PC Peripherals Purchasing stuff from UK (London)

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
My Friend who was to go to US has delayed his program and another friend is going to UK (London) before him. I am aware that prices in UK might be a bit high compared to US. But I dont have any idea about the online or retail stores in London.

I am basically looking for a 20" LCD, a Fan controller and a few other things. Is it Ok to purchase this stuff from UK. Are there any risks involved in getting the stuff here. I would appreciate links to good online stores in UK or retail stores in London.

The price diff between UK n India is not much, compared to US. Bringing a big LCD will attract high Custom Duties, n when u add that Duties on the original price, you will end up with a price that is more then the current Indian prices. Bring something small, like a SoundCard, GPU, RAM, Mp3 player, CPU or a Water Cooler. And you must be more then surprised to see that Dell LCDs are priced just little bit higher(1K-2K) in India as of most of the countries incl EU USA n SG.

^^No duties... all you need to do is smooth talk the customs guy :p. I paid nil duty for my display. Videocards are cheaper in the UK than india for sure. Rest I have no clue :p.

UK is expensive for nearly any electronics/PC peripherals

The retail stores are horribly overpriced, and the online order sites are also more expensive than India for pretty much everything....Add their VAT to it, and you are way better off buying the stuff in India....

unless it'ss something that you can't get at all here (which really isn't the case for nearly anything)

how do u get displays from US here without paying customs...

tell me of a way, so I can get sm 23" display next time sm1 comes frm US..

No, but GPUs are definitely cheaper there..... When 7800GTs were retailing for 24K here, it was 16K there including VAT. We had a member from UK who was active some time back..... He mentioned the price in some thread....

But now, cards are quite cheap in India itself...If you have to get a card, then get an X1800XT from UK.... if it is in the price range of 15-16K

superczar said:

The retail stores are horribly overpriced, and the online order sites are also more expensive than India for pretty much everything....Add their VAT to it, and you are way better off buying the stuff in India....

unless it'ss something that you can't get at all here (which really isn't the case for nearly anything)

I agree with u. My uncle who lives in UK, told me that some hardware there are more exp then even in India. He said he was thinking of buying a Notebook from India, becoz its much more exp in UK. No trust me this is the truth. But talking about GPU n CPU, then they are definatly cheaper there.

superczar said:

You can get your entire VAT back when you return at the airport as long as you get the VAT form filled from the retailer (not a problem at all).

You can get your entire VAT back when you return at the airport as long as you get the VAT form filled from the retailer (not a problem at all).

yes everything in uk is costly.... except gpu and certain cpu's. i wanted a UV cable that was priced at 2 1.5 pounds and with the vat and shipping it came to 10 pounds!! shucks!

www.ebuyer.com

Komplett.co.uk

Micro Direct Ltd - Quality Computer Components

dabs.com - PC Hardware, Components, Software, Digital Cameras, MP3 players

computer components pc systems, parts & peripherals aria

SVP - Buy blank disc media at the cheapest prices. DVD+R, DVD-R, blank CDR discs, paper & compatible ink (only for optical media)

Best thing to do over there, where you save loads of cash...is computer fairs, they are everywhere every weekend and you can pick up some serious bargains!! when your there ask around and you would know abt where the fair is held in london :D..

Back