CPU/Mobo Q6600 with Hyper TX3 cooler running at 75-76C under load.

Rogues

Disciple
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Hyper TX3 cooler and a CM 430 Elite from SMC.

So I go about installing the computer from scratch with a new RMA'ed Intel DG33 Motherboard. I install a second generic fan on the TX3 blowing air towards the heatsink (Stupid I know). The case is as it came, with one front 120mm fan blowing air over the Hard Drives. It gave me idle temperatures of around 46C and under load gave me around 63C. I used the thermal compound that came with the heatsink. I also used this thermal compound on a buddies two year old computer which we cleaned and then reinstalled. So basically I'm out of the Cooler Master thermal compound.

Day before yesterday I realised my mistake about putting the second fan towards the heatsink. It just came out of the blue when I was riding back home from college. Mind you I've done many PC installs before, it's just that I have been installing computers for the 'normal' people and was oblivious to the existence of all these awesome products. As a heatsink thermal compound I've always used the Nepali Heatsink Thermal Compound. It's worked for me since the average person here never buys anything better than a Core2Duo and that is in general a cool running processor. Anyways I go to the computer store around town looking for a good thermal paste,and none of them have it..I mean none of the shops out of the dozen I visited around town had any at all. Then I asked a few of shops what they used for thermal conductivity between the Processor and Heatsink and they presented to me the same small box with a red cap labeled Nepali Heatsink Thermal Compound. I smiled to myself and figured that'll have to do and bought one for 40/-. I came back home,removed the motherboard, cleaned the processor and heatsink with alcohol and applied the Nepali Heatsink Thermal Compound using the line method,which I use for all Core2 Series processors.

I boot up the computer,and see the idle temps at 42C and am thrilled,also my 8500GT GPU idles at 55C which is extremely cool considering that it is a Silent Version from Asus. My motherboard is also running cooler at 40C. I decide to run a stability test using Everest and check the termperatures using Speed Fan and HWMonitor. I start the test and observe the temps. My heart sank when I saw the CPU touching 75C underload after around 4 minutes. Isn't that insanely high? So what's the problem here? Is it my thermal compound? If so what alternatives do I have? I feel paying 50-60/- as shipping for a 200/- rupee product is rather stupid. Anyways I'm going to include a few snapshots and then a brief summary for people who can't be arsed to read the whole story. =P

Brief Summary :- ( Speed Fan Temps!)

Q6600 with Hyper TX3 and Cooler Master Thermal Compound with a second fan blowing air towards the heatsink (Stupid!, I know):-

Processor at Startup - 49C.
Idle - 52C.
Under Load - 65C.
Motherboard at Startup -43C, idle-43C, Underload - 47-48C.
Graphics Card at idle and startup - 65C, Underload - 78C.
Three HDD's - 36-38C.

Q6600 with Hyper TX3 and Nepali Heatsink Thermal Compound with the second fan blowing air away from the heatsink :-

Processor at Startup - 44C.
Idle-55C.
Under Load - 75-76C.
Motherboard at Startup -41C, idle - 44C, Underload - 46-47C.
Graphics Card at startup - 55C,idle- 64C, Underload - 67-68C.
Three HDD's :- 38C

Guys, after my expenditure of about 4.1k on Cabinet and the fan, I'm pretty much broke for this month. Until I get another request for assembling a computer or repairing something I'll be that way and I have no idea when that will be. I'll have to ask my mom for money which sucks, I simply hate asking for money, so unless it is completely certain to solve my problem I want to refrain from getting anything. That being said I had set aside 500/- to get a new 120mm case fan for the rear as exhaust but guess what!?,above 80 mm they have nothing here.

If you need any other info let me know. Also if you notice different applications report different temperatures which is extremely weird.

Anyways ,Thanks for reading, and if you read the whole thing, I have to tell you, You have a lot of patience. =D

System Specs.

2ngh66u.png

I know the problems with the RAM, I have a 2GB stick @ 800Mhz returning from RMA in a few days.

Inside.

44643152127231469909100.jpg

Load. ( 2nd Config using Nepali Thermal Compound)

mvkmxt.png

Idle. (2nd Config)

heat2.png

Nepali Heatsink Thermal Compound. =P Taken with an E63,crappy quality.

24082010002.jpg

Cheers.

i have not read you post carefully.

but this post is just a general thought.

There have been quiet a handful of cases off lately regarding CM TX3 and high cpu temperature. Makes me think about reliability of the Sink. Cases that involves TX3 yielding worse results that stock intel and amd heatsinks..

Edit:

I see two fans on the HSF.

make sure both are moving the air in same direction.. that is, towards the rear of the cabinet.

if both fans are throwing the air inside the sink then that is gonna hurt the performance drastically.

Two PC's man,if you'd read my post you would have known...but I won't blame you for not reading it =P

Anyways I apply it using a line method,spreading it as a line on the centre of the Processor and keeping about a 1mm away from the sides.
Cheers.

Rogues said:
Two PC's man,if you'd read my post you would have known...but I won't blame you for not reading it =P

Anyways I apply it using a line method,spreading it as a line on the centre of the Processor and keeping about a 1mm away from the sides.

Cheers.
If u have Intel original HSF then try it and monitor temperature. May be TX3 not seated properly.

See if you can get better TIM, and reseat the HSF. Also reset the BIOS once, so you are sure the CPU is running on stock.

asingh said:
See if you can get better TIM, and reseat the HSF. Also reset the BIOS once, so you are sure the CPU is running on stock.
Will do that but it's an Original Intel Motherboard,it has no options for overclocking.
Cheers.

I would say get new TIM from SMC. Remove the crap Nepali TIM from both the IHS and the HSF. Apply a thin and uniform layer of good TIM on the IHS using the TIM spreader (included with TIM). Reseat the HSF correctly.
Also setup the 2 fans in a push-pull config (so that they blow air towards the rear of the cabby).
Also as suggested by others, try using the stock intel HSF and record the temps. If they are lower, then its the TX3 which is not good enough.

That's a very good post- with not only screenies and pics but also a proper description and numbers.

You also seem fairly knowledgeable about the stuff you do.

I am not sure if you really need help coz you seem the type who is able and willing to help others. :)

Here are a few things that i hope you don't mind rechecking-

(1) Please check if all pushpins are turned around to normal position and locked in properly.

Sometimes we forget to turn a push-pin or 2 back to it's original position after unmounting the cooler.

As a result, the push-pin goes in but doesn't lock and may pop out later.

Sometimes, a push-pin may go almost all the way in but may not have 'clicked', only to pop out later.

I know it sounds silly but has happened before.

(2) The fan near the RAM is blowing/pushing air through the cooler and the fan near the rear of the case is sucking/pulling air out of the heatsink?

(3) You know your line method for Core2Duo and you have done it many times too.

But i hope you remember that the line of TIM for the Q6600 is to be applied with the chip turned around by 90 degrees.

Simply put, if we place the processor in front of us such that the details on the IHS are readable-

C2D = vertical line; C2Q = horizontal line

Arctic Silver Incorporated - Home

But i am not sure if the same method will work for the generic TIM you used, especially considering the fact that the Hyper TX3 is a cooler with naked heatpipes at the base.

Maybe you need to spread a thin layer on the IHS and/or the base f the cooler.

(4) It has been noticed that HDT-type or naked heatpipe base type coolers do not give consistent performance at all times, especially when taken off and remounted frequently.

Some have had to refit it quite a few times to get the initial performance.

Please remount the TX3 and check again.

Also, like others have said, if you have the time and patience, use the stock cooler with the same TIM (unless you get good TIM) and check the temps.

p.s. Please get a tube of good TIM.

And no exhaust fan/s for the case?

is there any chance for RMA for TX3 ? i am having horrible time with my TX3 too. normal temps are around 40's and full load goes to 69-70 ( AMD Athlon x4 630).

I don't know about that, but aren't AMD's suppose to run cooler? I read quite a few reviews before getting this,and it seemed like a great cooler for my budget.

I didn't have time today guys but I'll post some specs with the stock heatsink fan by tomorrow.

I added a 9cm exhaust fan at the rear of the case, I checked temperatures on the stock heat sink fan after using a considerably better paste. The idle temperatures were around 60C and it rose to 70-75C whenever I would open up opera or codeblocks. I never ran a stress test, already certain that the temperatures would touch insane numbers.

I used this better paste on the hyper TX3,and idle temps are around 50C. Considering that my room is around 25C I guess it's alright. It maxes out at 68-69C under load,7-8C lower than before. It's an improvement and I hope to see a little more after a couple of days. For now I guess this will have to do,once I get a couple of jobs I'll get the Artic MX2 Compound and hopefully that will work a lot better.

I'll keep this short since I've had a long day and I need sleep. I'm welcome to anymore suggestions as long as I don't need to spend an ungodly amount of money. =)
Cheers.

Alright after the temps constantly stayed around 75C I was worried and took it to the dealer from whom I bought the motherboard and the processor,he said that as long as the P.C. doesn't shut down due to a thermal trip I have nothing to worry about. If it does then he told me that he will arrange an R.M.A for both the board and the C.P.U ....So I guess all I have to do is be ignorant.

Anyways I ran into some cash recently and I'm getting a second hand 9800GT and two three 120mm case fans!
Cheers.

Back