PC Peripherals PSU question... O_O

kev182

Disciple
You might have known my TPII 550W randomly blew yesterday....anyway

now i am left with a 500W Zebronics powersupply....

Im really pissed it just blew because i was going to OC the crap out of the 3.0E0 i am going to get today...

Soooo....what i dont know is if zebronic powersupplies are ok for overclocking...

I mean, if it is overloaded will it shut off? or blow up and kill all my components :huh:

What do you mean it "blew" away? Did you see any flames or what?
I'm curious, because I'm thinking about purchasing TP2-550-EPS for my new rig.
If Antecs are blowing out like this, I may have to reconsider buying Cooler Master
RS-550-ACLY, which I earlier though wasn't reliable enough.

Ah ...BTW, be done with this "overclocking" mania. You've already lost your precious. :mad:

- Yamaraj

any powersupply can blow up. Its just the matter of luck.

And kev mostly when you start to reach the limits of PSU you will get instability issues. Like frequent rebooting or BSODs and stuff like that. PSU usually does not blow up like that due to overclocking.

i didnt say my psu blewup because of overclocking.....my antec couldve powered 2 comps of what i had now easily. I believe my UPS didnt stop a surge and some components blew inside....so this is nothing to do with the quality of antec PSU's

And still choose antec....the cooler masters are OK but still not as good.
When Cheap PSU's do reach their limit (my 500W zebe) i have heard they can blow.....
This has happened to me with a comp after I added a new gfx card..

My question is how good is the quality of zebe PSU's.....you think i can go ahead and OC with this?

I have overclocked on zebronics PSU. And Zebronics have also died on me. ;)
But no. it did not harm any of the components in the PC.
Actiually it held up my 6800GT, a8v dlx and Winnie 3200@ 2.6Ghz preety well without too many issues.

kev182 said:
You might have known my TPII 550W randomly blew yesterday....anyway
:huh:
Hey Kev182 , Just out of curosity......
"Blow up" as in some sharp cracking sound (possible cause: fuse blown, transistor shorted, a low ohm power resistor or Diode shorting / open due to over current and others ....)
or "Blow up" as in C4 / RDX explosive type ;) with cracking sound + sparks + smoke.

deejay said:
Hey Kev182 , Just out of curosity......
"Blow up" as in some sharp cracking sound (possible cause: fuse blown, transistor shorted, a low ohm power resistor or Diode shorting / open due to over current and others ....)
or "Blow up" as in C4 / RDX explosive type ;) with cracking sound + sparks + smoke.

...and dead neighbours, of course! :evil1:

@kev182:
Where did you buy your 'blown' Antec TP2 550W from? AFAIK, these models
aren't yet available in our 'beloved' country. If they are ...well, I'm gonna
place my order tomorrow. :yahoo:

- Yamaraj

Last edited by a moderator:
yep, not availble in india.....got it off newegg

Im not going to be in india....living anyway...after september 5th :)

And about the blowing up....

It happened when i was showing a friend at ritchie street my comp...I needed to buy some IPA so i went out to go look for some.

I came back and all of them were staring at me, then...... :S they told me what happened

They said they tried to plug it in to their spike buster 3 times, and all the times they tried to plug it in, my psu blew a fuse in their spike buster....
So they connected it directly to the wall and they send saw a spark, pop + crackle in the psu..

No dead people, no explosion, no smoke :)

BTW: I tried ocing :D, i upped 10FSB and connected my DMM to 12V rail....and WOW

jumping all over the place from 11.30-13.10 and then stabilized at 13.40

O_O

I unplugged the psu and cleared the CMOS...scary stufff :eek:hyeah: and that shows how shitty zebe psu's are

haha.
well atleast mine didnt do such voltage jumping. but ya mine was the server CPU with 8 pin aux and 24 pin connector. the black one. i think i posted about that a while ago here.

hehe..

opened my Powersafe 500W today...layout of Zebby 500W and Powersafe 500W is 100% same..Powersafe has huuuuge heatsinks and better components..so...switch a few components, it'll perform better than pow500 :D good for me :p

^^ Known fact. Powersafe and Zebby employ the same OEM for their PSU's - L&C. Heck, even the model names on the stickers are supposed to be the same on both the zebby and powersafe. As sunny says, the powersafe uses slightly better components and a bit of quality control i'd assume. :)

Back