PS3 3.55 Firmware Now Available

xXx

Skilled
As soon as you boot up your PlayStation 3 while connected on the PlayStation Network, a new update will be pushed through your console.

Version 3.55 adds nothing except for a security patch. What does this mean? It basically blocks the ability to downgrade the firmware that can lead to a jailbreak.

Is this is a good move to combat piracy on the PlayStation 3???

Ethan_Hunt said:
WOW! Sony is really quick on their guns. Did you update?
Not Yet ! Will go Home n Update !

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Punker said:
should we update to 3.55 ?
Depends upon your online activity. If you play Online / want Online functionality, then yes, you will have to.

^^The recent updates which are released are under 100mbs since they do not include the earlier versions, just the Update required from your current firmware version.

bassam904 said:
Why doesn't Sony come out with a new UI or do we have to wait till Firmware4

You brought up a really good point there Bassam. From the time that the PS3 has released, we haven't seen a different dashboard/XMB look at all. Microsoft has always improvised on theirs, time and again. The latest Kinect one looks kick-ass. Sony definitely needs a change.

For downgrading the firmware, yes it has been. Although, it's not widespread till now, but there are videos and people confirming it.

Udit said:
when will mkv support get added?
LOL seriously! At least if Sony doesn't do it, we expect a homebrewn application to do that. But none until now. Sadly. :(

I have no complaints for the XMB though. Maybe because I haven't seen X360's dashboard at all.

xXx said:
Is this is a good move to combat piracy on the PlayStation 3???

Why isn't it a good move? Piracy on PS3 is made possible in the first place by exploiting security holes in the retail firmware and put the console into dev mode. Why shouldn't Sony patch security holes that they find? if the holes remain un-patched, how far off would be the situation where a hacker with malicious intent exploits the same security holes to create malware that will render your console unusable. How kindly would people take to such a scenario. Not only would people be pirating, they will be bashing Sony everyday for the very reason that allowed them to pirate.

bassam904 said:
Why doesn't Sony come out with a new UI or do we have to wait till Firmware4

Ethan_Hunt said:
You brought up a really good point there Bassam. From the time that the PS3 has released, we haven't seen a different dashboard/XMB look at all. Microsoft has always improvised on theirs, time and again. The latest Kinect one looks kick-ass. Sony definitely needs a change.
"Don't fix something that ain't broken". I don't have a problem with either the XBOX 360 Dashboard nor the PS3's XMB and I don't see any major reason why XMB needs to be replaced. XMB is minimalist and it works well that way.

^Thanks to the JB, we had more number of consoles being sold compared to the titles now. A classic instance is our forum itself - we have had so many of them buying the console after the JB happened. :p

Back