Storage Solutions Purchase Help : External storage Solution

Hi Guys

Need an external storage solution, so am looking at procuring a 160GB/250GB HDD with 3.5" USB casing.

Having checked up a bit on our forums, I guess Seagate and Hitachi are the most recommended options. Since I haven't used Hitachi before, I am a bit skeptical towards trying that out just for now and hence would like to stick to Seagate (though it runs HOT :mad: ).

Pls help me with the following:
1. Which interface should i go for SATA or PATA? Is 7200.10 PATA even available?
2. Which casing? No Vantecs for me..I need this to be the best VFM option. I'm okay with a PATA HDD if a PATA-USB casing is significantly cheaper than a SATA-USB casing. Approx prices if possible pls.

Requesting quick response as I'll be buying this tomorrow morning.:)

TIA

Cheers!

1. Which interface should i go for SATA or PATA? Is 7200.10 PATA even available?

Go with SATA...and yes 7200.10 PATA's are available at a slightly higher cost usually

Which casing? No Vantecs

Might I suggest the Transcend Sata Casing for around 1700-1800, doesn't have eSata but USB is decent enough for speeds around 35MBPS

as for Hitatchi / Seagate is concerned, my vote goes to Seagate simply because Hitatchi After Sales Service Is Via Dealer rather then Distributor like Seagate's

Sub 1K range would be local casings by Techcom/Zippy etc, SATA casings are around 1200 while PATA casings are around 500, check them out

and after purchase I'd suggest you do a thorough test of the HDD in the Casing to make sure that the casing is working properly

i got my frend a cheap 400 bucks casing - i say avoid it ( he was on a budget). NP is filled with crappy casings all over. i did not find zippy at any shop, if you do get those seem decent to me from what i have read. i my self have a external hdd in a ENTER CASING, got is for 400 - 500 bucks again long back seemed better than the one my frend picked . but then enter was nt available that day anywere.

Thanx guys..I'll see for how much Transcend PATA-USB and SATA-USB casings are retailing for and base my final decisions on that.. :)

If i find Enter, i'll pick that up instead ;)

200mph said:
techcoms are very bad seen quite a few hdd get corrupted in it. stay away from techcom !!

YUP - I have one of these TechCom P.O.S. too. It starts and stops the HDD constantly - good for destroying a HDD in case you want to RMA it. :no:

@AMD4Life .. if you have important stuff to store on the external HDD then PLEASE dont buy a "CHEAP" external case. I have had my share (and more) of headaches from bad external cases.

Hmm..the transcend seems quite expensive. 1.7K seems very high for a metal box. But I've seen it and it seems very well made with a very good finish. Even so, anything over 1K for a casing is too much for me at least.

IMO, if you have less data and don't forsee the need for another HDD and casing in the future, you can go for the transcend. Otherwise, you can go for a Zippy or Enter case. Stay away from Techcom.

Zippy SATA casing is 600 bucks in B'lore.

i bought a PATA Enter case for 650 to use with my 250GB HDD.. pretty much ok case... USB performance is gud although i still haven't got around to really testing it and the build quality is decent enough. It DOES get a little hot though and the paint job s**ks... but its gud for the price... :) Will put up a review soon... :)

Thanx guys for the suggestions..Was at SMC today and was offered me some TechNext casing, which works with both IDE and SATA HDD's..Was in a hurry (lappy issues :mad:) so decided to leave this for the day..Will check it and other options out tomorrow.

Cheers! :hap2:

Thanx to all, more specifically to deepak and the HDD guru Eazy..I decided on a Transcend SATA casing..Though expensive, it looks and feels solid compared to those "el cheapo" casings ;) Still to even test it out once owing to severe time constraints..

Final damage (bought from SMC):

Segate 250GB SATA 7200.10 - 2.9K

Transcend 3.5" SATA HDD Casing - 1.65K

Cheers!

Back