CPU/Mobo Purchasing a CPU and Motherboard

abdelazeez

Disciple
Hey Everybody,

I've got a working Celeron 1.7GHz, with 256MB SDRam (2 DDR and 1 SDRAM ports are dead on mobo), nVidia Geforce FX550, and both USB ports dying a slow death. There's a working DVD R/W and CD R/W attached, alongwith and 80GB and a 40GB HDD. Monitor's a 15'' LCD, the Keyboard-Mouse are good too, and so is the SMPS and the ATX cabinet. I've got about 756MB of DDR RAM and 256MB additional SDRam just lying around because of the dead DDR and SDRam ports

It seems the mobo's going down slowly one component at a time; for instance my onboard VGA just conked off one day with no display and some beeps at system startup; switched to the nVidia FX 5500 after that, and it's been working great.

I've been wondering, if it would be possible to use the good/working components from this system to build another system using a new mobo and processor combination. The main uses for the new system would be a) Internet Access (browsing+downloads) & b) Gaming.

I've budgeted about 5K for the upgrade.

Could someone help me with this please? Any guidance would be appreciated.
I was considering checking out some used stuff as well, but couldn't find many good leads from the internet.

I am in Pune, so if you've got any trusty dealers' addresses to share, I'd be really happy with that too.

Thanks in advance for your help and time.

Your processor is compatible only with mobo supporting Socket 478. Sadly, mobo for this socket is no more available as Intel had discontinued Socket 478 processors.

Your only option is to get new CPU + Motherboard @ 5k..

get

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 ~ 2.8k
Gigabyte G31-S2L ~ 2.2k

Sell DDR RAM and get DDR2 instead..

Sounds like a good idea... Thanks for your suggestion. Are there any other options as well?

Hey BTW, is there an AGP slot on that Gigabyte G31-S2L so I could fit in the nVidia FX5500 in it? What about an onboard GPU?

Thanks again. :)

Hey, BTW, does an Athlon II X2 235e: 2.70 GHz compare well against the Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180? Would it fit onto the Gigabyte G31-S2L or will I need to consider something else for it?

dOm1naTOr said:
X2 235 should be lot better than E2180, infact its X2 240 vs E5300.
but X2 needs an AM2+/AM3 mobo.

Oh OK... How much do you approximate the X2 235 + AM2+/AM3 combo would set me back by in terms of money? Moreover, would my existing DDR RAM chips work or would I have to (sell them off &) purchase DDR2 or DDR3?

P.S. Thanks for your help

I see... How much do you think the combination of X2 235 + AM2+/AM3 could potentially cost me? Also, could there be a better combination available in that amount of money?

Get:-

Athlon II X2 240 @ 3.2k
Biostar A785G @ 3.5k
2GB DDR2 @ 1.3k

Total = 8k

Not only is this system way way faster, the onboard gfx is about as powerful as a 6800....way ahead of FX5500....

comp@ddict said:
Get:-

Athlon II X2 240 @ 3.2k
Biostar A785G @ 3.5k
2GB DDR2 @ 1.3k

Total = 8k

Not only is this system way way faster, the onboard gfx is about as powerful as a 6800....way ahead of FX5500....

^^^^Excellent! Thanks to you and everyone else for your valuable inputs and help with this. I really appreciate your taking the time.

Back