PSU 1000w ATX 3.0 Buying Dilemma

Let me clear the points below:

1. PSU fan is not an indicator of Healthy or Dead PSU as many PSU have zero Fan profile under certain temperature. My RM 1000X is dead silent as fan never runs. and if it even runs, can't hear it against 13 fans in my system.

2. There is nothing such as compatibility against processor or gpu, ATX 3.0 or PCIE 5 marked PSU means it can handle spike 3 times the watt for sometimes. And PCIE 5 means 12V single 600W cable support. I can be representing it statement wrong in terms of words but you might get a general idea. Like processor (intel) might pull high power from a psu for a certain time and your psu can handle it is what ATX 3.0 for latest gen means.

3. I have not used ASUS psu and I would say way for anything below Strix, but Strix is F**ing Expensive and don't make sense. Choose Corsair, Cooler Master, MSI, NZXT, Antec as per requirement. 1000w is way more than sufficient for you. My recommendation is Corsair RM1000X gold. This thread was just created because I wanted to try the new PCIE 5 compatible out of the box psu. Corsair RM1000X can handle all requirements with ease and will cost 14.5K only.

4. How to check psu is dead or not is simple. Connect case fans to your psu cables where they belong. shot the psu with a jumper in 24pin connector (I use steeple pins :p) and see if the fans get power or not. if fan runs, you are fine, else psu is dead. Next if you have a psu running fan, but system won't boot, check of debugging led lights on motherboard.

5) If you are able to boot to system after above steps. download OCCT and run a power stress test (My RM750 failed here). let it run for 30 mins or 1 hr. if test success, psu is fine, may be ram or motherboard, or gpu is the issue. check for that.

6) You don't need to connect all devices for working state. Its up to you if you want all to be devices to be running from start or else add them later on. e.g I have a 2 tb external always attached to my pc and system works fine. but my second system fails to start of go in boot loop is any external usb device leaving keyboard mouse is attached, due to psu fault.

7) What I would recommend is stay away from gigabyte, asus, May be MSI for After sales service (I personally own 2 motherboard and 2 monitor) and my friend even owns a MSI gpu. No issue). If psu is at fault. just get a Corsair and have peace of mind. if motherboard is at fault, get some other brand, Gigabyte is good in service, poor in quality. you can read the gpu drama currently on breaking pcb. also I did own a gigabyte motherboard and Have rma it like 12 times due to mosfet melt down like 10 years back.

Jump start PSU Videos:
1)
2)
Thank you @princeoo7 and @6pack @dvader (on my main thread) for all your advice on the Initial Checking Aspects of a 1000W PSU ATX 3.0 - I will digest & collate all the important check notes that need to be confirmed and see HOW I can work it out together with my technician too..... [I am 59 years young :Dand assembled over 4 PC's in the past 25- 30 years for my personal use & never RMAed a single component]. BUT I am D E S P E R A T E L Y FcKed with the latest gen of products. Asus gives a thumping 10 year Warranty for these PSU'S - BUT REALITY IS DIFFERENT :arghh: when it comes to Refund/Replacement

So, if I encounter problems tomorrow June 12th-2023 (after getting my replacement) - What are my Options - Which Brand do I Chose for a 1000W ATX 3.0 and DAMM Amazon then or damm the ATX 3.0 even - let me get it from a local dealer. And What if Amazon Still Refuses a REFUND

Thank you @princeoo7 and @6pack @dvader (on my main thread) for all your advice on the Initial Checking Aspects of a 1000W PSU ATX 3.0 - I will digest & collate all the important check notes that need to be confirmed and see HOW I can work it out together with my technician too..... [I am 59 years young :Dand assembled over 4 PC's in the past 25- 30 years for my personal use & never RMAed a single component]. BUT I am D E S P E R A T E L Y FcKed with the latest gen of products. Asus gives a thumping 10 year Warranty for these PSU'S - BUT REALITY IS DIFFERENT :arghh: when it comes to Refund/Replacement

So, if I encounter problems tomorrow June 12th-2023 (after getting my replacement) - What are my Options - Which Brand do I Chose for a 1000W ATX 3.0 and DAMM Amazon then or damm the ATX 3.0 even - let me get it from a local dealer. And What if Amazon Still Refuses a REFUND
Don't panic yet, let's test the new PSU first. I am positive that you will be able to POST with at least one stick of ram and CPU. And do get that buzzer I asked (INR 50-100 max), that's the only way the mobo is gonna talk to us.

Amazon should refund you, but if the replacement PSU doesn't work, we have a problem elsewhere and PSU is not the issue. You will get the same results from other PSUs. Do you have any backup PSU (any brand, any capacity works) lying around? I want to get a verified configuration to POST before testing with the new PSU. This way we have a control configuration and we can test your setup further.

I have an hour or so available today, if you have a temporary PSU lying around I can get on a Zoom session with you.

Last edited:

as dvader said. first try with the psu, even if old one laying around or you can arrange some once for testing purpose. if not then wait for the replacement. there have been many cases even in corsair where the psu was DOA but was replaced and should not be an issue. you can just think it as a back luck. normally it is plug and play even for this generation. nothing have changes that much. only thing I would suggest is to put your attention on 5-6 things.
1) Cables and the way they are plugged in.
2) PSU on/off button. sometimes we might accidentally press it and later find that system is not working. have happen with me and though my psu died.
3) LED light indicator or debugging LCD if your motherboard have one and you can get a post to it.
4) I would also suggest to try to reset the cmos and only try to boot system with single ram stick.
5) Its very rare that your cpu is dead or motherboard is dead as its new. but still if you can't get the motherboard on, try the psu jumper this. worked really well for me in identifying the issue. the capacitor on my RM750 are gone. I had that system off for like 8 months or so. jumper helped me to turn on the psu and charge the capacitor and later I was able to use it for last 1 year or so.
also I would suggest to give up hope of 10 years strong working. always consider 10 years as period of getting an replacement for no extra cost!

as Dvader said. you can connect with him or me if you need assistance over video call :)

Asus gives a thumping 10 year Warranty for these PSU'S - BUT REALITY IS DIFFERENT :arghh: when it comes to Refund/Replacement

Asus in my experience is not a good company for good after sales support especially their laptops which I don't recommend anyone to buy without their ADP(accidental damage protection) plan as their service centres can reject any warranty claim citing "physical damage" even if it has nothing to do with the issue at hand(say a months old minor crack/visible scratch on hinge may get your laptop mobo malfunction claim rejected without ADP plan even if having extended warranty). Even their latest gen AMD mobos were so poor in quality that all major tech sites reviews bashed them for it..

Back