSonic E653 15" CRT monitor. Sometimes the display width slightly decreases, by about 5mm or so. The height of the display remains the same. After a few minutes the width goes back to normal, but it recurs again after some time. There seems to be no specific interval between decreases.

Is this a voltage problem? The monitor is connected to an APC BackUp 600VA UPS and this problem was not there until a couple of weeks ago. I haven't been able to check with another monitor, since I have only one :) I am running the monitor at 1024x768 @ 85 Hz.

Of course, I should mention the monitor is almost 6 years old now, so it maybe just old age but I have seen many monitors running merrily 10 or more years after manufacture.

I should also mention that there are absolutely no other problems with the monitor, like color degradation, unusual colors at some spots etc. Just this "width decreasing" at intervals.

Any suggestions?

I have seen this kind of thing happening in older TVs when there is a voltage fluctuation-generally a voltage drop.

I think you are right, looks like a voltage problem. In that case your ups is not working ok.

PS. Just try to degauss it and see if there is any change

If it was really a voltage problem, then at least occassionally I would expect the decrease in width at boot time. But that never happens. It always boots up in the correct width and a few minutes later the width decreases.

I just degaussed the monitor (there is an in-built option in the OSD of the monitor), so let us see if the problem re-appears. Just booted up and so far the problem has not appeared.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I think so too. I tried the degaussing method, but no go. The width decrease is still continuing. Well, time to let go of my old pyaare ViewSonic. I wanted a 17" anyway. I will take this as a sign to upgrade.

Back