CPU/Mobo Processor advice

Jaspal

Disciple
Hi,

I am looking to build a New PC for myself and wanted some opinions and views of members here who have done just that.

Here are some questions

I have seen that the Core 2 Duo range of Intel are the minimum I should go for, but I want a machine which will be powerful enough so that I can do photo and video editing in photoshop and premier, dvd authoring in pinnacle and I should be able to play my PC games aswell.

I was thinking about getting two processors in one PC, I think its called a Dual Processor PC.

But I have also seen those Quadcore Processors.

So, what is better, two Core2duo processors or just one Quadcore processor.

I guess I would eventually need advice on a suitable Motherboard for a strong combination, along with a graphics card, sound card, DVD writer..etc.

I am completely NEW to this, I have no background of PC building, normally I would just look up Sony/Dell/Toshiba/HP and just buy it from the shelf. But this time I want to get my hands dirty so to speak.

My main work is photo/video editing, and I play alot of games aswell. So it has to be something which will last me at least a good 7-10 years, before I even start noticing it becoming slow.

My last PC has been running for 12 years and I have recently started to notice it is going slow on me.
Thanks

Jaspal.

Hey its me again :p
You might as well go for Quad Core 9400 as per your need with Asus P5Q as the motherboard.
If you want something cheaper, consider the E8400 or E8500 when it comes to processors.
Other thing would be the rams, I dont think you are interested in overclocking, hence i wouldnt recommend you some fancy rams with better features. Get the Corsair XMS2 2GB or 4GB kit and you're done.
The best part :p Graphic cards, check out the HD4850 too.
Check the prices at TheITWares - Buy Computer Hardware , PC Components , Laptop Computers - One Stop for all Gizmos!! or Lynx Chandigarh Largest Electronic & Computer Superstore :)

Thank you for the post.

I am doing some reading about how dual processors work.

I think I will need a Dual processor system as the heart of the system.

Weather it is a Dual Quad Core or a Dual Core2Duo, that remains to be seen.

Money is a factor which I have budgeted for, the machine I would like to build should be super fast running Windows Vista Ultimate, I would not mind buying a Mac, but most of my software are purchased for Windows and it will just cost more to buy new licenses for the new Mac.

If anybody else has built a dual processor PC, please let me know about the motherboard used.

I am sure there is a good Motherboard to Processor combo.

Jaspal said:
Hi,

I am looking to build a New PC for myself and wanted some opinions and views of members here who have done just that.

Here are some questions

I have seen that the Core 2 Duo range of Intel are the minimum I should go for, but I want a machine which will be powerful enough so that I can do photo and video editing in photoshop and premier, dvd authoring in pinnacle and I should be able to play my PC games aswell. good heavy requirements, budget??.

I was thinking about getting two processors in one PC, I think its called a Dual Processor PC. u talkin of skull-trail?? they cost 1lac minimum. normal desktop boards can have only 1 processor single core, multicored.

But I have also seen those Quadcore Processors.

So, what is better, two Core2duo processors or just one Quadcore processor.depends on ur usage c2d at good clocks can easily beat quads in areas like gaming, since games arent quad optimized yet.

I guess I would eventually need advice on a suitable Motherboard for a strong combination, along with a graphics card, sound card, DVD writer..etc. sure we are here to help
I am completely NEW to this, I have no background of PC building, normally I would just look up Sony/Dell/Toshiba/HP and just buy it from the shelf. But this time I want to get my hands dirty so to speak.

My main work is photo/video editing, and I play alot of games aswell. So it has to be something which will last me at least a good 7-10 years, before I even start noticing it becoming slow.

My last PC has been running for 12 years and I have recently started to notice it is going slow on me. wow 12yrs without anything goin kaput??..:O

Thanks

Jaspal.

mention ur budget..we shall config accordingly.:)

and welcome to TE.

47Shailesh said:
I hope you want to convey not required rather then not possible.

I know exactly what you mean.. but i have mentioned "its not possible for him .. Know it ages back that something known as skulltrail is there, so dont worry :p

I have had my PC for a long time, never had a single problem. I have since added two 300GB HD's and 1GB Ram.

My Budget is around a ball park figure of £2000 (pounds, as I live in the UK). That will go up, as I add on speakers, keyboard, mouse, LCD widescreen or TFT, etc. I have been saving up and I want to build a machine which will last me another 10 years. haha. But also be a powerful demon in terms of games..etc. I have seen some graphics cards costing upto £400.00 are they worth it?

Also, lastly I would like help on, is it worth spending £$£$£'s on a PC, where I have seen some Dell machines with Quad core processors, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD, DVD Writer, 20" widescreen..etc for £670.00.

the spec which I would like is the the mid range spec on an Apple Mac Pro, but I am sure it could be much cheaper than what apple charges.

Again, please remember, all of my software is windows based and buying new software for an apple is not workable. I am saying this just incase somebody says "just buy an Mac Pro". I am sticking to windows.

Please give me some time, before I workout all my spec, I am reading up on this as I go along, so this is a new area for me.

Have you guys seen this Intel Core i7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Intel Core i7 the new Quad core range coming out at the end of this year.
Most of my parts I shall buy from ebuyer.co.uk and amazon.co.uk

Give me couple days and I shall draw up a complete spec.

Sorry, I forgot to add, I think Asus do a Dual CPU Motherboard, I think the model number is Z7S WS. It is selling for around £300.

It doesn't have to be a dual CPU PC, I am thinking that if I build a Powerful PC I would be making myself "future proof" for sometime to come, before I had to build a new PC.

I am not into money wasting, as I want my moneys worth. Why wouldn't I, I spend alot of house working hard, so its a no brainer.

Back