Protecting your CVV number

wr8_utd

Adept
I've just recently got a Debit card and considering how easy it is for your CVV number to be copied by someone when swiping your card, are we allowed to scratch out the CVV number at the back after memorizing it? Or even put an opaque sticker over it?

Sorry for the NOOB question :p

I guess we can do that. Its your debit card and if it is lost you are screwed. Better to scratch the CVV as stickers can be removed. Also if it is lost then due to non availability of CVV number online usage may not be possible but offline can surely be done.

Because no shopkeeper ever checks the signature authenticity and all that.

I hope these people introduce entering PIN number at the time of transaction at offline stores. I know it is available for some banks but not all.

If you are a HDFC customer I suggest, always use Netsafe Virtual Cards (available both oth for debit and credit card holders) for making online payments, this card is valid for a single day with a random CVV and CC number which reduces the chances of unauthorized use of it.

I have seen a Virtual Card option in ICICI also but have not used it yet.

^^The virtual card option of ICICI is useless IMO as the card number and CVV of virtual card is not generated on the fly but it is static.

^^I think you get a VCC only if you have an actual credit card from ICICI because the limit and everything on the VCC is same as actual except the number and CVV number.

raksrules said:
^^The virtual card option of ICICI is useless IMO as the card number and CVV of virtual card is not generated on the fly but it is static.
But the point is that you can set the credit limit on the fly. So you can keep the credit limit at zero (I dunno if it allows zero, I usually set it to a low value say Rs 100) and just before you make a purchase, you can set it to the required value, make the purchase and then set it back to zero. That way it is safe.

I do use the Netsafe Virtual Card but the problem with the CVV is that when I swipe it at a store the person there could, in theory, easily take a peek at my CVV number and expiry and remember that and with the card number as well he's all set to use it online so to prevent that I was wondering if we're actually allowed to scratch it off.

Anyway thanks for your replies :D

Scratching may damage the card. You may paste a small piece of opaque paper, on the place where CVV is printed (but ensure that you have remembered the CVV number). I have done it on my Citi cr cd and have been using it for last three years, both here in India as well as abroad.

Remember you CVV and strike it our using the same pen you are using to sign at the back of the card. So ne possibility of any damange just striking out with a permanent marker will do.

Back