CPU/Mobo Processor Motherboard upgrading

prakasem

Gaming
Disciple
  1. What is your budget?25K - 30k
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • Core i3 first gen
    • Motherboard - intel Media series DP55WG
    • GPU - Nvidia GTX-460
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor (not Full HD)
    • PSU - GS800
    • GPU - GTX 460
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Core I5 4670 or 4670K
    • Motherboard - MSI Z87 GD65 or G45
    • which 1 is better in the above 2 boards, all kind of suggestions and advice are welcome. I want it to be under my budget and i am able to find G45 board any where.
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
    • Monitor - Full HD
    • GPU - SLI or New
    • RAM - 2X4GB
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Strategy - Civilization 4
    • Racing - Grid at medium to high settings
    • All genre Games
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1440x900
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

Last edited:
Don't go with MSI. Their QC isn't very good and there seem to be a rather alarming amount of failures.

Stick with top tier brands in India like ASUS or Gigabyte. Unfortunately while Gigabyte still makes some superb boards their service standards have fallen.

So my suggestion is to stick with ASUS boards for now till Gigabyte improves their service.

The ASUS Maximus VI Hero is a very good Z87 board for your requirements. With the 4670K processor it will exceed your budget slightly but you will have a real kick ass combo.

If you wish to stick with your budget then the ASUS Z87-A is a decent board though IMO if you are already spending this much get the Hero board for peace of mind.

i5 4570 (14000)
Asus B85M G (6500)
Kingston HyperX Blu 1600 MHz 4 GB (2400)
WD Blue 1 TB (4000)
Bitfenix Merc Alpha (3100)
Logitech MK200 (800)
Asus optical drive (1000)

total: 31,800

@Brendon Thank u so much. This kind of suggestions are what I actually want. First of all i got impressed by the look of the MSI GD65 Board and the budget is also ok, but i want to know how powerful the board really is? One more thing i am not that much into overclocking stuff and all. Apart from overclocking how is this MSI board reliability and performance.? If it is too bad in that aspect also means i ll move on to the the ASUS Maximus VI Hero. Thanks in advance.

@Brendon Thank u so much. This kind of suggestions are what I actually want. First of all i got impressed by the look of the MSI GD65 Board and the budget is also ok, but i want to know how powerful the board really is? One more thing i am not that much into overclocking stuff and all. Apart from overclocking how is this MSI board reliability and performance.? If it is too bad in that aspect also means i ll move on to the the ASUS Maximus VI Hero. Thanks in advance.

> MSI is officially closed in India. better to avoid it.

> Any Z series chipset board is an absolute waste if you don;t want to overclock the processor. Forget about Maximus, get Asus B85M G and an i5 4430. BTW you ignored a post of mine.

+1 Avoid MSI. Just not worth it.

Also if you don't want to overclock then yes its pointless going for a Z87 chipset. Get something cheaper like the B85M G that harshilsharma suggested.

@harshilsharma Sorry i didnt ignored ur post, i checked those spec also forget to mention it in here.[DOUBLEPOST=1390908633][/DOUBLEPOST]@RIJIN P K yes i want to SLI soon. @Brendon Is it possible to overclock 4670 (not 4670K)

^^ Yes you can but you don't have much headroom in overclocking. Nothing like with what you can get with a K version processor.

For max headroom to OC the non K processor you would need a Z87 board though. Honestly if I was in your position and buying a Z87 board and a 4670 processor I would spend the little extra for the K version of the processor. Makes a lot of sense IMO especially since you want SLI and you are getting a good board .

@harshilsharma Sorry i didnt ignored ur post, i checked those spec also forget to mention it in here.[DOUBLEPOST=1390908633][/DOUBLEPOST]@RIJIN P K yes i want to SLI soon. @Brendon Is it possible to overclock 4670 (not 4670K)

it is not recommended to overclock a processor whose multiplier is locked by intel itself. as brenden mentioned, it is better to get 4570k or 4670k with a good z87 board.

not exactly true. currently sli is supported only on z87 boards on lga1150 paltform.

Okay, thanks for pointing that :)[DOUBLEPOST=1390928236][/DOUBLEPOST]

In case of locked chips, you can adjust the turbo boost speeds so that the max clock attained during load gets increased. But, that's not real overclocking.

Ok thank so much guys I decided to spend little much extra to go for Core I5 4670K and Board might be Asus maximus VI Hero :). Thank u for being so informative guys.[DOUBLEPOST=1391053045][/DOUBLEPOST]1 more thing how about AS Rock Motherboard just want to know thats it!!

Back