Purchasing a new mobile phone : A brainstorming session

medpal

Resident Medic
Skilled
Its one of the new mobile purchase thread again, but still i cant resist the personalised discussion so here it goes :p

So that time of year comes when i am ready to update my mobile. (the virus strikes again :p).

now i have followed some threads on this forum.

As most of people know here i am a doctor so my main requirements are :

Not to bulky (i hate big fat mobile in my pocket)
Design and builtup: will definitely prefer a candy bar, a touch screen will also do. (but i am weary of sliders)
Good Screen
Smartphone / PDA
Wifi
3G (not necessary as i am not sure whether i will use it or not)
Good memory expandability (almost all phones in this category will come with slot)
Good software backup to read e-books in different forms (many of my subject updates are now in e-books an i may have quick read sometimes)
Camera (can be a decent addon)

not interested in
FM Radio
Music

Budget : about 20 k (not fixed can stretch a bit if the suggestion is pretty solid, but not intend to stretch a lot)

Considering these criterias i have short listed a few models.

PDAs :
Dopod D600 (20k)
Dopod 818 Pro (25.5 k)
O2 Xda Atom (27 k)
Imate Jam Black (27 k)

Smart Phones:
SE K790i (18 k)
SE P990i (30.5 k) (way overbudget but i have kept it for comparison

NOKIA N73 ME (looks good than plain and bigger memory card)
So many models in N series i have lost myself some concrete suggestions are most welcome.

There is also E series to choose from so looking at it also but majority are with qwerty KB and becomes bulky.

IMATE SP5 (has my eyes stuck to it, has almost all the featurs i want and has WM5) (21 k)

now i need mobile gurus advise to get one or two suggestion shortlisted from which i wll see and then decide which to buy. :clap:

my target for purchase is third week of april.

the indicative prices are taken from Univercell.in so may be on higher side.

I think almost all windows based mobiles are on the bulky side. I would go for Symbian over WM5, as the former is an OS designed from the ground up for mobile devices, whereas WM5 is windows squeezed onto a cellphone :p

N73 would be perfect for your needs :D You don't need the music edition, so you can save some bucks there. It doesn't have wifi though. IT has 3G, but its of use in India atm. If you really need wifi, do consider the E61. The E-series have the most brilliant screens of all :D
Edit: Touchscreens are almost completely unusable in sunlight.

if i were you i would go for either the Imate or the O2... dopod's are quite good but some how i dont like their build quality...

you can also check out Imate K-Jam though slightly higher than your budget.. but the phone is quite good..

^ For that price range I'd probably wait for the iPhone, its gonna take a while but competitors are gonna put up newer smartphones when it does launch ;)

other then the fact that it is a slider, The new e65 might serve u well
Not to bulky (i hate big fat mobile in my pocket) : just 15.5 mm thin

Good Screen : QVGA 262k 2.2 inches, a bit small but will do the job...

Smartphone / PDA: symbian 9.1

3G (not necessary as i am not sure whether i will use it or not):y

Good memory expandability (almost all phones in this category will come with slot):y
Good software backup to read e-books in different forms (many of my subject updates are now in e-books an i may have quick read sometimes):y

Camera (can be a decent addon): ok 2 mp same as N70

Design and builtup: will definitely prefer a candy bar, a touch screen will also do. (but i am weary of sliders): no
I dunno much abt wm5 devices, just go and chck it out personally.. it feels just right in the hand!

some reviews

All About Symbian Review: Nokia E65

Mobile-review.com Review of GSM/UMTS-smartphone Nokia E65

E-Series » Blog Archive » Inside Nokia E65 - Mini Review

here is the camera review

E-Series » Blog Archive » The Camera on Nokia E65

u can also consider N80 but it is fat and the slider action is not as good as e65..

regards,
aka.

and avoid

K790i: no software back up, no ebook reader, small screen
P990i: unstable firmwares? , decent software backup??

Anish said:
^ For that price range I'd probably wait for the iPhone, its gonna take a while but competitors are gonna put up newer smartphones when it does launch ;)
that wont be anywhere before 2 years atleast...

aka911 said:
OT but are the apps/games for desktop MAC and iphone going to be same??

nope...the software in iPhone isnt a proper MAC OS, its just developed from the same code.. so i seriously doubt that the games are gonna be same..

thanks every one for your opinions.

i am looking for options so please keep them coming.

zhopudey said:
BTW, almost all models from O2, I-Mate, HP, and Dopod are designed and manufactured by HTC :p

rightly said zhops, all are made by HTC just the brnading is different.

Now comes the kahani mein twist

there is an offer fro TOI readers in Ahmedabad.

Offer is DOPOD 818 Pro for 22900 or DOPOD D600 for 19900 plus 200 delivery charges.

this is tempting.

i have got till tomorrow to decide. what say guys?

DOPOD 818 Pro is also known as :
The Prophet
SPV M600
Qtek S200
i-mate JAMin
Dopod 818 Pro
Dopod 830
XDA neo (O2 Germany)
VPA Compact S(Vodafone Germany)

ps : as per univercell.in the prices of dopod 818 Pro is 25500 and dopod d600 is 19990 so still 818 pro is at bargain price. market prices may be lower that univercell prices what say.

btw none of you mentioned about IMATE SP5 (its a candy bar designed WM5 phone with almost all the functions i need)

but The amount of software available is much higher for win mobile then compared to the non-touchscreen smartphones.......

also Sp5 has a good screen, but it is still small ,

ur primary requirement being reading robbins/gray's on the go the bigger screens might be better.....

aka911 said:
but The amount of software available is much higher for win mobile then compared to the non-touchscreen smartphones.......

also Sp5 has a good screen, but it is still small ,
ur primary requirement being reading robbins/gray's on the go the bigger screens might be better.....

robbins ok on the go, but grays never on the go.
because i now work on the top of the body only i dont go below cervial spines :p so dont need on the go.

my majority interst is in pharmac books and some journals.

but the situation i am in right now i think i am not looking for a big screen right now as still a young kid bck home may create havoc, if dropped on floor.

so i am looking at small screen but good looking options.

will look at E65 / SP5/ N73 anything else i need to look at?

yes i know, but to put comparisons mark we have to have some base calculations.

E65 is a slider, what is the current market price around? any idea?

SP5 has only 65k colour screen

so looking around for options.

medpal said:
Its one of the new mobile purchase thread again, but still i cant resist the personalised discussion so here it goes :p

So that time of year comes when i am ready to update my mobile. (the virus strikes again :p).

now i have followed some threads on this forum.

As most of people know here i am a doctor so my main requirements are :

Not to bulky (i hate big fat mobile in my pocket)
Design and builtup: will definitely prefer a candy bar, a touch screen will also do. (but i am weary of sliders)
Good Screen
Smartphone / PDA
Wifi
3G (not necessary as i am not sure whether i will use it or not)
Good memory expandability (almost all phones in this category will come with slot)
Good software backup to read e-books in different forms (many of my subject updates are now in e-books an i may have quick read sometimes)
Camera (can be a decent addon)

not interested in
FM Radio
Music

Budget : about 20 k (not fixed can stretch a bit if the suggestion is pretty solid, but not intend to stretch a lot)

Considering these criterias i have short listed a few models.

PDAs :
Dopod D600 (20k)
Dopod 818 Pro (25.5 k)
O2 Xda Atom (27 k)
Imate Jam Black (27 k)

Smart Phones:
SE K790i (18 k)
SE P990i (30.5 k) (way overbudget but i have kept it for comparison

NOKIA N73 ME (looks good than plain and bigger memory card)
So many models in N series i have lost myself some concrete suggestions are most welcome.

There is also E series to choose from so looking at it also but majority are with qwerty KB and becomes bulky.

IMATE SP5 (has my eyes stuck to it, has almost all the featurs i want and has WM5) (21 k)

now i need mobile gurus advise to get one or two suggestion shortlisted from which i wll see and then decide which to buy. :clap:

my target for purchase is third week of april.

the indicative prices are taken from Univercell.in so may be on higher side.

I doubt whether SE K790i is a Smart Phone???

medpal said:
yes i know, but to put comparisons mark we have to have some base calculations.

E65 is a slider, what is the current market price around? any idea?

SP5 has only 65k colour screen

so looking around for options.

Have you checked this one? Its available in India for around 30k. The newer model is also available with 3G i think.

Eten glofiish X500 - Full phone specifications

Its got all you ever wanted in a cellphone. Only the N95 has more features.

Raghu.

Back