Problem with Nokia BP-6M battery

hmm had same problem on my 6233, bought a new one as didnt want to risk any part of my body :p
if they are giving free replacement dont mind getting one extra pair :hap2:

Yep, its quite common among Li-on batteries but Nokia's BP-6M is a clear example.

I'm sure your also experiencing reduced battery life.

Why it gets swollen?

The problem has to do with the chemistry of lithium ion batteries, which reacts unfavorably to overcharging.

“There are strict limits on how much current can be put through a lithium-ion cell,” . “During normal charging, you never see metallic lithium, which is inherently unstable. But during overcharging, the lithium builds up faster than it can dissipate. The result is that metallic lithium plates up on the anode. At the same time, the cathode becomes an oxidizing agent and loses stability.”

The big danger, is that this chemical reaction is accompanied by heat and-- as every engineer knows -- warm gas occupies more space, which is what causes the battery to swell.

Nokia's acknowledgment:

Nokia has identified that in rare cases hat BP-6M batteries could potentially swollen up over time and in some cases it can ballooning to several times of their original size, and in some cases to such an extent that the phone case won't close.

According to Nokia's knowledge this issue does not affect any other use of the mobile device and is nothing to be concerned about.

Lithium-ion batteries often gently swell up after a few years, and even unused batteries tend to enlarge after around three years, so those unused handsets you stuck in a drawer could be popping open as you read this. Not that there's any risk from this - it just makes the batteries hard to fit into the charger, or mobile phone, and shouldn't happen for a few years at least.

Nokia isn't saying how common the problem is, only that it affects a "limited number of batteries" and that the swelling presents "no risk to health of safety" - assuming of course that your health and safely doesn't depend on having a working telephone before you have a chance to switch batteries.

Solution:

Time to replace it with a new one asap !

even mine was swollen and battery back up was just 1.5 hrs odd.. got a new one from a grey market for 270 with 6 months gurantee for my N73M

Back