Problems while installing apps!!

I don't know what kind of problem this is? But whenever i try installing any huge program it takes a lot of time. I don't mean the actual installation process. The time difference between me double clicking the Setup file and the first page of the setup to appear can be as high as 15-20 minutes.This usually happens when i try to install huge demos of games. This most recently happened during the installation of the demo of Driv3r. Only the first page of the installation program takes time to come. After the first page appears everything goes on well.

I thought it was my antivirus (avg) program that was causing the problem while scanning the compressed files. But the problem persists even after shutting down the antivirus program.

I have a P4 2.4 Ghz
512 MB DDr Ram
Win Xp with SP2

Compressed files do take time to read, unless you've not been facing this problem when installing game demos of similar type before. Also very often some anti-virus programs are persistent enough to keep scanning even after being disabled.

A good trick would be to right-click on your taskbar and open Task Manager (I assume you are running Windows XP? ) and then run your game demo setup.
If the CPU usage jumps up tremendously, switch to the "Processes" tab of Task Manager which lists all the apps running on your system and find the application thats hogging up the resources causing the slow-down.

I have scanned my Pc for Spyware. But even after that the problem persists. The problem occurs for every type of setup file. I had brought up the task manager. but the problem is that my CPU usage does not show any significant difference. It just shows Explorer using up (4-5%). That is quite normal. it usually takes up that much while performing routine tasks. It is my hard disk busy LEd which keeps glowing continuously. I have tried Defragmenting, Scan Disk etc. There are no problems with the hard disk as such.

In my experience with AVG, I noticed that it doesn't fully shut down after exiting the control centre, the live protection is still on. However, I didnt notice any slow down while installing apps, though it may be an annoyance of a new version. You could try switching to another free av like Antivir PE (www.freeav.com). AVG is going rather downhill these days it seems.

scarezebra said:
I have scanned my Pc for Spyware. But even after that the problem persists. The problem occurs for every type of setup file. I had brought up the task manager. but the problem is that my CPU usage does not show any significant difference. It just shows Explorer using up (4-5%). That is quite normal. it usually takes up that much while performing routine tasks. It is my hard disk busy LEd which keeps glowing continuously. I have tried Defragmenting, Scan Disk etc. There are no problems with the hard disk as such.

Does this occur with every type of setup file or just with MSI installers?
Also, since your hard disk activity is very high, try cleaning your prefetch, temp folders. Also, try to get the pagefile deleted at shutdown with the help of some software!
Maybe, your Virtual Memory settings might have messed up! Check to see if they are set to defaults!

I think that though your CPU usage is showing 4 to 5% there might be some services that are running in the background which may cause this. Just try this Type MSCONFIG in Run and then click on startup tab and disable all the programs that are running there including your antivirus and then just apply those settings and sys asks to restart. Once the computer is restarted you can try installing the game..but make sure that the cd which you are using doesnot have any virus as your antivirus will not be turned on..Once you complete your installation you can go back and turn on the services back in MSCONFIG...hope this works...

Anu said:
I think that though your CPU usage is showing 4 to 5% there might be some services that are running in the background which may cause this. Just try this Type MSCONFIG in Run and then click on startup tab and disable all the programs that are running there including your antivirus and then just apply those settings and sys asks to restart. Once the computer is restarted you can try installing the game..but make sure that the cd which you are using doesnot have any virus as your antivirus will not be turned on..Once you complete your installation you can go back and turn on the services back in MSCONFIG...hope this works...

Hey, buddy!
For checking, disabling/enabling services, you don't use the msconfig tool! The "services.msc" tool that can be run from the Run command is used for this purpose!
The "msconfig" is used only for keeping a tab over startup items! :)

Regards,
~HeadShot~,
The Deadly One...

Back