Purchase Xbox for just 3 months?(Usage time)

hyblol

Disciple
As the title says, I'm thinking of purchasing an Xbox for mainly online multi-player gaming on XBL. I will be moving abroad to study in September, so the actual usage time will be somewhere around 3 and a half months if I purchase it in the coming days. Also I own a PS3 since a year. Out of the 7 games I have for the PS3, 6 are available on the Xbox(Uncharted Excluded here)

I've been doing a lot of browsing on the forums and I've come to the conclusion that the :-

1) Online player base of Indians using the Xbox 360 is slightly higher than the PS3 players.

2) Obviously with more players closer to you, there are high chances playing online with better latencies(CoD etc).

3) There seems to be Facebook groups and a larger community where gamers can interact and play with each other at convenient timings.

What I've been wondering is that, is it worth to buy an Xbox(mostly the 4 gb one) along with a few games and use it for a short period and afterwards it just remains there unused for almost a year.

What about warranty? I know we get a year's warranty from Microsoft. Is there any possibility that some places might be offering an additional year's warranty?

Apart from that, the new Xbox looks great and promising. I had the older 2007 core model which got the famous 'RROD'. They seemed to have fixed that.

All answers and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you. :)

Register @ IndianVideoGamer if you want to game with Indian PS3 players. There are quite a few Xbox gamers there as well.

1. Where did you get that first statistic? According to Sony, there are 89,000 people in India who have registered i.e. created an id on the Playstation Network. Xbox might have more, i'm not sure...

2. Yup

My advice, buy a 2nd hand Xbox console, game on it for 3 months and then sell it for an overall loss of maybe 2-3k....

Thanks for your replies.

@ Fahrenheit, there is no solid source behind that statistic. It is just a guess by me in terms of popularity, number of people posting and community interaction.

@ Aman27deep, I am waiting patiently for PSN to come back up again but I'm thinking more long-term regarding the console part.

hyblol said:
Thanks for your replies.

@ Fahrenheit, there is no solid source behind that statistic. It is just a guess by me in terms of popularity, number of people posting and community interaction.

@ Aman27deep, I am waiting patiently for PSN to come back up again but I'm thinking more long-term regarding the console part.
You'll buy a 360 here for 13k, and when you sell it, it'll sell for 9-10k... I don't think its worth that. Moreover you can't take your 360 with you to wherever you're going as its region-locked.

Yes, I am aware of that. Say, if I do purchase one and it lies unused for many months, would it get damaged due to dust and just plain not using it?

hyblol said:
Yes, I am aware of that. Say, if I do purchase one and it lies unused for many months, would it get damaged due to dust and just plain not using it?
Probably not, but that is why i am not suggesting you to buy it. Warranty will be one year only. Though if you want to buy under any circumstance, hunt for an older arcade, its warranty is 1 + 2 years (the latter 2 is only for RRoD but many of my friends have also fixed their xbox'es when it didn't get RRoD durin that 2 year period).

can you tell us where you're going? Cause if you're relocating in Europe/Aus/NZ a PAL console will work. It won't in Japan/America's etc.

Back