Qualcomm wants to buy Intel

nullpc

Disciple

On Friday afternoon, The Wall Street Journal reported Intel had been approached by fellow chip giant Qualcomm about a possible takeover. While any deal is described as “far from certain,” according to the paper’s unnamed sources, it would represent a tremendous fall for a company that had been the most valuable chip company in the world, based largely on its x86 processor technology that for years had triumphed over Qualcomm’s Arm chips outside of the phone space.

All Sci-Fie movies coming true
Space travel - Stuck in space
Autonomous cars , drones and IOT - Remote Control
AI in all spheres of life - subsequent takeover
Exoskeletons for military and space mining
Digital Tracking , snooping , malware & ransomware on every sphere of life including infra
Digital Currency
Monopolization of every service/commodity and slaving you to it
Cabal which is minting money by increasing conflict in every region to make money on weapons
No limit/restriction to print money thus devaluing everything and making digital currency more attractive

Anything left ?

Another Nokia? once a giant in mobile market but eventually got sold, is it the fate of Intel as well. Lets not go further and think how Nokia was handled after it was sold.

Another Nokia? once a giant in mobile market but eventually got sold, is it the fate of Intel as well. Lets not go further and think how Nokia was handled after it was sold.
Nokia refused to change with time. Intel just has 2 generations of chips that crashed.
They are here to stay, they still have long standing contracts with manufacturers of laptops and pre built pcs and mind share in people(which arguably nokia did too but by that time samsung was already competing with them).

Intel died with 10th gen, the first/last time they managed to create a Consumer CPU with more than 10 cores. Even after going mobile arch,Regular + Inferior core @ 250W Turbo TDP, they failed to make it work. Qualcomm buying Intel wont make any difference, AMD will continue to innovate and offer Zen 5% .6%. 7% and so on at snail's pace.

To be frank, I've been using Ryzen since the first gen i.e. R5 1600, then switched to 3600 and kept upgrading from there. My laptop is also All AMD (Both CPU and GPU) laptop. The only place where I still use Intel is on my server-pc, that too just to make use of the Quicksync using iGPU. I will move away from that the moment AMD's CPU becomes as capable as an Intel's iGPU.
To me, Intel is dead a long time ago.

This "The New York Times corroborated the report on Friday evening, adding that “Qualcomm has not yet made an official offer for Intel.”

What is the point of writing speculative articles? Here Qualcomm has also not made an offer. This article is click bait.
It is a news article reporting news. It is not click bait because Qualcomm has approached Intel to discuss but making an offer requires lot more regulatory and legal work.

What I will give you is that the Verge headlines are always click-bait and they do anything to get you to click with the content usually not being incisive.

Even Intel didn't change - 6th gen released with 14nm and so did 11th gen - isn't it called refused to change with time?

For 12th gen they were forced to do so due to market dynamics.
There is a difference in the way nokia dropped the ball and the way intel just withheld chips from the market while they dominated.
Nokia didnt have android phones developing in the backrooms while they pushed for symbian phones.
Intel has been competitive since 9th gen till 12th gen.
I will have to do research in 13th and 14th gen failures. Whether it was foundry issue(which would outside intel's design department control) or it was intel design department playing it too loose with power limits to beat amd.

Anyways 2 generations isnt enough to make a statement about what is going to happen to intel. I hope nothing too bad. Or we will just have a red intel left in the market.

All Sci-Fie movies coming true
Space travel - Stuck in space
Autonomous cars , drones and IOT - Remote Control
AI in all spheres of life - subsequent takeover
Exoskeletons for military and space mining
Digital Tracking , snooping , malware & ransomware on every sphere of life including infra
Digital Currency
Monopolization of every service/commodity and slaving you to it
Cabal which is minting money by increasing conflict in every region to make money on weapons
No limit/restriction to print money thus devaluing everything and making digital currency more attractive

Anything left ?

neuralink

This "The New York Times corroborated the report on Friday evening, adding that “Qualcomm has not yet made an official offer for Intel.”

What is the point of writing speculative articles? Here Qualcomm has also not made an offer. This article is click bait.

I'll refer to what @t3chg33k said. The quoted text clearly states it's far from being official.

What I will give you is that the Verge headlines are always click-bait and they do anything to get you to click with the content usually not being incisive.

Yeah, I agree. I should've prolly linked to a non-paywalled link to WSJ but I was lazy.
Nokia refused to change with time. Intel just has 2 generations of chips that crashed.
They are here to stay, they still have long standing contracts with manufacturers of laptops and pre built pcs and mind share in people(which arguably nokia did too but by that time samsung was already competing with them).

This is wishful thinking. Titans have fallen faster before. AMD is catching up plus a lot of companies are looking to enter since the AI boom. The hard part is compatibility with existing applications and use cases which is not as big of a problem in consumer segments. I think the harder part is to sway enterprise customers away from Intel.

I'll refer to Apple's transition, which everyone including me thought would be a slow and painful one. Yes, they have a lot of control to have pulled off such an impressive feat but it's certainly far from impossible to repeat that if done right.

Last edited:
This is wishful thinking. Titans have fallen faster before.
AMD is catching up plus a lot of companies are looking to enter since the AI boom. The hard part is compatibility with existing applications and use cases which is not as big of a problem in consumer segments. I think the harder part is to sway enterprise customers away from Intel.

I'll refer to Apple's transition, which everyone including me thought would be a slow and painful transition. Yes, they have a lot of control to have pulled off such an impressive feat but it's certainly far from impossible to repeat that if done right.
I guess you are right. Titans can fall very fast. Can you provide promising new players in cpu chip design for x86 architecture.

Can you provide promising new players in cpu chip design for x86 architecture.
Oh I have absolutely no idea if a serious third player exists right now in x86 space. My understanding is that it's a duopoly. AMD is the sole competitor and I reckon that's the same in server space. Given the large interest in ARM chips (and fair bit of RISC-V), I doubt any new player would seek to start at x86, ignoring licensing concerns if any. My thought is more on the lines of emulation and translation catching up to make compatibility problems a non-issue.

Oh I have absolutely no idea if a serious third player exists right now in x86 space. My understanding is that it's a duopoly. AMD is the sole competitor and I reckon that's the same in server space. Given the large interest in ARM chips (and fair bit of RISC-V), I doubt any new player would seek to start at x86, ignoring licensing concerns if any. My thought is more on the lines of emulation and translation catching up to make compatibility problems a non-issue.
I see. So the next big player would be qualcomm if emulation and translation cost and time get minimized.
Not including apple as I doubt they with sell their chips to anyone (maybe same for qualcomm).

Ryzen has already given a great competition to intel, even surpassing them in many things. Qualcomm could also do something to give a tough fight to intel.
If this continues and intel won't wake up, it could go from "intel inside" to "intel, trying to stay inside".

Back