Audio [Queries] Media Players ( WD player Live ! , Asus O! play etc.)

Hey guys , just a few queries here :

1) What all options are there if i'm looking for a media player like the ones mentioned in the topic which play MKV @ 1080p as well as support DTS 5.1 ?

2) what are the cheapest options out of the media players which fall into the 1st Ques parameters ?

3) And what file systems do the recommended players support ( FAT NTFS or HFS) ?

Almost all good media players or network media tanks (NMT) will play mkv at 1080p. Not sure about prices. Also they all support FAT and NTFS so dont worry on that front. I guess you can also try the Xtreamer. There is already a long thread on media players. I suggest you check that out.

So , i looked all through the forum and still face a lack of info regarding my concern

Will the Xtreamer be able to play dts 5.1 audio embed movies in full glory when i hook them up with my Logitech Z5500 via optical ???

kunallkw said:
So , i looked all through the forum and still face a lack of info regarding my concern

Will the Xtreamer be able to play dts 5.1 audio embed movies in full glory when i hook them up with my Logitech Z5500 via optical ???
Yes it will but no Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master. Normal DD and DTS work just fine.

^^ So is it Xtreamer you are finally opting for ? Other option for you may be the Play On HD (POHD) Mini. For xtreamer you can buy from own very own inhouse xtreamer dealer.

Raks dude , i'm still looking for options , dilemma is i already have an Xbox 360 and will eventually get a PS3 when KZ3 and other good MP games release. so the media player would prove redundant .

and no other cheaper players seem to support DTS 5.1 , which makes me sad. another option i'd be working on soon is muxing videos from their MKV containers to HD-WMV so they play on the xbox 360 challenge is i want it to retain the 5.1 encoding which can be bit of a hassle and ruin the performance.

but if i get a cheaper player that atleast supports dts 5.1 i'll totally buy it.

kunallkw said:
Raks dude , i'm still looking for options , dilemma is i already have an Xbox 360 and will eventually get a PS3 when KZ3 and other good MP games release. so the media player would prove redundant .

and no other cheaper players seem to support DTS 5.1 , which makes me sad. another option i'd be working on soon is muxing videos from their MKV containers to HD-WMV so they play on the xbox 360 challenge is i want it to retain the 5.1 encoding which can be bit of a hassle and ruin the performance.

but if i get a cheaper player that atleast supports dts 5.1 i'll totally buy it.

doesnt the play on hd mini support dts 5.1?

@ stormblast , no clue. thing with most the media players out is they just put the dts logo under specifications and don't really specify if they are going to downmix the audio channel into a 2.1 .

so i really wanted to make sure before i narrow down to one player out of the plethora of options floating in the market.

from what i have read most of the players usually downmix when the connection is not via optical input. i could be wrong though.

it should work on z5500 via optiocal imo. why dont u ask in their forums.

i'll be connecting via optical only :D

and yes i can obv inquire on the official forums but then it's better to have the in house TE'ians to take advice from since they know the Indian conditions and the mentality of the people , they can associate and do better brain storming :p

dude which player did you buy ? i saw you in some older threads inquiring about one .

i picked up the ac ryan play on hd mini. its in the other room connected to the tv audio atm.

am using the z5500 on the ps3 with optical to stream in my room.

tv audio :O ... but why ? why don't you hook both, the ac ryan and the ps3 to the same display with Z-5500 , only problem being you'll have to switch the optical cable each time you change your source . but otherwise i think it's a major comprise from your end to be having a Z-5500 and still not using it for movies :p

i wonder if we had something to increase the number of optical inputs on the Z-5500 as switching the cable frequently can result in damaging it , since it's got plastic covering at the ends .

well the reason i am not using it on the speakers is because the ac ryan is in a diff room on a diff tv. hehe.

u get a optical switcher in which u can connect 2-4 optical inputs which then connects to the input on the z5500 so this way u dont have to keep changing wires.

Back