Protecting an excel document

chesss

Disciple
I have excel workbook that I don't want anybody to get a hand of.
What are my options for protecting such a document ?
The inbuilt password protection of excel doesn't seem good enough as there are programs out there that can easily remove the password (even a complex password , according to some blog)

I also need to edit the file daily so it can't be just burried in some archive.
What now ? office 2007 has better encryption(some blog said so)
is switching to office 2007 the only option ??
suggest something please
PS: don't want to give read access as well.

@OP:

The best you can do, when saving it, assign a password for open and modify. Also you can assign passwords when the work book is open, at the worksheet level.

^^nope , at home .

I tried truecrypt, its good, but mounting/unmounting a truecrpt volume seems like a hassle.
How about instead of using truecrypt I use a very lengthy (15-20 characters) password for the default encryption of excel ?

chesss said:
^^nope , at home .

I tried truecrypt, its good, but mounting/unmounting a truecrpt volume seems like a hassle.

You can encrypt whole partition and truecrypt will encrypt & de-encrypt on the fly.

Also, With extra security comes a bit of hassle as well. its a Trade-Off, you just can't avoid it:p

The battle over security vs. convenience

If you want a easy way, just set a password in excel document itself but mind you, it can be easy broken:bleh:

Protect it with winrar password + excel password before saving. Of if you can write VBA code...

1. Put code in the work book event which asks for password.

2. If correct password then, 'excel very hidden sheets' will be exposed.

3. If macros not enabled, then (1) will not happen, sheet(s) remains hidden.

4. Before close, the sheets can be 'very hidden' again.

This way you have 4 levels of passwords:

1. WinRar.

2. Excel open.

3. Macro password.

4. Worksheet protection.

Keep all 4 different.

upload file in your mailbox.. keep it in draft..

i suppose you can download and upload modified file on a daily basis...

this way your files stay with you when you require it and no one else gets hold of it as long as your mail account is safe..!!

Back