Pune bus driver goes on a rampage; 40 vehicles crushed, many killed

R0H!T

Adept
Woke up to this unfortunate news
<

Pune: A man hijacked a city bus in Pune early this morning and ran amok across crowded areas of the city, killing 9 people and crushing at least 40 vehicles, before he was stopped, the police have said.
Around 30 people injured have been admitted to three city hospitals. Police fear that more people might have been injured.
Santosh Maruti Mane, 39, reportedly got behind the wheel of the bus at the inter-state Swargate bus depot at around 8.15 am, when the driver was not on his seat. Mane is a licensed bus driver and an employee of the state transport department and so had access to a master key which he could use to drive any bus, Pune's Police Commissioner Meeran Borwankar said. Mane is being interrogated and Ms Borwankar said the police would charge him with murder.
The police chief said Mane had reported for duty as usual at 7.30 am, and till yesterday had been regularly driving buses on Pune's roads. Today, he took the bus and began driving rashly, allegedly crushing two people at the bus depot, before driving out and across some of the busiest areas of the city. At that time of the morning, school children and office goers were out and the roads of Pune were crowded. As Mane sped down the wrong side, panicked people were seen pushing school children out of harm's way.
He drove for about half an hour, till 9.15 am, over 16 km, allegedly crushing people, hitting many vehicles and vendors, before he was finally stopped near the Nilayam theatre, another busy area, police said. They said as they attempted to stop the man, shoot orders were issued, but they managed to stop him without opening fire.
Stopping him was not easy. Police erected barricades but Mane knocked those down; he finally dashed against two vehicles and slowed down. People out on the roads helped the police chase him down and a college student, Sharif Kutti, finally managed to overpower Mane and take control of the bus.
The roads which the bus passed through were littered with mangled vehicles including cars and auto-rickshaws and overturned vegetable carts. Initial reports suggested that some of the persons who died may have been sleeping on the pavements.
There were no passengers on the bus, which was scheduled to travel from Pune to Satara later in the day.

http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/...age-40-vehicles-crushed-7-dead-reports-170192

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/pune-angry-public-bus-driver-kills-5/224009-3.html

It was a lucky day for me coz I woke up late....otherwise this all happened on my daily route to office. Can't imagine about those who lost their dear ones today
<

That guy is crazy. Why don't they try such things in the Parliament area of Delhi! It would benefit India a lot!

And the cops cannot charge him with murder. He can be charged with Culpable homicide but not murder. And even if they manage to charge him with Murder, he would be sentenced to punishment for Culpable homicide not amounting to murder only.
<

I was watching regional news chanels and they wre interviewing people of different parties. And these #$#% were just blaming each other for what has happened. Nobody actually cared about the incident or the people suffered. Every F'ing thing is just an opportunity for these people to be in news and throw mud on each other...
<

And the cops cannot charge him with murder. He can be charged with Culpable homicide but not murder. And even if they manage to charge him with Murder, he would be sentenced to punishment for Culpable homicide not amounting to murder only.
<

What are you saying?
<

...yeah heard it over the radio!! Couldn't understand much there as I can't understand 'marathi' much, but then read the news once in office.

Really crazy psycho!!!

Sad for the people who lost their lives and are injured....and image the damage he has done to the streets...

#RVK2488, thats common mate,

These fu**ing politician will make a major political issue if the cock crows at 6:00 am instead of 6:10am

RIP
<

I was watching regional news chanels and they wre interviewing people of different parties. And these #$#% were just blaming each other for what has happened. Nobody actually cared about the incident or the people suffered. Every F'ing thing is just an opportunity for these people to be in news and throw mud on each other...
<

What are you saying?
<

People are talking about psychological tests for drivers in the comments of those articles but tbh I don't think much can be done to prevent incidents like this from happening.

^ Hows that ?? And do you seriously think that 39 year fellow did all that under the influence of some damn video game ??

blame video games?

dont talk like a politician
<

regional news suggested he had mental illness earlier for which he had taken a leave of 3 months or so

he snapped again.

people having such history should not be trusted with the wheels from now on i guess

Back