Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite - looks like the Windows world’s answer to Apple Silicon

Yeah - I was kinda hoping that the older issues get sorted out in the rewrite.
TBH i do not care about gaming on windows - not that I dont use it but I am happy to use consoles exclusively if it results in better focus on other core bits

Hopefully - i know that I will want to get a WoA machine anyway but at the moment, it appears that I will defer it to the next gen
Yes. 2nd or 3rd gen would be better. If and only if MS does not do to WOA what they did to Windows Phone. I would love to have WOA laptop for work but Intel has a bloody stranglehold in offices. These infra guys only know Intel (be it servers or laptops or desktop). They wont even try to look beyond. I have a one year old Latitude from work. Pathetic battery making me keep the laptop always connected (barely 3 hours battery life) and as a result, battery health is down to 80% in just one year.

BTW is docker on WSL still "fake news" ? Meaning, does it run Hyper-V based VMs instead of the intended lightweight containers using Linux cgroups thingy?

I remember recently reading (on Phoronix I guess) that MS will soon upgrade the WSL2 kernel from 5.15 LTS to 6.6 LTS so looking forward to what improvements (and bugs?) that brings.
I think its CGroups since WSL moved from Hyper-V in wsl2 and runs the native kernel with emulation layers on top
I mean dont get me wrong, I am not a security/ privacy fanatic.
But it bugs me no end (for example) when simple things get stuck because the OS wants to check for 20 things in the background and also make them essential checks.
(eg Resume a PC from sleep and waiting till the network stack can call home and confirm to the rest of the system that the network is up - while the network is actually up but you have to wait till the previous process gets over)

I was really hoping for WoA to be a less convoluted experience that gets back to the basics and gets them right.
huh, you faced this in win10/11? didnt know it can get stuck like this. but yeah, windows is a bigger POS on Arm now.

huh, you faced this in win10/11? didnt know it can get stuck like this. but yeah, windows is a bigger POS on Arm now.
It does - There can be a lag of anywhere between 1-10 seconds between actual PHY layer connection (i.e device getting DHCP address) and actual resumption of network connectivity for the whole stack ( that shows in the system tray as a connected icon vs disconnected globe)

Could actually have been a genuinely useful health check if it did NOT sit on the critical path.
This is just an instance though - lot of similar examples abound

It does - There can be a lag of anywhere between 1-10 seconds between actual PHY layer connection (i.e device getting DHCP address) and actual resumption of network connectivity for the whole stack ( that shows in the system tray as a connected icon vs disconnected globe)

Could actually have been a genuinely useful health check if it did NOT sit on the critical path.
This is just an instance though - lot of similar examples abound
I think this has to do with laptops or Intel wireless modem or it could be due to a firewall? I have a desktop with ASUS BT+Wireless card (PCIe x1) where I run Windows 11. My work laptop is Intel shitbox (12th gen Latitude) with Windows 10. On my desktop, the moment I see lock screen, I see that Wi-Fi connection is enabled. On my laptop though, the globe remains in place even after I login. The Wi-Fi connected icon comes up good half a minute later. Being work laptop, there are some overdone security bloatware that runs on that laptop and I feel that those are adding to the delay to enable network connectivity.

Probably this ^^ because honestly I have never noticed this personally, in fact I always get spammed by update windows for different applications as soon as I log in (and yes these are fresh updates because most of them I do keep updated)

Last edited:
I think this has to do with laptops or Intel wireless modem or it could be due to a firewall? I have a desktop with ASUS BT+Wireless card (PCIe x1) where I run Windows 11. My work laptop is Intel shitbox (12th gen Latitude) with Windows 10. On my desktop, the moment I see lock screen, I see that Wi-Fi connection is enabled. On my laptop though, the globe remains in place even after I login. The Wi-Fi connected icon comes up good half a minute later. Being work laptop, there are some overdone security bloatware that runs on that laptop and I feel that those are adding to the delay to enable network connectivity.
Observed on multiple laptops and desktops - with both wired/wireless and work/personal systems
You wont notice this after a restart - but after standby resume (and there is really no reason to be shutting down a machine in this era unless leaving it for weeks).

Anyway, this was just an example - there are several other completely linear flows on windows with unrequired dependency checks sitting on the main execution path
Something you will almost never notice on linux/ mac systems

Asus Vivobook S15 X Elite is up for pre-order on FK and Asus site. 1.24L, so essentially 1 USD = 100 INR conversion (better than HP who have ridiculously overpriced their SD laptops). I feel it's still priced out of the market when Air runs for sub 1L.
Also the launch model is 16GB ram vs 32gb, which is the common one in US.

Back