Monitors (Query) Monitor Protection against Static voltage and Fluctuation

aKp1

Disciple
Hi guys!
I recently lost my LG 24MP88 24" IPS Monitor!
The monitor was 5 years old but was in a top condition. However suddenly there was some issue in the monitor which I cannot describe, so screenshot attached below.
Kudos to LG for superfast service though, I raised a service request ticket on Friday evening at around 7 and LG engineers came to my home next day before 12.
They tore-down the monitor and came to the conclusion that the display is done with and that it is possible that it is due to voltage fluctuation and it can also be due to static and neutral electric port.
I have thereby gotten a LG Ultragear 24GN650.
My query is what should I do to safeguard my monitor and my PC?
I already use a surge protector.
However do you guys recommend that I should go for a UPS or something?
If yes please do recommend what UPS I should go with.

My rig is
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450M Bazooka
Vengeance 16G DDR4
Asus Strix GTX 960
Samsung M.2 240G
CoolerMaster HyperEvo 212

Attachments

• IMG_20220701_205734.jpg
    IMG_20220701_205734.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 47
I face a similar issue with an LCD TV a couple months back. Similar sort of banding was seen on the screen and it was fixable since the issue was on the PCB of the LCD panel and not the panel itself.
Try showing it to some TV repair shop perhaps?

As for safeguarding against Voltage fluctuation a UPS may or may not do that always. Depends on model I think, you need to do some research on what model you're gonna buy but I don't think this is caused by that as these work on DC and very low voltage, it can be due to just age and dust perhaps as was the case with my LCD TV which completed 12 years.

Hi guys!
I recently lost my LG 24MP88 24" IPS Monitor!
The monitor was 5 years old but was in a top condition. However suddenly there was some issue in the monitor which I cannot describe, so screenshot attached below.
Kudos to LG for superfast service though, I raised a service request ticket on Friday evening at around 7 and LG engineers came to my home next day before 12.
They tore-down the monitor and came to the conclusion that the display is done with and that it is possible that it is due to voltage fluctuation and it can also be due to static and neutral electric port.
I have thereby gotten a LG Ultragear 24GN650.
My query is what should I do to safeguard my monitor and my PC?
I already use a surge protector.
However do you guys recommend that I should go for a UPS or something?
If yes please do recommend what UPS I should go with.

My rig is
Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450M Bazooka
Vengeance 16G DDR4
Asus Strix GTX 960
Samsung M.2 240G
CoolerMaster HyperEvo 212
Use an APC 1100VA UPS.
This above UPS will have surge protection ports also at the backside. Okay.

Good to hear that you got a 24inch Ultra Gear monitor. I myself got a 32incher 32GK650F for 20k via OLX locally.

Great monitor but it isn't working fully with its 144Hz and the backside audio ports isn't working when I connected my Soundbar to it.

Should I follow any specific procedure for them to work?

I myself got a 32incher 32GK650F for 20k via OLX locally.
OT: when did you get it? If recently then don't you think it's a little high price since this monitor was being sold for 23-25K when it was available on amazon. Also the successor 32GN650 is 25K now and 23K on deals excluding bank offers.

Great monitor but it isn't working fully with its 144Hz and the backside audio ports isn't working when I connected my Soundbar to it.
Hey @bssunilreddy, thanx for the recommendation!
What port are you using to connect your monitor with your GPU?
It has to be Display Port to get the high refresh rate!
Also you can check in the LG Monitor settings by clicking the "nipple button". There you can go in the game mode and choose 144Hz
In windows
Its under Display settings - Advanced display settings - Monitor -Display Adapter Properties -Monitor -> 144hz and click apply.
I face a similar issue with an LCD TV a couple months back. Similar sort of banding was seen on the screen and it was fixable since the issue was on the PCB of the LCD panel and not the panel itself.
Try showing it to some TV repair shop perhaps?

As for safeguarding against Voltage fluctuation a UPS may or may not do that always. Depends on model I think, you need to do some research on what model you're gonna buy but I don't think this is caused by that as these work on DC and very low voltage, it can be due to just age and dust perhaps as was the case with my LCD TV which completed 12 years.
I'll get the older one checked anyway! You don't think that LG engineers diagnosed it correctly?

I'll get the older one checked anyway! You don't think that LG engineers diagnosed it correctly?
TBH I just think they did their job as fast as they could to close the ticket. They earn money per closed ticket even if no repair work was done. They could be genuine too though.
Local repair shops will try to do a thorough job and may possibly tell you even before opening if it's repairable or not and the charges you can expect if it is. Take it to a shop only if you're interested in getting it fixed else be happy with your new purchase.

Hey @bssunilreddy, thanx for the recommendation!
What port are you using to connect your monitor with your GPU?
It has to be Display Port to get the high refresh rate!
Also you can check in the LG Monitor settings by clicking the "nipple button". There you can go in the game mode and choose 144Hz
In windows
Its under Display settings - Advanced display settings - Monitor -Display Adapter Properties -Monitor -> 144hz and click apply.

It does not have any nipple button but it has a button underneath the display centered.
For Gaming purpose I am using HDMI cable.
Will display port provide more clarity than HDMI port? That too for gaming?

Sometimes it displays its correct refresh rate of 144hz but sometimes it doesn't.

I am not using the rear side port of the monitor but the green port of my mobo which is displayed in my signature since its not working.

Will display port provide more clarity than HDMI port? That too for gaming?
Yes, bro! Display port would be much better for gaming! Its because you are using the HDMI port, it is not showing the 144Hz! From the button underneath, you will have to select HDMI compatibility mode which will also enable the 144Hz but the display port is the best for High refresh rate. It will also enable G-sync or Free-Sync features as well!
TBH I just think they did their job as fast as they could to close the ticket. They earn money per closed ticket even if no repair work was done. They could be genuine too though.
Local repair shops will try to do a thorough job and may possibly tell you even before opening if it's repairable or not and the charges you can expect if it is. Take it to a shop only if you're interested in getting it fixed else be happy with your new purchase.
I'll take it to a local shop, maybe if it gets repaired, I'll have a dual borderless 1080p monitor setup :D :grin:

Last edited:
Back