PC Peripherals PSU queries

Hi,

The new PSU's available in the market have 24 pin supply to the motherboard. I have a 20 pin connector on the motherboard. Can I connect 24 pin supply to a 20 pin connector on the motherboard?

Powersafe 350w-400w PSU's. Which shop in Lamington Road can I get these PSU's? Also, are these dual fan PSUs(1 fan at the bottom to suck in air and 1 fan at the rear for exhaust)?

Well the shop which i know in Lamington when sells it is "Cassette World"
I got one for my friend from there a PowerSafe 400W Gold Plated PSU

And yes its a dual fan psu sucks air from one end and throws from other.

I have A7N8X Deluxe motherboard which has 20 pin power connector. How can I connect a 24 pin power cable to a 20 pin power connector?

Firstly, Do you have a 24-pin PSU already?

- If you don't, you needn't worry as 20-pin PSU's are very easily available.
- If you do, I believe most 24-pin PSU's have a 24-pin connector that has the extra 4-pins capable of being removed so that it resembles a 20-pin connector. Also, you could try looking around for 24 to 20 pin converter cables.

Thanks for your inputs Crazy Eddy.
I dont have a 24 pin PSU now.
I have a 300W VIP PSU. I will be buying 6600GT AGP this Saturday and might need to upgrade my PSU so was curious to know about it.
My PSU is rated for 12A on the 12V rail. I have just 1 hard disk and a CD writer which draws power from the 12V rail in addition to my AXP 2600+. My current graphics card is Ti4200. Currently MBM consistently reports 12.28V on the 12V rail.
Will have to monitor the voltage after upgrading and if required upgrade the PSU.
A 350W PSU should be sufficient for me. Only things to look out for is the 20 or 24 pin motherboard connector and dual fan design. Dual fan design will aid in keeping the ambient temp lower by sucking in hot air.

In that case, you need not worry as its quite difficult to find 24-pin PSU's and not 20-pin PSU's. So if you do need to upgrade, should be absolutely no hassle finding a 20-pin PSU. You have already identified the Powersafe as an upgrade path and their 400W/500W models should serve you well :)

Just a small note, the AthlonXP's draw power from the 5v line. Its only the Athlon64s and the Pentium4's that draw their power from the 12v line.

Hmm.. I'm not too sure. One thing I do know is, if your board does not use the additional 4-pin +12v connector from your PSU, then it means your CPU is being powered off the 5v rail. In fact, since your 12v shows a higher voltage, it all the more confirms that your 12v line isnt the one being loaded.

A quick run of any tool like Prime95 etc will maximise power draw, and your 5v line voltage will drop on an AthlonXP system, while the 12v line will rise. Reason being any line thats loaded shows a voltage drop when massive power is drawn. The feedback circuitry in your PSU steps up the voltage output, so that the loaded 5v line doesnt dip too low and this results in your other unloaded line (your 12v line in this case) showing a voltage increase. I myself have an AthlonXP system and can confirm this :)

Some MSI boards use +12v connector like K7N2Delta.All ASUS K7 boards however use the 5v rail.Check out my psu review,u'll see what I mean.
I got a decent smps on sale (check the sig),which I was using on my oc'ed XP system for nearly six months w/o issue.

Yep, I think the AthlonXP's were intended to switch to the 12v line for power draw, but it depended on the motherboard manufacturer to make the change. Asus boards , and for sure your Asus A7N8X does not use the 12v power line, as UT has mentioned :)

Thanx Guys for your valuable inputs.

You were right...my CPU draws power from the +5V rail. MBM shows 4.92V-4.87V on the +5V rail depending on the load.

I upgraded my graphics card to a Leadtek 6600GT. No issues on the +12V rail(12.22V-12.28V in MBM). Everything's smooth so no need for the PSU upgrade at the moment.

Back