PS3 Custom Firmware Creator Released! Permanently Add “Install PKGs†to the XMB

akarsh

Adept
Did someone just say custom firmware? Yep, KaKaRoTo, after all the crazy news the last few days, has pumped out the FIRST PS3 custom firmware! What does this CFW allow? Throw those USB boards and those cheap clones out the door because now we can install PKG files without the need of “jailbreaking” the PS3! KaKaRoTo’s CFW currently does not support booting of backups but it is very possible to do and expect the feature to be available VERY soon

Read more: http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/01/kakaroto-first-ps3-custom-firmware-released/#ixzz1A98L2YBC

Permanently Add “Install PKGs” to the XMB dont get tooo ex..ted it does not run backups

source:-

PS3 Custom Firmware Creator Released! Permanently Add “Install PKGs” to the XMB | PS3 Hacks :: PS3 Homebrew :: PS3 Downloads

$weet...now thats more I like it....No dongles...no hex coding...n all that stuff...:D

Hopefully it wud be able to play backups soon ;)

Waninkoko’s PS3 Custom Firmware 3.55 with Backup Support

Posted by greg

Waninkoko won’t have you waiting any longer… The infamous hacker in black dishes a full serving of PS3 custom (or modified) firmware; and by full serving I mean all your homebrew, including support for Backup Manager! That’s what you’ve been asking for, right?

How to install PS3 Custom Firmware v3.55

1. Download PS3 Firmware Update (OFW) 3.55

2. Install (or restore) OFW 3.55

3. Patch the OFW 3.55 PS3UPDAT.PUP using “bsdiff” / “bspatch”

bspatch PS3UPDAT.PUP PS3UPDAT-CFW.PUP CFW_v3.55.patch

4. Confirm the resulting PUP has the md5 sum of 6eab7f1deea1ed46a1dc9924fd7080b3

5. Rename and copy the patched PUP to a USB storage device: /PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP

6. Flash it from Settings -> System Update (or the Recovery Menu if you need to)

Tools will be available on github soon. See README.txt for more info.

Update: Uh oh… Waninkoko speaks up: “Do NOT install in Slim consoles! Looks like users are reporting bricking issues. That’s weird as the CFW was tested on both models.”

I’m testing it now. Please standby.

Update: Well, on my Slim the installation went a-okay! That said I’ve uploaded the patched PUP for you. And I can also confirm that multiMAN, as a Backup Manager, works with no problem. I should mention I updated from geohot’s jailbreak; I already had multiMAN installed under that (for those wondering why it won’t install under Waninkoko’s CFW).

Update: There have been many brick reports… Some fat models, some slim… Many variables come into play when patching LV2. So right now, it’s like this: If you really, really want backups, then give it a shot, just know the risks involved — you could end up with nothing in the end. Otherwise I recommend you buy your games and jailbreak only for homebrew purposes.

Update: As the reports file in, it would seem older “Fat” (launch?) models are more prone to bricking. If you have one of those, I reckon you not try this at all. Slim owners — this doesn’t mean you’re in the clear either. While mine worked, your luck may differ.

Update: Consoles (older models) with 256MB NAND will fail.

Update: Follow the below list. Find your model # on the PS3 itself. Do not attempt this with 256MB NAND.

* FAT NAND SIZE

o CECHA = 256MB

o CECHB = 256MB

o CECHC = 256MB

o CECHE = 256MB

o CECHG = 256MB

o CECHH = 16MB

o CECHJ = 16MB

o CECHK = 16MB

o CECHL = 16MB

o CECHM = 16MB

o CECHP = 16MB

o CECHQ = 16MB

* SLIM NAND SIZE

o CECH-20..A = 16MB

o CECH-20..B = 16MB

o CECH-21..A = 16MB

o CECH-21..B = 16MB

o CECH-250.A = 16MB

o CECH-250.B = 16MB

o CECH-250.A = 16MB

o CECH-250.B = 16MB

o CECH-251.A = 16MB

o CECH-251.B = 16MB

Thanks to Jonny 4$$ for that comment.

Update: First, a moment of silence for those who’ve bricked their PS3s. We’re sorry for your loss. But for those still rockin’ here is Rogero Manager v7.8, signed for Waninkoko CFW. This comes from logic-sunrise.

source

http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2011/01/17/waninkokos-ps3-custom-firmware-with-backup-support/

I have been following this since yesterday evening. Has anyone here tried this without bricking their console? Really looking forward to get this to work.

Back