Audio Q's reg saxophones and learning music in general

Grease Monk

Intertoob Ninja & Hamster Hunter Extraordinaire
Adept
I realize I tend to make my posts way too long, and I lose out on responses because of it. But please, if you know anything about learning music and\or saxophones in India, I would appreciate your help.

I learned to play the piano for about a year and a half when i was in the second grade before my teacher moved out of town. i was in a no-name town in Saudi then, and finding piano teachers wasn't very easy. and i never really took it up again even after moving back home a couple of years later. very regretful in hindsight (as most things are :p ) Only now am I realizing what I left behind. I would like to take up music again, but the thing is, I wasn't very good to begin with. I knew people with barely any more experience than I had who were able to play pieces after hearing them a couple of times, while I was stuck fumbling around reading sheet music.

I was wondering if that sort of natural talent is a requirement for getting into music. Not a professional level by any means, but to a level of competence where you can say, “i play the guitar\piano\sax...â€. This is important to me, because im interested in learning to play the saxophone, which, when used as a jazz instrument, is centered around improvisation. But my history with music somehow tells me that my prospects might not be as picturesque as i'd like. I guess my question is this: can someone, who, lets assume, has a below average ear for music become proficient with regular (daily) practice without it getting in the way of one's normal life?

Another thing holding me back has been cost of entry. Before the sax, I was (and still am) interested in playing the drums, but portability and neighbor-friendliness required me to look at electronic drumsets. After some research, I realized it was way out of my budget with decent starter kits at around $800 to $1000. Now, im wrestling with the same issue with the saxophones. One of the most popular recommendations for student sax's are the Yamaha YAS-23's . Its around $600 in the states, and Rs 54k on bajaao.com both of which are well out of my means. Even the lower end student sax's are around $200 (used Bundy II's and the like). But I read on a forum where someone said to avoid Indian and Chinese saxophones despite their alluring price. I wanted to know what the price range of locally made sax's are in India. I'm not too worried about sound quality as I plan to use it just to learn. And if im any good after a couple of years, I want to switch to the baritone sax anyway, as its what im really interested in (student saxophones are primarily alto sax's). But it has to be reasonably durable. Also, how is the availability of things like reeds, mouthpieces and repair services for saxophones in India?

Thanks in advance.

There are lots of Sax players on the circuit, but the instruments are expensive. That would be the extent of my knowledge on Sax.

About your first question.

I started playing guitar at the age of 28. I had never in my life touched a musical instrument (apart from fooling around at the compulsory music classes in my public school) seriously.

I took it up as a fun way to pass some time, and because I though it was easy. It wasn't, but I dug my heels in, and stuck with it. I always thought rhythm was my thing, but my timing and touch were totally off to begin with. I practiced really, really hard, because I had no natural talent at all. I consumed theory voraciously, but didn't learn to read music (still can't). I got good fast, joined a band, played really well for about six months. I had about four years of a decent run under my belt, all this with slightly underdeveloped motor skills and NO ear. I repeat, NO ear. I could only play if you told me "Three bars of G, two bars of E and a bar of D", and played the rhythm for me. But it was still good enough in a band situation, and with some backing I managed to get by.

Then I stopped playing, for some very stupid reasons. For about three years, I hadn't touched the guitar at all. Now I'm slowly finding my chops again, and learning new things. I started messing with chord melody, mixing my rhythms, and have gone right back to the basics. I find this journey slower, but more relaxing, more of my own thing. I've stopped trying to play covers and keep up with music. I prefer an open situation with a pianist and another guitarist, or a singer. We also play the little pitch pipe I tune my guitar to - it ha only one note, A.

I'm sorry if I rambled. The point is you probably need to ask yourself what your musical goals are - campfire? band? professional? celebrity? Talent is good, but it's no substitute for hard work. Motor skills lead to timing lead to accuracy lead to familiarity lead to ear development, and any other combination thereof. Your body has to train to this new activity. Just like bodybuilding, or driving a car. You get a grip on the basics, then the expansion is up to you. If you just want to play a few songs to impress a few people, it's probably not too tough. If you want to play improv in a jazz quartet, more dedication is required. Natural talent helps, but sometimes it makes you lazy...

thank you, sangram for the post. it got me off my butt, and made me get myself an instrument. sadly it wasnt a sax...maybe later. i got a sexond hand Hohner HW300 'Countryman' acoustic guitar for $65 instead. Seems to be in decent condition (minus some cosmetic defects) and it had positive reviews.

Once again, thanks!

great going mate
i'd also advice learning a saxophone.but not at home coz its techniques are way different from learning guitar or piano.although the only thing thats p.i.t.a are slurred and non slurred articulations.and the woodwind family is easiest to write in whole orchestra.too bad sax isn't included in modern orchestra.
But if u can find a group to learn that would be awesome.and have a look at Wallander Instruments Wivi if u need to play at home,coz i think it costs pretty less

Grease Monk said:
thank you, sangram for the post. it got me off my butt, and made me get myself an instrument. sadly it wasnt a sax...maybe later. i got a sexond hand Hohner HW300 'Countryman' acoustic guitar for $65 instead. Seems to be in decent condition (minus some cosmetic defects) and it had positive reviews.

Once again, thanks!

brilliant acoustic for that price !

sangram said:
There are lots of Sax players on the circuit, but the instruments are expensive. That would be the extent of my knowledge on Sax.

About your first question.

I started playing guitar at the age of 28. I had never in my life touched a musical instrument (apart from fooling around at the compulsory music classes in my public school) seriously.

I took it up as a fun way to pass some time, and because I though it was easy. It wasn't, but I dug my heels in, and stuck with it. I always thought rhythm was my thing, but my timing and touch were totally off to begin with. I practiced really, really hard, because I had no natural talent at all. I consumed theory voraciously, but didn't learn to read music (still can't). I got good fast, joined a band, played really well for about six months. I had about four years of a decent run under my belt, all this with slightly underdeveloped motor skills and NO ear. I repeat, NO ear. I could only play if you told me "Three bars of G, two bars of E and a bar of D", and played the rhythm for me. But it was still good enough in a band situation, and with some backing I managed to get by.

Then I stopped playing, for some very stupid reasons. For about three years, I hadn't touched the guitar at all. Now I'm slowly finding my chops again, and learning new things. I started messing with chord melody, mixing my rhythms, and have gone right back to the basics. I find this journey slower, but more relaxing, more of my own thing. I've stopped trying to play covers and keep up with music. I prefer an open situation with a pianist and another guitarist, or a singer. We also play the little pitch pipe I tune my guitar to - it ha only one note, A.

I'm sorry if I rambled. The point is you probably need to ask yourself what your musical goals are - campfire? band? professional? celebrity? Talent is good, but it's no substitute for hard work. Motor skills lead to timing lead to accuracy lead to familiarity lead to ear development, and any other combination thereof. Your body has to train to this new activity. Just like bodybuilding, or driving a car. You get a grip on the basics, then the expansion is up to you. If you just want to play a few songs to impress a few people, it's probably not too tough. If you want to play improv in a jazz quartet, more dedication is required. Natural talent helps, but sometimes it makes you lazy...
great post bro !:hap2:

Back