PC Peripherals PSU buying advice for Radeon HD5670

himeshj

Disciple
I've bought Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB DDR5 from Singapore for SGD 120 ~INR 4150/-.Now I need all you good folks to advise me on the PSU. Like I mentioned before, I have an Acer Aspire ASP IQ4830 and being a complete noob, have no idea what kind of PSU will fit inside but I guess, it can't be a very large one.

Would be grateful for your advice with cost estimates if possible. I'm based in Sion, Mumbai. If somebody can point me to a service provider there, it would be fantastic. I have no clue how to install the GPU & PSU myself.

Hi Folks,

Went looking for a PSU in Vashi Plaza(my office is in Navi Mumbai and I live in Sion). The first shop I went to was pushing VIP very hard. SInce I had not heard of the brand, I did not even bother to take down the prices. The next shop I went to had Cooler Master Extreme Power. Quoted 2750/- for 460W, 2850/- for 500W and 3750/- for 600W. He is willing to send his person for installation for 200 bucks extra. Questions for the Gurus:

- Which one should I buy 460W, 500W or 600W?
- How do the prices look? ANother vendor at Kings Circle quoted about 500/- higher and gave me some story about fake stuff at Vashi Plaza which I'm not buying.
- Do I need to look at Corsair etc? The prices are higher by almost 2K but if its needed I am willing to spend it.

I need to buy today so would really appreciate a word from the well informed. My daugher is giving me hell for not doing it fast enough.

if you have that much budget then probably go for corsair vx450w!
although that would be more than you would need.still it would give you plenty of headroom if you wanna upgrade later.
hell it can easily handle 2x5670 easily!
it should be around 3.6k

What is the maximum budget? My roomie uses the 5670 1GB with a Gigabyte Superb 460W. The rest of the specs are Athlon II X2 240, 4 gigs ram, 3 hard drives and a couple of fans. Works well without issues. The total power draw doesn't exceed 150W IINM. If you have a budget of ~3.6-4k, get the Corsair VX450W - comes with a 5 year warranty and is a very good power supply.

I would second that Corsair Vs450W or 550W would be the best and ideal solution although you have not mentioned your system specs.

eBro

Get the Gigabyte Superb 460/ FSP Saga II 350 or if you want te best deal Corsair CX 400

Prices are as follows ( Bangalore, Ankit Computers and Golccha ) -

FSP Saga II 350/400 ~ 1.9K/ 2.2K

Gigabyte 460 ~ 2.2K

Corsair CX 400 ~ 2.7K

but as Demonic has put has put if you want the best of the best Corsair VX 450 W or even a Cooler MAster Real Power Pro 460 W, both cost around ~ 3.6K, hope this helps

abhifusion said:
Dont ever go for coolermaster extreme series , even vip is better than it ! get corsair vx450/550 ...

~Spica Tapatalk~

Do not give wrong suggestions , i am using CM 500w with my sig specs from last 2 years without any problems . I think it is more then enough for a 5670 . Also Corsair 400w with same cost is a better option but you wont find any at vashi plaza . Go to lamington road or shop online .

Open your cabinet and have a look at the specs of the default psu. It should be printed on a label on the side.
If it's more than 500w then I don't think you'll need to buy a new one.
The 5670 isn't a power guzzler so any decent 400w psu would do. Do not buy the Extreme Power series from Cooler Master, I think their rating of 460w is the max power the psu can supply for a limited amount of time, and not the max continuous clean power for extended periods. Get the Gigabyte 460. It's a 400w psu with good reviews, and should be able to supply your system with 400w of power for extended periods, under most conditions.

If you're not comfortable opening the case, see if you can get someone else to do it. Otherwise order the Gigabyte online, and call someone to install the psu and gpu once you've got both with you.

rohan_mhtr said:
Do not give wrong suggestions , i am using CM 500w with my sig specs from last 2 years without any problems . I think it is more then enough for a 5670 . Also Corsair 400w with same cost is a better option but you wont find any at vashi plaza . Go to lamington road or shop online .
I used the same power sully for 1.5 yr , and my gfx card got fried 3 times ...

http://www.techenclave.com/graphic-cards/palit-ati-4850-sonic-burnt-168004.html

Does my suggestion still sound "Wrong" ??

Agree for lower end cards its enough but its definitely not worth 3k ...

Desecrator said:
And how do you conclude that? :)

Above reason + this On CoolerMaster - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

VIP has PFC and 77% efficiency as per their website whereas cm has 70% efficiency and no PFC (PCAR model)... My friend is running C2Q , 4870 , 2HDD , 4gig ram on VIP gold 500W since 2 years w/o any problems ... :)

abhifusion said:
VIP has PFC and 77% efficiency as per their website
And you trust what the manufacturer's website claims?

One of the members on the forum (Sorcerer) had his Powersafe PSU burst and the caps had melted as a result. I think the board died on him.

VIP/Powersafe and CM Extreme series = POS as far as power supplies go.

Desecrator said:
And you trust what the manufacturer's website claims?

One of the members on the forum (Sorcerer) had his Powersafe PSU burst and the caps had melted as a result. I think the board died on him.

VIP/Powersafe and CM Extreme series = POS as far as power supplies go.
Comparing the two according to manufacturers specs , my experience with cm and my friends experience with vip made me to conclude it , I never said its "good buy" though ! heck I'll never compare two bad things again ! Agreed ,both of thm are POS :p

abhifusion said:
I used the same power sully for 1.5 yr , and my gfx card got fried 3 times ...

http://www.techenclave.com/graphic-cards/palit-ati-4850-sonic-burnt-168004.html

Does my suggestion still sound "Wrong" ??

Above reason + this On CoolerMaster - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

VIP has PFC and 77% efficiency as per their website whereas cm has 70% efficiency and no PFC (PCAR model)... My friend is running C2Q , 4870 , 2HDD , 4gig ram on VIP gold 500W since 2 years w/o any problems ... :)
Yeah your recommend for a VIP PSU is still WRONG + what is a Power sully and you are the greatest n00b who actually believes a company website for its claims what its product can do < WHAT ARE BENCHES FOR > anyways I will rate the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Series above any VIP crap

ALPHA17 said:
Yeah your recommend for a VIP PSU is still WRONG + what is a Power sully and you are the greatest n00b who actually believes a company website for its claims what its product can do < WHAT ARE BENCHES FOR > anyways I will rate the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Series above any VIP crap
Learn to read the things before calling others n00b ... Read my first post ... I have not recommended VIP ...

Your view isnt gonna change anything , google about CM EPP series disasters ...

Oh sorry Tech GOD , you got all knowledge about all stuff in fetus itself !! we are poor n00bs , gotta learn lot of stuff ...

I second abhifusion, I too have come to know that VIP PSU's are better than CM Extreme Power Plus series. OFC it's still not recommended but, it is better than CM.

^^

First you buy a card from Palit + Cooler Master eXtreme Power and then complain about it getting fried how intelligent of you :)

Back