Query about student discounts on Apple & Samsung products & reqd. email IDs

nemo_online

Disciple
So, I have been wondering about this for a while now - The two above mentioned companies give student discounts which all well and good but what I don't understand is that when they ask for an email ID from the institution that you're studying in, what email ID are we supposed to give?
The last time I checked most public Indian universities had not started giving out individual email ids. For example if I am a student of Delhi University and study in St. Stephens college, I won't get an email id on my name.
So which email id does one share for getting discounts on Apple or Samsung products?

Regards

Apple uses unidays verification to apply education discounts.

Unidays faq says you can verify using college/university email or using ID card.

Maybe edu or org email is not necessary, sign up using regular email and verify using ID card. Other member can chime in.

Contact apple/unidays to confirm for sure.

Forgot to mention that I had tried signing up using a Gmail ID with the same thought of using the University ID card as proof later but Apple doesn't accept Gmail IDs or Microsoft IDs for that matter. Anyway, will need to contact unidays I guess.

Update on this thread: I found the answer to the question I posted above. In case you don't have a institutional student email id you can scan your ID card and send it to Apple & Samsung. My ID got approved for Samsung and I became eligible for their student discounts.
However, I still can't get any discount on Apple because they need your ID to mention the validity of your ID ( example- valid from 4-07-21 to 5-6-23). The new IGNOU I-card surprisingly doesn't mention these dates so next step is to get a written official letter from the institute saying that I am a student from X yr to Z yr. Too much of a hassle since its IGNOU and nothing happens online. So for people who want a student discount on your Samsung or Apple products this is the route to take.

You can also walk into an Apple premium reseller store with your id card and get the discount offline.

If you can’t use yours, there are still a lot of people who can help you out. You still buy from your own account only.
I posted a request in a Indian gaming discord server about a friend wanting a verified Unidays to purchase something. People (most of them are engineering students) were happy to help for free or for some small compensation.

If you can’t use yours, there are still a lot of people who can help you out. You still buy from your own account only.
I posted a request in a Indian gaming discord server about a friend wanting a verified Unidays to purchase something. People (most of them are engineering students) were happy to help for free or for some small compensation.
Haven't thought that far but thanks for the idea anyway. :)

How much is the student discount generally? Also is it applicable for 12th cbse students?
On Ipads it is around 10% and the same goes for MacBooks. During Diwali, there was an offer where you got free AirPods on purchase of Ipads..

One thing that I noticed is that the discount that retailers normally give as card discounts is the one that is being compensated here as student discount. So I would suggest buying from a retailer only.

+1 on what Kafkaesque said. Unfortunately, last I checked its only applicable to college students. Similar to Spotify student discount–you either need a college ID or a college email to sign up.

Update on this thread: I found the answer to the question I posted above. In case you don't have a institutional student email id you can scan your ID card and send it to Apple & Samsung. My ID got approved for Samsung and I became eligible for their student discounts.
However, I still can't get any discount on Apple because they need your ID to mention the validity of your ID ( example- valid from 4-07-21 to 5-6-23). The new IGNOU I-card surprisingly doesn't mention these dates so next step is to get a written official letter from the institute saying that I am a student from X yr to Z yr. Too much of a hassle since its IGNOU and nothing happens online. So for people who want a student discount on your Samsung or Apple products this is the route to take.
if u are from. ignou, what else did u submit with id card

Back