Security Software Problems With AVG Free 8.0?

starbearer

Disciple
Anyone Having Problems With The New AVG Free 8.0 Version?Seems As If The Biggest Complaint Is That It Won't Let You Get Updates,AND Is Laden With Pretty Annoying Drop Downs.
No Matter What People Do,A Large Number Are Unable To Get Updates,Either Automatically Or Manually.Slows Down Your Internet And Windows Performance Considerably,With CPU Usage Nearing 100%!!
It's Gone The Same Way As Norton.Tries To Interfere Too Much With The OS.

I gave avg to some of my friends and he did used to update it every week , still he managed to get loads of virus ( mostly through pen drive) . This happened 2-3 times and i switched him to antivir , no problems yet . I myself use *ahem* version of nod32 :(

Avira works great for me , using it for a long time now , detects almost all threats + low memory consumption

hmmm...thot support for AVG 7 was stopped, my comp (virtual machine I use for office work actually :)) is still downloading antivirus updates ok.

Not moving to 8 yet, office VPN still doesnt support it :p

Will prob shift to antivir like on my main system, i think its supported by the vpn too, else god forbid, the free office mcafee install in the virtual machine :O everything will prob slow down to a crawl like the office system :rofl:

Strangely I have had AVG 7.5 professional for about a year now, and I have not had a single problem with any virus. The only thing is that I have disabled autoplay on all my removable and optical drives. That blocks the most common way of infection. I tried AVG 8.0 on another PC and it sucked. It was a slightly old machine with 2.4GHZ celeron along with 256 MB of ram, and it simply made the system practically unusable. I uninstalled it and reverted to AVG 7.5 prof and it has been working fine.

What I strongly believe is that merely disabling autoplay on removable drives can go a long way in avoiding many viruses. One must be careful not to "double click" the same removable drives and use "right click>explore" instead,

since double clicking essentially results in the same thing as autoplay . Deleting "autorun.ini" should be the first thing you must do if you find one of those files on a removable drive (unless you placed the file there) . After deleting "autorun.ini" , you can use the drive as usual.

^^ The avove paragraph about disabling autoplay was targeted to those who usually use their removable drives (pen drives) on unprotected systems (e.g at cyber cafes). I personally have found a few viruses on my pen drive every single time I connected it to any cyber cafe's PC .

I think free softwares wont give much protection as the paid ones.i currently have this "paid" version of bitdefender total security 2009 it updates hourly dont think that free versions have this previlages.
so my 2 cents dump avg if u want to stay in the free for all route
1)get avira or
avast couple it with zonealarm firewall(i think its the best).
2)get spybot serach and destroy and tweak it like adding spybots host file etc.
3)download SUPERANTISPYWARE free edition offers no real time protection
but a good on demand scanner(use it from time to time).
4)Download Ccleaner and ATF cleaner(recommended by malware experts).
5)Download threatfire provides real time protection.
6)Dont forget to install ANTIKEYLOGGERS i had this free version forgot the name
encrypts everything u type i ur browser :mad: .

Back