Budget 0-20k QHD or FHD monitor to connect to surface pro 6

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
I have a surface pro 6 that I'd like to connect to an external monitor. I'm not sure about a few things, since I'm not in touch with the PC peripherals scene for a very long time. Please clarify the following:
1. What type of panel should I go for? IPS or VA or TN?
2. Quad HD or Full HD? I am not looking for a huge monitor. 22" to 24" should be the maximum. I will be working at close range only, and may be watching movies from 3 to 4 ft away.
3. Should I be worried about getting one with a high refresh rate? My use case is mostly routine browsing and office work, and occasional binge watching web series. No gaming.
4. The surface pro comes with a miniDP port. Should I look for a monitor with DP input so that I can use a miniDP to DP cable, or would any monitor with a HDMI input be fine?

I would prefer one with a non-reflective matte display. I am not in a hurry and can wait for any sale. I will be buying online only. Please suggest some options.

Well to begin with ips displays are the best in terms of viewing angle and colour accuracy.
So would suggest going down that route
And next quad hd or 1080p
It's upto personal preference
If working with text more resolution is better as the texts will be clearer.
Without mentioning a particular budget it would be unwise to make suggestions

Are you going to work anything which requires color accuracy or are you looking monitor for normal usage like mostly dealing with Ms office apps

For me FHD IPS DISPLAY is goto as normal choice unless u have any specific requirements

Without mentioning a particular budget it would be unwise to make suggestions
Yeah.. forgot to mention that. I'm willing to spend up to 15k on the monitor.

Are you going to work anything which requires color accuracy or are you looking monitor for normal usage like mostly dealing with Ms office apps
The latter. Mostly office apps, browsing the web, and occasional binge watching.

Yeah.. forgot to mention that. I'm willing to spend up to 15k on the monitor.

The latter. Mostly office apps, browsing the web, and occasional binge watching.
Go for this: https://www.amazon.in/HP-X24ih-23-8-inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B08ZCXZ7F1

With SBI card discounts, it fits under your budget. And It suits your current needs, and can use it as a gaming monitor if you decide in future to do so.

Or you could go for the cheapest, positive rated IPS monitor to save money if you're absolutely sure you wont be gaming in future.
This one looks good: https://www.amazon.in/LG-22-inch-IPS-Monitor/dp/B09GWB35XV

What type of panel should I go for? IPS or VA or TN?
Go for IPS or VA, both should be fine for day to day usage. IPS is recommended, but VA isn't bad either. Don't go for TN panels.
Quad HD or Full HD? I am not looking for a huge monitor. 22" to 24"
Full HD is fine. I'd recommend QHD, but there aren't a lot of 24" QHD monitors, so no point in recommending one. My personal preference is >150 ppi, but that can be a bit expensive. So full HD will work for you. At 22", it will be close to 100 ppi, similar to a 15.6" laptop with 768p display. At 24" full HD will be ~92 ppi, which will require you to sit at a slight distance to avoid seeing the pixels.

This matters mostly for working with text. The difference is hardly perceptible in movies and videos.
Should I be worried about getting one with a high refresh rate?
No, 60-75 Hz. is enough for regular use. You'll not see any difference with higher refresh rates unless you'll already used to a 144 Hz display. To top it, many computers might not even support 144 Hz out of the box. I'm willing to bet that your laptop wouldn't support anything above 75 Hz. So you'll get a high refresh rate monitor and run it at a low refresh rate.
The surface pro comes with a miniDP port. Should I look for a monitor with DP input
Most monitors in your price range should come with at least one display port anyway. But it would be a good idea to check. You'll find adapters for HDMI as well, so it's not a big thing to concern yourself over.

Thank you all for your detailed replies. I have decided to go for a full HD 22" monitor based on your inputs. It seems there are many options to choose from. Will check them out. Are there any brands that I need to avoid, and any that I should prefer?

Thank you all for your detailed replies. I have decided to go for a full HD 22" monitor based on your inputs. It seems there are many options to choose from. Will check them out. Are there any brands that I need to avoid, and any that I should prefer?
LG is generally seen as the preferred choice for monitors. But beware that there can be quality control issues. I mean same model monitor will have different ips bloom/glow. I'll suggest purchasing from someplace which can accept returns in case your luck turns out to be bad.

Back