PS3 Games not upscaling.

Kushagra

Disciple
Hello friends,

I bought a PS3-80GB on diwali and I have 4 games namely.

*GT5-Prologue
*UC1
*Fifa 10
*KZ2

Native resoultion of above games is 720p but none of them are upscaling to 1080p or 1080i.

I'm using HDMI Cable for output and TV used is Sony Bravia KLV-40V550A, Its a fully HDTV still maximum output I'm getting is 720p and Graphics looks blurry at that resoultion.

PS3 upscaler is turned on PS3, Still its not upscaling to higher resoultions.
Please help me out :huh:

Cheers...

Yes I have selected 1080p in HDMI settings, Infact when I start PS3 the startup screen which it shows is displayed at 1080p but when I start a game it switch backs to 720p.

I tried to untick 720p and selected only 1080i and 1080p but then it runs at default 576p, Help me :huh:

I think what u have enabled is both 720p as well as 1080p in HDMI settings.

So the games which officially support only 720p like all your games , except GT5P which supports 1080p.

So select only 1080p in setting and untick the other resolutions like 720p and 1080i

It will work now just fine now. :)

I have tried that and now games will run at 576p and I can't untick 576p coz its default and locked..

Btw, GT5P is not upscaling to 1080p as well..

sushantV said:
Are you using the HDMI cable ?

kushagra2008 said:
Hello friends,

I bought a PS3-80GB on diwali and I have 4 games namely.

*GT5-Prologue
*UC1
*Fifa 10
*KZ2

Native resoultion of above games is 720p but none of them are upscaling to 1080p or 1080i.

I'm using HDMI Cable for output and TV used is Sony Bravia KLV-40V550A, Its a fully HDTV still maximum output I'm getting is 720p and Graphics looks blurry at that resoultion.

PS3 upscaler is turned on PS3, Still its not upscaling to higher resoultions.
Please help me out :huh:

Cheers...

10 chars.

Very strange , up scaling works fine on my PS3.Games like GT5P,MCLA run at native 1080p.

Its either the TV or the HDMI cable which is at fault I guess.

Try another HDMI cable or reset the PS3 settings and try again.

The games run at 720p only, and nvr on 1080p, only the start up screen is 1080p and wallpapers or theme are 1080p, the only 1080p game was mgs 4 that too the gameplay was 720p n in game cut scenes were true 1080p, though the games 720p they look good :)

joy1 said:
Very strange , up scaling works fine on my PS3.Games like GT5P,MCLA run at native 1080p.

Its either the TV or the HDMI cable which is at fault I guess.

Try another HDMI cable or reset the PS3 settings and try again.

When my TV & HDMI are both giving output of 1080p during startup screen, how can be they faulty ?

It has to do something with settings, any person who is using Bravia TV for display can surely help me out..

i have observed the same thing

startup menu in 1080p but games in 720p ; i thought its normal

but i will also try at my end to see if games can also be upscaled..

will let u know tomorrow

^ games are not upscaled. If this were true, all computer games would just upscaled, so what is the requirement for a higher resolution.

There is a reason for the same. Games do not run at 1080p.

eg: Look at the Uncharted 2 wiki . It says native resolution for the game is 720p. That is what is shown on your tv.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted_2

Hey,

Just want to inform you that I have the exact same config as you (TV-Console, etc) and I'm facing the same problem. Apparently after reading through articles on the internet, it looks like that the PS3 doesn't upscale games but plays them in their native resolutions(e.g. 720P). This could be because there isn't a hardware upscaler in the PS3 yet, maybe due to cost cutting. I'm not sure if this issue will be fixed by sony anytime soon, but I hope it answers your query.

Alpha-Q said:
Hey,
Just want to inform you that I have the exact same config as you (TV-Console, etc) and I'm facing the same problem. Apparently after reading through articles on the internet, it looks like that the PS3 doesn't upscale games but plays them in their native resolutions(e.g. 720P). This could be because there isn't a hardware upscaler in the PS3 yet, maybe due to cost cutting. I'm not sure if this issue will be fixed by sony anytime soon, but I hope it answers your query.

Yes, I also did some googling and came up with similar answers.

But what is the use of the games that do support 1080p, 1080i if they are meant to be played in 720p? Is it a joke? :huh:

Well sorry, if I'm missing something here. :ashamed:

Guys,

I think we need to have both the PS3 upscaling turned on, as well as the resolution for TV at 1080p.

I have a projector whose native resolution is 720p but will support 1080p if its fed to it.

Please try matching 1080p on both the ends. I have played games on 1080p, its fantastic. :)

Hope it helps,

Rahul Mengale

Here's what has worked for me:

I just unchecked the 720p option in PS3 Display Settings>HDMI, while keeping all other options checked.

I experienced huge improvement while playing Killzone2 in 1080p (although the box says 720p) than in 720p.

Back