QoS question with Linksys WRT54GL and Tomato

warum

Recruit
So I finally replace my DI-624 piece of junk with the WRT54GL and it has been fantastic. No more disconnects through the day!!! Anyway, I have a question about QoS:

I ran a speed test and got my up/down numbers and plugged them into QoS. 6500kbits/s down, 420kbits/s up. Those are 95% of the lowest figures I got running the speed test. Last night I decided to try and max out my upload and play a game, to see how QoS handles the traffic (I setup dst port 27015 as high priority and torrents at lowest priority). I took off the cap of 15kB/s upload in uTorrent and let it go as fast as it can and then fired up team fortress. At first, my ping was 300ms. I then lowered the upload speed of 420kbits/s in QoS to something like 380 and got my ping down to 55ms. No matter how much more I lowered the upload speed, my ping would not go below 55ms. Then I put the cap back on uTorrent and my ping went down to 26ms (what I usually ping on the server). uTorrent was pretty much the only program uploading so I had plenty of free upload speed when the ping went down to 26ms.

My question is, is the ping being twice as slow a result of the extra processing necessary to prioritize traffic when it is maxing out the value you plug into QoS? Thx!

Back