OC & Modding Push Pull fans for CPU Cooler

bobbyprajan

Disciple
I want to use a push pull fan arrangement for my cpu cooler. Both fans are identical make and model. However i can power only 1 fan from the CPU Fan header which is a 4 pin type (PWM).

Where do i connect the other fan to ?

When they are spinning at different speeds will it affect the airflow negatively ?

What is the recommended setup in such a scenario ?

The motherboard is Asus M4A785TD-V-EVO, Processor is Phenom II 965 BE, CPU Cooler is CM Hyper 212 and fans are CM 120 mm 69 CFM fans

The best answer as with most of the cases is "it depends"

If your board has an option than you can put second fan at system fan switch or otherwise you are left connecting it to PSU.

Additionally I think for this cooler CM suggested that if you are using 2 coolers than they should blow air in same direction and second fan should be on lesser RPMs than the first one.(I can not recall where, but I surly did)

So considering this and try yourself.

good luck

bobbyprajan said:
I want to use a push pull fan arrangement for my cpu cooler. Both fans are identical make and model. However i can power only 1 fan from the CPU Fan header which is a 4 pin type (PWM).

Where do i connect the other fan to ?

When they are spinning at different speeds will it affect the airflow negatively ?

What is the recommended setup in such a scenario ?

The motherboard is Asus M4A785TD-V-EVO, Processor is Phenom II 965 BE, CPU Cooler is CM Hyper 212 and fans are CM 120 mm 69 CFM fans

there should be another 3 pin header for backpanel exhaust fan..try to connect there or 3pin>molex convertor.

I feel Hyper 212 does not benefit much from 2 fan combos.....its better to use 1 HIGH cfm fan.
get 2 high CFm fan + really good cooler for better ocing results

Well your board has:

1 x CPU fan connector

1 x Chassis fan connector

1 x Power fan connector

What is the issue then.

Well, the Chasis fan and Power fan connectors are already in use. My main concern is synchronisation of the 2 fans on the heatsink due to the different speeds they spin at.

I don't think using push-pull config fans at different speed will affect performance negatively. I see no reason that fan's at different speed in push-pull config will hamper performance. So, you can do with fan at different speed or for the matter you can use two different fans. No problem.
It won't affect negatively unless fan's are in push-push or pull-pull config :p

If you intended to run fan's at same speed, use two 3pin fan connectors on motherboard and use molex connector for other fan's in your rig. OR use molex connector for both fans. Even you do this, the speed will not be same ideally(there will always be difference say of 1rpm :p).

All you need is this a 3 Pin Y Splitter -
3-pin-cable-splitter-3-pin-y-splitt.jpg

i think KMD has it. this will set you back for around 60 bucks i think..

Back