PSA: Ongoing payment issues on Steam (possibly only affecting VISA cards)

edept

Disciple
I haven't seen this mentioned on TE as yet, so for those who may not know, a PSA:

Avoid buying games on Steam using VISA credit/debit cards for now, as there have been numerous recent reports of payments being revoked due to some issue (whether on the VISA end, or bank end, is unclear).

This has caused associated Steam accounts to be blocked (maybe temporarily), or potentially restricted in other ways, with related game purchases being removed from the library, and with no clarity on the refund status as yet, either.

I think this might only be affecting VISA cards, and potentially only those purchases where payments have been made without specifically selecting the "domestic" option (that is, where customers have not transacted via the "Novaplay" gateway).

While I haven't as yet seen any reports of the issue affecting other cards, such as Mastercard, out of an abundance of caution, it might be advisable to stick to Netbanking and/or Steam wallet funds purchased via sources such as GamersGift or Amazon (link: https://www.amazon.in/Steam-Store-Gift-Card-250/dp/B0B2CRPSK4, credit to @n1r0), for now. If you still want to try with a card, it would be advisable to ensure selecting the "domestic" option when selecting your payment method.

Earlier my SBI Visa used to work but now it's stopped working so I have been buying steam store cards to solve this. Cannot battle with SBI support.

Steam always had some issue with Debit Card payments. But this VISA issue seems serious:

1698566552452.jpeg

Link to just one of the many such incidents reported. Better stick to gift cards to add Steam Wallet balance for now.

Well, I am having issues even with Domestic Wallet/ Domestic cards. Novaplay is a mess for me currently.

What are the issues you're having?

I reverted to using Net Banking earlier this month when the bank wasn't sending me an OTP for my card (Novaplay's OTP was coming in fine - via a call, though).

I'd only started to use the card because it was Net Banking that was giving me trouble earlier. :rolleyes:

What are the issues you're having?

I reverted to using Net Banking earlier this month when the bank wasn't sending me an OTP for my card (Novaplay's OTP was coming in fine - via a call, though).

I'd only started to use the card because it was Net Banking that was giving me trouble earlier. :rolleyes:
I get an Error after entering the OTP (via call).

I get an Error after entering the OTP (via call).
Damn, if their own system is busted, that's game over for all of the direct domestic options. :dead:

Then how to buy games safely now on steam from india
As mentioned in the OP, you can buy Steam wallet funds from a reliable source such as GamersGift.com or Amazon at https://www.amazon.in/Steam-Store-Gift-Card-250/dp/B0B2CRPSK4 , and then select your wallet balance to make the payment at checkout.

Does Indian Bank issued mastercard like sbi work with steam ?

Do we have to enable international payment etc online on bank site ?

I tried novapay in steam it always stuck or have me error... Then I used gamersgift steam wallet code and it worked..

Steam should allow UPI payment..

I'm not sure if the issue is guaranteed to resolve itself after some time, or whether it requires active follow up with Steam support to ensure the resolution.

I'm also not sure if new VISA payments are still running into the issue, or not.

I tried novapay in steam it always stuck or have me error... Then I used gamersgift steam wallet code and it worked..

Steam should allow UPI payment..
I think Steam allows all types of domestic payments, but those all go via Novaplay's gateway. While I have actually almost never had an issue with Novaplay itself, they seem to drop the ball big time during major sales (probably running on a potato). Maybe you will have a better chance of success if you buy during early morning/late night and after the initial buzz/hype period.

I'm not sure if the issue is guaranteed to resolve itself after some time, or whether it requires active follow up with Steam support to ensure the resolution.

I'm also not sure if new VISA payments are still running into the issue, or not.

I think Steam allows all types of domestic payments, but those all go via Novaplay's gateway. While I have actually almost never had an issue with Novaplay itself, they seem to drop the ball big time during major sales (probably running on a potato). Maybe you will have a better chance of success if you buy during early morning/late night and after the initial buzz/hype period.

Steam is a big big big company... Shame on them for having such abysmal payment facilitator.... They should be worried about loosing business and loosing on potential profit

Proud to have UPI payment in India...

Steam is a big big big company... Shame on them for having such abysmal payment facilitator.... They should be worried about loosing business and loosing on potential profit

Proud to have UPI payment in India...
Eh, according to steam download stats, India has 0.5% of global traffic. Several of my friends (early-mid career, all 1lpm+) still pirate games (except free multiplayer). A huge chunk of steam users in india are college students, who I doubt are spending any appreciable amount of money. I don't think steam is that worried.

I have purchased Skyrim on steam but it always crashes... Just like many other steam games...

But those cra**ed download Skyrim run perfectly fine without crash....

Steam needs to think about this also.. not polishing games and not listening to customer

I have purchased Skyrim on steam but it always crashes... Just like many other steam games...

But those cra**ed download Skyrim run perfectly fine without crash....

Steam needs to think about this also.. not polishing games and not listening to customer
Try to validate the game files once. It works for me.

Back