Problem with System Restore in XP

janitha

Adept
I had installed "Tux Paint" after creating a system restore point. Today I tried to restore the system to that point so as to remove the programme. Everything went smoothly, the stem rebooted but the programme with its components was still there. Again I tried to restore to an even earlier date but still with the same result. Frustrated, I booted into safe mode and tried restore. Now the desktop icon is gone, the main programme is gone but in the start -> All Programs menu, it remains with Tux Paint -> Tux Paint on the Web.

System restore used to work perfectly over the past three years ever since I started using XP (Licensed and activated of course)

What may be the problem and possible solutions? Antivirus and Antispyware applications are installed and always updated.

Forgot to mention one thing. Updated to SP3 from microsoft today and the issue happened afterwards.

From what I know, uninstalling does not remove it 100% and system restore is supposed to do so.
I would format and take the pain of reinstalling if there is no other way. Earlier used to do so every 2-3 months.

if u r not satisfied with the add remove programs in windows xp , u cud have used some registrey cleaners after uninstalling the software.

anfjavid said:
if u r not satisfied with the add remove programs in windows xp , u cud have used some registrey cleaners after uninstalling the software.

But somebody pl tell me why the system restore is behaving weirdly?

Maybe thats the way system restore works with software installs.

Have you previously successfully uninstalled any software in this manner?

If yes then it might be due to SP3 changing someway the system restore works.

ranjitpai said:
Maybe thats the way system restore works with software installs.

Have you previously successfully uninstalled any software in this manner?

If yes then it might be due to SP3 changing someway the system restore works.

Definitely and several times over the long period. BTW, NoScript addon to my FF has also vanished while all other addons are still there.

system restore works best wid msi installers.

other than that it may not work that good.

eg.

if u paste a movie file in ur system32 folder and then restore pc back to an earlier date , that movie is not going to be deleted!

system restore is last option , not the first option.

try add remove.

Back