Queries on HongKong travel...

YoGi-Sama

Skilled
Well... it's that time of the year again and I am planning to spend my vacation this year in Hong Kong for a week. Although it's a vacation, due to the nature of my job I'm needed to be online in case anything urgent turns up. Since this is my first time in Hong Kong and nobody I know in close circle have been in or known HK well, I've few queries for TE members who have been to HK.

In both places, my hotel does provide WiFi internet but it is ridiculously expensive for everyday use.

1. What are the best options for cheap/decently priced Internet Connection prepaid or pay-per-use. Preferably WiFi based as I would prefer not buying 3G modem.
  2. If not WiFi or if there are cheaper 3G SIM options, are there any good deals on unlocked 3G modems similar Photon modem which I can use there by buying prepaid 3G SIM?
  3. I'll be HK for 5 nights and Macau for 2 nights, so I would like to know options for both the places if possible.

I've already inquired with Matrix connection guys... but I don't like their prices neither I have a very good experience with their service reps (I've already been confused by 3 of them in process of trying to cut each other off to claim the freakin' commission on grabbing an account). To be honest, I'm kinda pissed at this utter unprofessional behavior and for some reason I don't feel justified to pay the kind of money their service is demanding.

So please guys, those who have slightest idea regarding my queries or even if can point me in right direction where I can get answers on the same, it will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

Get a pre-paid sim card while over there and get internet activated on it. Tether your phone to your lappie and use it as a modem to connect to the internet. Its good enough to check email and chat and other basic stuff. You can use the same card to keep in touch with people in India and use it as a local number. No need to pay RIDICULOUSLY high roaming charges or get a Matrix. Its not as good a value as you might think.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Oh....and do let me know about your experiences and any tips & tricks you learn while over there. Planning a trip in January myself ;).

@agupta02: Thanks.... that seems to the general consensus I gathered from little research on the net. Will let you know my experience on HK once I'm back. :)

@Gannu: Leaving on 3rd... just coming Wednesday. :)

Back