Mac OS Programs for Macbook

shrjun

Disciple
I purchased a 2011 Macbook pro 13" today :) .As I am a newbie with regards to the platform and would like to get the same level of functionality ( or better ) as I used to have on my Windows notebook , I request guidance from Mac experts on the forum.

1. What programs can I download for the Mac ? Looking for free programs at the moment!
Is it possible to open and edit MS Office docs on OS X Lion ?
Can apps/programs be downloaded only via the app store ?
Antivirus ?
2. Are there themes that can be applied :S ?
3. What is the battery configuration that I see mentioned in forums on the net ?
4. All suggestions on optimizing my new Mac are welcome.

Thanx.

1. How do I calibrate the battery for maximum life/performance ?

2. Suggest a good screen protector and laptop sleeve from an online site.

3. How do I install programs - what do i do with the downloaded file ? Also , how do i un-install programs ?

Sorry that the questions are extremely basic... :)

1. Don't know, cos I use hackintosh

2. I don't own macbook, so can't answer it :p

3a. To install :

Click on .dmg file you downloaded, it will be mounted as CD Drive. Some apps open up automatically or for some you have to open it. Drag the App Icon to the App Folder [which will be in dock] That's all !!

3b. Uninstall :

Just drag the app icon from the app folder to trash. That's all !!

and also - The Mac OS X Beginner’s Guide |

Actually one does not need to calibrate the battery.

They come pre-calibrated from Apple.

Do not apply themes,even if you get your hands on them,they embed themselves in the system and are damn tough to remove.

Optimization of Mac can be done using an app called Monolingual which will remove installation of other language packs and powerpc stuff.

But I think since you are on lion,you need not worry about it.

Lastly,Just use your mac. :)

You will find out soon enough what to do.

Srirama said:
Lastly,Just use your mac. :)
You will find out soon enough what to do.

Thank you for the vote of confidence :) . It's just that the Macbook + OS is extremely beautiful and I do not want to install crap ( like I have done on my Windows XP machine).

Have got Office for Mac 2011 and Sophos Antivirus though - Nice.

Get rid of that antivirus,you really don`t need it.

You do not need the screen guard also.Invest in some good keyboard protector/guard.

Give it some some time,you will know all the basics in a month or so.

As Srirama suggested,stay away form themes.

And finally do not get obsessed with it,it is just another very good computer.

a. Preview, Apple's free PDF reader, which is built in :p

b. Adobe

c. Skim

a. For chm :

-Chmox

-xChm

-iChm

-ChmOSX

b. for pdb

-eReader

and also get Calibre. Using it you can convert PDB to any format you want. A MUST HAVE.

red dragon said:
Get rid of that antivirus,you really don`t need it.

You do not need the screen guard also.Invest in some good keyboard protector/guard.

Give it some some time,you will know all the basics in a month or so.

As Srirama suggested,stay away form themes.

And finally do not get obsessed with it,it is just another very good computer.

Really?

Switching from Win to Mac and everyone says this. Just difficult to mentally accept running a computer without any anti virus.

Do NOT run a Mac without anti-virus! Just last week a system of a colleague was infected by Revir.A that wreaked complete havoc. I have never seen such a devastating virus attack on a Windows system. There are bunch of virus and malware starting to pop up for OS X. Unlike Windows where almost all viruses are executed by user action, in Mac some viruses execute themselves. For example, Revir.A just opens itself as a PDF file and you wouldn't even know. Moral of the story - Mac OS X is much less secure than Windows 7. So far OS X's low market share meant few viruses were written. But as Mac's grow popular and Windows gets ever more secure, hackers are starting to target OS X. There are several articles on the net about this, but here's a very recent one: http://www.windowsitpro.com/article...ecurity-expert-windows-7-secure-mac-os-140118. Vulnerabilities per user is 15 times that of Windows 7, not to mention it takes Apple months to fix vulnerabilities while Microsoft does it in 7 days. Windows has thousands of very regular updates, a Mac OS X only has 5-10 each every few months. E.g. Snow Leopard had 8, up to 10.6.8. So, do not skimp on security software on a Mac.

Yup, what above said is true. Mac is weaker than Windows but likelihood of getting infected is very less if you know how to use the system. And even in Windows. Currently I dont have any anti virus on my Win 7 Pro.

Yes I concur with avi here.

Most trojans or viruses for mac require that you authorize their activities by giving your username and password.

The trained eye can easily spot the mimics ;)

@avi you are 999 posts :D

No system is immune to malware attack,be it Windows,Mac,Ubuntu or whatever.

But if someone knows what he/she is doing it is very difficult to get infected in Mac.

News of malware acting havoc on Macs comes atleast once every year,but yet to see one single infected machine.

Sent from my galaxy s2 with tapatalk pro.

red dragon said:
No system is immune to malware attack,be it Windows,Mac,Ubuntu or whatever.
But if someone knows what he/she is doing it is very difficult to get infected in Mac.
Sent from my galaxy s2 with tapatalk pro.

Quite true - even on a Windows machine - my XP laptop has never been infected ( touchwood :) ) in it's 5 year life.

Back