Queries related to passport

Police verification for my wife's passport application was over today, two weeks after the submission of application at the PSK, without any issues. I hope the passport will reach me by the end of this month. :)

Can anyone share their experiences in the process for renewal of parents passports? Both my parents are eligible for senior citizens category.. but as i went through the site, I'm a bit unsure of how to go about the process, as both their passports have expired quite a few years back.. and now with the online application process I'm not sure if the registration for both has to be done separately online/etc.

Who can suggest the best way to go about it? Is online ok or is there any other way to have it done?

@mach9

Since you tell that your parents' passports expired few years back, i am assuming it is more than 3 years back that they expired. In that case they are treated as brand new application and they will have to do a normal application. You probably do not have renewal option.
From what i read somewhere, a renewal is considered when you renew 1 year before expiry of passport or within 3 years of expiry.

@mach9

Since you tell that your parents' passports expired few years back, i am assuming it is more than 3 years back that they expired. In that case they are treated as brand new application and they will have to do a normal application. You probably do not have renewal option.
From what i read somewhere, a renewal is considered when you renew 1 year before expiry of passport or within 3 years of expiry.

Thanks, just checked.. actually.. slight correction Dad's has expired in Jan 2009 & Mom's apparently will expire in Aug 2014... so it seem's only dad's passport application is more complicated?

When you say normal application.. what do you mean? What I wanted to know is does everyone have to go via the register online option? Or is it some other process where you can fill a form, make the payment over a counter and get a date? Don't quite remember the procedure.

Another annoyance is that the pdf which you download as the e-form to generate a validation file... doesn't allow more than 1 line for the residential address.. I can't manage to enter my proper address at all on the frigin form! How the hell do i submit the proper address then? Secondly they want us to fill the police station detail... how the f*ck am I supposed to know which police station my residence comes under considering our lovely govt. offices each have a different understanding of "jurisdiction"..?

@mach9 AFAIK, you will have to register online and get an appointment. There is no offline way to do so. You do have the option to fill the e-form rather than download the pdf. Shorten the address using some abbreviations. You can always alter it in Counter A in the PSK. For the police station of your area, use this link below. The list is not comprehensive, so if your pin code is not in the list, just give the details of your nearest police station. The PSK will send it to the correct police station anyway.. One other option is to go visit your near police station and find from them.
http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/online/LocatePoliceStation

@mach9 AFAIK, you will have to register online and get an appointment. There is no offline way to do so. You do have the option to fill the e-form rather than download the pdf. Shorten the address using some abbreviations. You can always alter it in Counter A in the PSK. For the police station of your area, use this link below. The list is not comprehensive, so if your pin code is not in the list, just give the details of your nearest police station. The PSK will send it to the correct police station anyway.. One other option is to go visit your near police station and find from them.
http://www.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/online/LocatePoliceStation

Thanks.

I had tried that link... apparently in the drop down after selecting Maharashtra state... only Pune City shows up! WTF?

Thanks regarding the address.. will have to figure out a way i guess.

1 last query.. neither of my parent's can be arsed about getting an email address registered etc as required by the online process.. can I use my own email address for both registrations? or would that cause a problem with dupes/authentications!

Why can't our lovely technology savvy govt department's ever get their online crap in place and roll out after thorough testing?? Makes the entire online experience so frigin frustrating with these minor annoyances

@mach9

Specify here what area you live in and probably someone can help. Also while filling the form, just select the police station which you feel is the closest match for your area.

Thanks.

1 last query.. neither of my parent's can be arsed about getting an email address registered etc as required by the online process.. can I use my own email address for both registrations? or would that cause a problem with dupes/authentications!

Why can't our lovely technology savvy govt department's ever get their online crap in place and roll out after thorough testing?? Makes the entire online experience so frigin frustrating with these minor annoyances

Yes.. You can use your email id and register, and each account can submit up to 3 applications. There is absolutely no connection between the applications and email id. No worries there.. And, in my experience, the online process has made things countless times easy.

Thanks a ton for the reassurances @logistopath and @raksrules . Appreciate it. THIS IS WHY I love TE :D

So, I went ahead and completed the form and details via the online form option for mom. Now the next step is payment and schedule appointment, which says that the appointment will be done automatically without an option to select a date or time. Since she isn't in town till 3rd of November (and accounting for the Diwali rush/holidays) I was thinking of doing this step sometime on the 26th of this Month.. which I anticipate will give a date sometime after 3rd Nov. Just hoping there's no time limit to doing this after submission of application which I completed.

I was also looking to see if they allow a companion to accompany senior citizens at the service center.. but didn't see anything like that. There's also some confusion on whether senior citizens are accomodated directly at a dedicated counter or if they have no such provisions.

@mach9

I strongly suggest you just now go till the step wherein it mentions which date you WILL BE GIVEN in case you decide to go ahead and book the appointment and pay money.
This is one step before you actually hit the Book Appointment (or whatever it).
Even if by mistake you hit that, just close the window so the transaction will fail.
You cannot get to know what date you will get without doing this trial and error. You have to do this everyday until you see the date what you want and then at that time book the appointment and pay money.

True. Like @raksrules suggested, go ahead, and click on schedule an appointment. After the captcha, it will give you the date when the earliest slot is available. See the date, and if is convenient for you, do the booking, else return back to the homepage. Nothing to worry again. I believe you are from Mumbai. I think even now, you will be getting an appointment only after Diwali. :p
BTW, @mach9 just check the advisory given in the website. I believe senior citizens fall under the category where prior appointment is not necessary to visit the PSK. They can walk in on any day at any time according to their convenience, and also according to the rules of the respective PSKs. Just call your PSK and confirm. Even in that case, you will need to fill the online application and make online payment, and generate an ARN.[DOUBLEPOST=1382284329][/DOUBLEPOST]Yup.. Walk in is applicable for senior citizens..
http://passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/pdf/Advisory.pdf

@logistopath Thanks again bro.

I checked.. n shocked to see it was available on the 21st of this month itself (which is tmrw) for the lower parel PSK! LMFAO! So I guess I'll have to wait :p

I usually have nothing good to say about government procedures but this passport thing has got super streamlined and I am more glad because those stupid agents are out of the scene.

^^ True.. If only the police verification part is similarly streamlined and transparent, that would be the best thing ever.

did you'll get the passport by tatkal? or was it normal application?

For tatkaal they've got some list of documents and some stupid Annexure F/I which needs to be given! weird.. cos I don't recall these annexure's too clearly when I got my own passport renewed (against my old passport which got water damaged) in 2011 under the Tatkaal application since I had to fly to Singapore for the Singapore Airshow .. but ended up missing it since the passport arrived a day later than ideal :(

Why do you need Tatkal ? Expecting travel soon ? If not then just do the normal application, still you will get the passport soon enough.

Why do you need Tatkal ? Expecting travel soon ? If not then just do the normal application, still you will get the passport soon enough.

There is a wedding in the family that she might go for.. so thought I'd just get it on Tatkaal to be on the safer side.. don't know what it is now.. but back then the passport would take quite a while to get .. upside of 30-45 days under normal.

Back