PS3 from U.S

TechHead said:
^Yes, but why not spend 5k more and get local warranty?

its less than 4k more.

usa 80gb costs 400$ + tax which will be anywhere from 20-40$. which makes it 21-22k. also u dont get a free game in usa. also u will need to spend extra on a voltage stepdown convertor.

in india it will cost u a little under 24k for 80gb with motorstorm2 or resistance 2 free. both are new games & must have for a ps3 owner.

so it makes more sense to pick up a ps3 here.

stormblast said:
its less than 4k more.

usa 80gb costs 400$ + tax which will be anywhere from 20-40$. which makes it 21-22k. also u dont get a free game in usa. also u will need to spend extra on a voltage stepdown convertor.

in india it will cost u a little under 24k for 80gb with motorstorm2 or resistance 2 free. both are new games & must have for a ps3 owner.

so it makes more sense to pick up a ps3 here.

MRP is 400$ plus tax. there are many places and online deals where u can get the ps3 for around 350$. also ps3 has 110V-240V so u wont require any voltage converter.

i would suggest buy the ps3 from there and save the 5k. also another advantage from buying there is getting a region A console for blu-ray.

You dont require a step down convertor. US PS3 will work on 240v as well. I have one which i have brought from the US and it is working.

Get a legit dude...........I know 2 guys who had their PS3 gone bad and were Out of Region. One had his HDMI port gone bad.....he ran from pillar to post.....but even the official Sony service center could not repair the PS3 as they don't have the expertise to do so. The replace your legit PS3 if it has any problem. So essentially his PS3 became a paperweight! Whatz the point...?!

Consider it like insurance.......your insured for a year.

^^ PS3 80GB 21.5k in New-Delhi. [Without any games , just the whole box packed console]

What else you want? You can't get any cheaper unless someone from USA is getting it for you. Ordering it from USA won't make any sense koz there's only gonna be a difference of max. Rs 300-400/-

dharmilstar said:
MRP is 400$ plus tax. there are many places and online deals where u can get the ps3 for around 350$. also ps3 has 110V-240V so u wont require any voltage converter.

i would suggest buy the ps3 from there and save the 5k. also another advantage from buying there is getting a region A console for blu-ray.

most online deals will charge u shipping which would be quite a lot.

also its easier to just pickup the retail if u are asking someone to get it for you.

it makes much more sense to get it here. u can also sell the free game u get with the console here for 2000rs easily. a new 1 costs 2600rs.

whatever way u calculate the difference will not be 5k. it will be much much lower than 5k.

it will be 1k to 3k max. so it makes way more sense to get it here than asking someone for a favour to carry a 5kg box for you.

the issue of spin of death is quite possible in the first 6 months. if yours is usa ps3 then u will need to spend 3500-4000rs to get the lens changed. so a little more for 1yr insurance is worth it.

stormblast said:
also its easier to just pickup the retail if u are asking someone to get it for you.

it makes much more sense to get it here. u can also sell the free game u get with the console here for 2000rs easily. a new 1 costs 2600rs.

whatever way u calculate the difference will not be 5k. it will be much much lower than 5k.

it will be 1k to 3k max. so it makes way more sense to get it here than asking someone for a favour to carry a 5kg box for you.

the issue of spin of death is quite possible in the first 6 months. if yours is usa ps3 then u will need to spend 3500-4000rs to get the lens changed. so a little more for 1yr insurance is worth it.

see it basically depends on what kind of deal the person can find.
for example, currently dell.com are selling ps3 80gb for 400$ - 60% (discount) = 340$ plus free shipping plus tax in selected states
other deal currently going on in few Circuit City stores is ps3 motorstorm 2 80gb bundle for rs 350$.

considering after finding a good deal, a ps3 80gb costs, 350$ = Rs 17100

if purchased from india officially, a ps3 80gb costs rs 24000, if u sell the free game for rs 2000, so effective price = Rs 22000

Also if u get SOD, the lens can be replaced for rs 2500-3000 locally.

Conclusion

Buying from US,

Can save upto 1-4k depending on how good a deal you can find and your luck.
Region A for blu-ray movies.
Choice to choose colour of the console (some people like ceramic white).
No Warranty.

Buying from India,

1 year Warranty.
Region C for blu-ray.

Also it should be noted that ps3 is a very stable console and there are very less chances for it getting SOD. However no one is protected against bad luck. In worst case, the lens can be replaced for 3k.
Also if u are a movie buff, and plan to import blu-ray movies from US, as the range is pretty much limited in India, then a console with Region A is recommended. There is a huge range of region free movies but also there are many movies protected to Region A.

All the above said point should help the OP decide whether to buy from US or buy a console locally :cool2:

Id suggest getting 1 from Croma and only Croma because of the fact that they offer a 2 year extended warranty for 750 bucks.

I was one of the few who thought I wouldn't get SOD'ed...and I did...plus it aint so expensive in India either. Cut down on 1-2 games and its the same price.

You've got very valid points dharmilstar.

I agree with the OP ^^ ; 3k isn't much of a save really - question is, if the color + blu-ray matters to you, you should get a US version no doubt. If not, then pick it up locally.

Plus, the satisfaction of buying what your heart desires, walking home with it and setting it up the same day is amazing! =D

dharmilstar said:
Buying from US,

Can save upto 1-4k depending on how good a deal you can find and your luck.
Region A for blu-ray movies.
Choice to choose colour of the console (some people like ceramic white).
No Warranty.

well rather then buying in US u can buy it in HK, if ur flight makes a stop there,since it is cheaper then US.

Get it legit from Croma 2yrs xtra warranty for just 750....i bought the 60gb one from KSA...it was the EU model with full B/C,it got the YLOD after just 5 months...got quoted 10k for repairs...do u want to risk that??

SOD's can be repaired or just 3k...

As for Blu-Rays...most of them are RF..so no need to worry!!

I would suggest the R2/MS2 pack for 24k with Rs.750 xtra for 2 yrs warranty

kris30 said:
the sod problem was faced only in first batch of sku.the problem has been rectified in the new ones

what is your source. has sony released that statement officially?

if thats the case then that is fantastic. please provide a link

Rave said:
just out of curiosity, whats the price of the ps3 in HK? :p

MSRP about 18k for the 80gb version.40gb was available for around 15k but is no longer available.MSRP about 20k for 160gb version.

TechHead said:
^Yes, but why not spend 5k more and get local warranty?

Ya, I get that buying here will give me local warranty. But my problem is, most of the DVDs I already have are from U.S and will not play in the Indian PS3 and also the Blu Rays which I'll be buying will be from the States (Amazon). My friend has a PS3 which he bought from Croma Malad. It literally does not play anything except the region free blu rays. It can only play Region 5 DVDs and Region C Blu Rays specifically. It also did not play "I,Robot" bought from Planet M whcih was region 2 NTSC. Games work fine since I think most games are region free. My main intention for buying a PS3 will be primarily for Movies/ Series and secondary for Games. So, unless a region unlock code or hack comes for the PS3, it will be almost worthless to me!!!

stormblast said:

Just out of curiosity, can you please let me know from which online sites I can order PS3 from abroad??

Back