Budget 0-20k PSU Requirement/Wattage

Din

Disciple
Already checked the Coolermaster/Newegg/Outervision calculators for finding the exact requirement.
Sorry but still confused!

Configuration.
Processor: i3-9350KF
Motherboard: MSI B365M-PRO-VH Micro ATX
RAM: 8GB DDR4 X 2
Graphics card: Planning to get the pretty basic GT 730
Storage: 500 GB M2 as main one and 500GB SSD (2.5 SATA) as additional.

Usage:
Not anything heavy. Gaming but not hardcore.
Movies, music etc.

Using those calculators, I see the power requirement is below 250W.
Which PSU to go for? There are PSU which are below 400W? Any problems using those? Or better to go for 400/450 minimum?

Which PSU to go for? There are PSU which are below 400W? Any problems using those? Or better to go for 400/450 minimum?
Get the CM MWE V2 450W. It's the best in class and I personally use one.

It depends on future upgrade if you're gonna do.

If you think some time later you'll upgrade to higher end components then invest in a higher wattage PSU from the start.
From my personal experience I can say that it's better to do so as PSU is the only component which doesn't get outdated and if you have enough wattage you can keep it until it fails and can be upgrading CPU/GPU without worrying about it.

But with all that said if you're someone who will always stick to low-end PC components and never see yourself running 6 cores and XX60 GPUs or above then by all means 450-550W is fine.

Keep some headroom it is better. 450 watt should be good even in future if you stick to medium builds. However the higher end GPU will require more power. PSUs have years of warranty(mine had 5) so it is kind of a long term investment

450W is more than enough for you for the current setup. If you want to upgrade in future than go with 550W at least. Buy from Corsair or Cooler Master.

Also, one more thing. Usually PSU comes with 5+ year warranty, 10 years in case of gold PSU. So if you are planning to upgrade in next 5-7 years then better go with higher wattage side. I made this mistake myself. I bought Corsair CX 450W PSU in 2019 and now I am thinking about upgrading my CPU and GPU which is forcing me to buy higher PSU. So imo buy PSU keeping that in mind because PSU is one of the things that you will be using for a long time without needing to upgrade.

Thanks a lot for the detailed replies friends. Much appreciated.

Yes, very useful in making the decision. Thanks again.

Also the brands. Which will be better (on a long term basis) as mostly I may go with 450/550W range PSU. Please suggest.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the detailed replies friends. Much appreciated.

Yes, very useful in making the decision. Thanks again.
Also the brands. Which will be better (on a long term basis) as mostly I may go with 450/550W range PSU. Please suggest.
Use this as a reference.. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
CX 450 is a tried and tested PSU, it is really good and not that expensive. You can consider it.

Bought CM MWE V2 450W. Main reason is, not planning any upgrade in 2 yrs. This is for kid and mostly will have to go for laptop by then. Thanks again.

Back