PSU for HD 5770

Mechanic

Skilled
hi everyone
my friend has just bought a new rig with hd 5770 graphics card(dunno which brand, didn't ask)
but he has been duped on a cheapo psu(frontech maybe!!)
luckily the rig is just 4 day old and no harm has been done

he wants to buy a good psu
he is on a tight budget of 3k

please recommend a psu for him
he has two in his mind
corsair cx400@2.8k
fsp sagaII500w@2.8k

he is not agreeing over the corsair vx 450@4k(despite my advice)

your gfx card can run on any 400w psu it doesn't matter witch brand i am using a ati 3870 with a amigo 500w psu for last 6 month what was bought from SMC delhi for just 850 and let me tell u it use much more power then ati 5770. but if u really want to buy a psu witch is future proof then add some more money and buy a good 650w or 700w psu i don't know much about psu's but i am using a coolermaster realpower 700w for last few month on my gaming pc and yaa i have to say its a good psu so now its all up to u.

Get this as suggested, "Go for corsair cx400". It is nice to have a decent PSU with external VGAs. Please disregard others.

Just go for the CX400 as many have suggested.

The idea behind of overload tests is to see if the power supply will burn/explode and see if the protections from the power supply are working correctly. This power supply didn’t burn and when we tried to pull far more than it could deliver it would shut down, so this unit passed on this test.

As you can see Corsair could have labeled this unit as a 450 W product, but they decided not to do so probably because of efficiency, which drops below 80% if we pull more than 400 W from it.

Corsair CX400W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

Well... I won't say I disagree with anyone but I can't suggest you to go for CX400 without knowing about rest of the configuration & plan on over-clocking. I bought a XFX HD 5770 day before yesterday along with VX450 as I purchased a Phenom II 955 Black Edition which I intend to over-clock. You should always upgrade keeping a head-space just in case. It's not like your (or your friend) gonna buy a Quality PSU again any time soon so buy the one that is going to cover everything for sire plus some option of future usage. So finally, I would suggest you not to go for CX400 but a VX450.

If he still doesn't understand then sorry bro, listen to the rest but I will still not suggest any less.

^ I agree with aercy..always better to have a little head room, and think about longevity.
Also, i think the vx450 has a 5 yr warranty, and the cx400 only 3.

aercy said:
Well... I won't say I disagree with anyone but I can't suggest you to go for CX400 without knowing about rest of the configuration & plan on over-clocking. I bought a XFX HD 5770 day before yesterday along with VX450 as I purchased a Phenom II 955 Black Edition which I intend to over-clock. You should always upgrade keeping a head-space just in case. It's not like your (or your friend) gonna buy a Quality PSU again any time soon so buy the one that is going to cover everything for sire plus some option of future usage. So finally, I would suggest you not to go for CX400 but a VX450.

If he still doesn't understand then sorry bro, listen to the rest but I will still not suggest any less.
iamddevil said:
^ I agree with aercy..always better to have a little head room, and think about longevity.
Also, i think the vx450 has a 5 yr warranty, and the cx400 only 3.
When a person is running a HD5770 on a Frontech then we can safely assume he is computer nOOb and will have no idea how to O.C his PC.

The CX400 has lots of connectors and would suffice even if he had a PhenomII with a 125w TDP if he doesnt OC. It has got 6 SATA cables and can take a many HDD's.

When he is not ready to spend 4k on PSU then its better to suggest the best possible one within his budget. Its not that he is compromising with a CX400. Its an excellent PSU for that money and a whole grand cheaper than the VX450.

Further the HD5770 is no power monger and consumes 108w max(this happens only when we load the GPU 100%). So avg. power consumption is even lesser.

The VX450 does have its advantages like allowing to go for a better GPU in the future and extra warranty etc... If OP's friends just intend to add a few HDD's and go for a GPU few yrs down the line with similar power consumption as the HD5770(By how the GPU trends are within 2-3 years we would be able to get HD5870 performance with a ~110w power consumption) the CX400 is a decent choice. There is no oher better alternative for it in the sub 3k PSU range.

DarkAngel said:
When a person is running a HD5770 on a Frontech then we can safely assume he is computer nOOb and will have no idea how to O.C his PC.

The CX400 has lots of connectors and would suffice even if he had a PhenomII with a 125w TDP if he doesnt OC. It has got 6 SATA cables and can take a many HDD's.

When he is not ready to spend 4k on PSU then its better to suggest the best possible one within his budget. Its not that he is compromising with a CX400. Its an excellent PSU for that money and a whole grand cheaper than the VX450.

Further the HD5770 is no power monger and consumes 108w max(this happens only when we load the GPU 100%). So avg. power consumption is even lesser.

The VX450 does have its advantages like allowing to go for a better GPU in the future and extra warranty etc... If OP's friends just intend to add a few HDD's and go for a GPU few yrs down the line with similar power consumption as the HD5770(By how the GPU trends are within 2-3 years we would be able to get HD5870 performance with a ~110w power consumption) the CX400 is a decent choice. There is no oher better alternative for it in the sub 3k PSU range.
Well put reply..as always by DarkAngel.

thanks darkangel

i have repped all of you!!

no , he doesn't overclock

what do you expect from a guy who uses frontech psu

my guess is he might have heard the word but he has no idea how to do it!!!!!!(he is even noobier than me)

Anyway his procy ais athlon II635

and graphics card is msi hawk hd 5770

@asingh

thanks man

@aercy

is it absolutely necessary to have vx450?

i asked sudip, he says there will be no upgradation in the foreseeable future

besides darkangels post suggests cx400 can do a 450w at ease!!

aercy said:
Well... I won't say I disagree with anyone but I can't suggest you to go for CX400 without knowing about rest of the configuration & plan on over-clocking.

I bought a XFX HD 5770 day before yesterday along with VX450 as I purchased a Phenom II 955 Black Edition which I intend to over-clock.

You should always upgrade keeping a head-space just in case.

It's not like your (or your friend) gonna buy a Quality PSU again any time soon

so buy the one that is going to cover everything for sire plus some option of future usage.

So finally, I would suggest you not to go for CX400 but a VX450.

That's one sensible post in quite some time. :)

As said, get a CX400 if very cash strapped- 2.7K or less?

Else get a Corsair VX450- 3.5K odd?

He who cannot afford a good psu doesn't deserve a good gfx card. :)

In fact, they shouldn't buy a pc if they are compromising on the #1 component in their rig.

And many new gurus on TE need to update their knowledge/definition of a "good" psu. :)

buddingwhizkid said:
go for fsp saga 500w !

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

how about seasonic S12II 430w ?

Are you suggesting or experimenting at the OP's expense? :S :no:

p.s. You seem to be spamming all over TE- the mods may have already taken note of this. :)

Back