PS4 Teardown

Hello guys,
Over the past two days I have successfully teardown my ps4 and reassembled it again. why? because I want to tear down tech and understand them and possibly modify them.
NGL, was a bit easier than expected. The only trouble I had was with the Security Torx screws sony uses. I wonder why so many screws.
This is the first time I have teardown my ps4 and I wish to modify it further.
I first disassembled it, then re applied thermal paste, cleaned some dust. Surprisingly, there was not much dust considering this thing was from 2016, and used for about 4 years total.
The only thing that gave me some trouble was the cables from the optical drive, which required a little more effort to actually plug it in.
also attached is picture 3 where it looks like I broke some PCB, but it is safe, it is already like this.
it was quite fun doing this and looking forward to more with it.
tell me what should I do next?

2.jpeg

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg

Move to an SSD for faster load times xD. Do you notice any improvement from changing the thermal paste?
Hey,
Yes, moving to an ssd improoves load times, However I don't plan to upgrade my ps4 with an ssd, i am okay with the load times as i rarely play on the playstation.
I moved over to fps shooters. and play mostly pc games, I have recently built my pc as well.
Regarding the thermal paste, I have not played on the ps4 much after reassembly. I just tested weather everything runs fine such as wifi, optic drive, hdd, and gaming for around 5 mins.
I am sure that reapplying thermal paste should have a positive effect as the ps4 hasn't been opened since 2016.
I have other plans for the ps4 though.

Is that a Security Torx T8 screw? I have a PS3 which needs some cleaning but i can't find the Security Torx screwdriver anywhere online. Where did you find one from?
Also, how are the temperatures now after the re-paste? Do the fans speed up during initial boot like jet engines? :banghead:

Is that a Security Torx T8 screw? I have a PS3 which needs some cleaning but i can't find the Security Torx screwdriver anywhere online. Where did you find one from?
Also, how are the temperatures now after the re-paste? Do the fans speed up during initial boot like jet engines? :banghead:
It is a security torx t9 screw.
I wanted to get a good screwdriver kit for myself and got one after starting a tread here.
the one suggested there looked good and i went with it thinking it will have the required Th8 screw. You can also see in the product images that it is having the required screws.
later after getting the screwdriver kit I realized that the security torx screw was missing. Saw videos online where you can use '-' for removing torx security screws, and tried it. However, I realized that the head of the screw will get damaged as shown in the image below.
Finally being frustrated I ordered another one specifically for the torx security.
original screwdriver kit with false advertising:
The one I ordered for torx security screws specifically.
The second kit got the work done, but i felt as the allen size was a bit small, I would definitely not recommend any of the above screwdriver sets.
I am not sure about the temps. Firstly, I don't know how to monitor temps in a ps4,
secondly, I disassembled not because I had heating issues, it is because I was curious to what is inside a ps4.
No, The fans do not speed up like a jet Engine.
FYI, there is only one fan btw,
Image:1 What using a '-' screwdriver to remove torx security results in:
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-15 at 21.03.25 (1).jpeg

Image:2
the screwdriver kit I ordered specifically for the TH9 screws. marker for scale.
WhatsApp Image 2023-03-15 at 21.03.25.jpeg

If you are in bangalore,
I may let you borrow the torx screwdriver set. only if you return them back to me.

Back