Query on AMD Athlon 64 X2 replacement/upgrade

sasa110

Disciple
Hi,

One of my desktops has the following CPU and motherboard:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Socket AM2 (940)

MSI MSI K9AGM2-FIH (MS-7327) motherboard

both were purchased just over 3 years ago for 4.5k. hence no warranty left.

Now, I am getting a feeling that the computer might not last very long, and especially the cpu and motherboard 'might' get damaged (they've been overused etc.). :S

While my fears may largely be irrational , I still want to prepare for the above eventuality. And I specifically request information from learned members here on replacements for the above cpu and motherboard.

If the motherboard gets damaged, what current motherboard available in the market can i replace it with (edit:w/o replacing the cpu), and at what price?

likewise, if the CPU gets damaged, what current CPU available in the market can i replace it with (w/o replacing the mobo), and at what price?

thanks in advance!

Man I doubt you will have any upgrade options right now as the old AM2 socket is EoL a long time back and most components you get will be extremely old/crippled old inventory at computer stores, and online you will get only second hand stuff at almost throwaway prices ~ anyways wait for others to post their views

As ALPHA17 has rightly said, the AM2 socket is not really mint fresh now. Yes you can find a new AM2 CPU or a AM2 mobo too, but that'll probably be pretty old stock and in the current scenario not worth the money you pay for it.

If you are comfortable with used stuff, you can surely get those components in our TE market.

But it would be worthwhile, if you upgrade your CPU and Motherboard altogether instead of waiting for one of them (or both) to die and then search for equivalent replacements. If your usage is of normal nature (work+movies+multimedia) then you can go for the Athlon X2 240 + ASUS M2N68/Biostar 780L. The CPU is both DDR2 and DDR3 compatible, so your choice of motherboard can change with that. This is just a reference, for more details check out the November PC Buying Guide by DarkAngel.

If the motherboard gets damaged, what current motherboard available in the market can i replace it with (edit:w/o replacing the cpu), and at what price?

Any AM2+ mobo will do, ASUS M2N68 AM for eg, retails for around 2.2K

likewise, if the CPU gets damaged, what current CPU available in the market can i replace it with (w/o replacing the mobo), and at what price?

You can get a used AM2/AM2+ CPU from the market section, i bought a 4400+ from a member here for 1250 bucks with shipping.

Usually you'll get some warnings before your motherboard dies. USB ports will stop working, your pc may take long to boot, you'll get some bios errors, some components won't be recognised some times. So don't worry too much about your components dying.
Take regular back-ups of your data, and buy a new system when the need arises.

Buying a new motherboard that uses DDR2 RAM doesn't make sense, unless you've got lots of RAM lying around, with ample warranty remaining.

thanks for the replies, guys! (on the thread, and on pm)

aargh, so the stuff is quite obsolete. i did intend to ask in the o.p. what fresh 'upgrade' options i had for entirely upgrading both the cpu-mobo, and even mentioned it in the topic subject line, but forgot to put the actual question up.:mad:

anyway, i did take the pc to a doctor, and the doctor tells me that my diagnosis was quite out of mark :ashamed:. apparently the cpu and mobo are doing fine, and its the ram which is misbehaving (i missed the tell-tale sign - its showing 800 mb when its supposed to be 2 gb) and also suggested a change of the cabinet.

now i dont think it would be wise to stick to this old config and get a new ram today, and a new this or that tomorrow...basically that would be getting stuck in the business of buying old parts at a premium to keep an old machine running.

an upgrade makes more sense and i need recos on that front. i run windows xp and a very light ubuntu called crunchbang, so a cpu which is equivalent to the one i currently have will do

so, recommendations please for the following!

1) CPU
2) Motherboard
3) RAM
4) Cabinet

rest of the stuff i have. im looking for something low to mid-end and economical anyway so budget is not a constraint.

to repeat, the cpu and mobo need not be 5 core and what not..that would be an overkill for Windows XP. A simple decent cpu much like the one i got will do.

Sorry for not using the template, hope it was not a problem to read through!

thanks again!

yes it helped, thanks! Perfectly answers my queries. Thats a very helpful guide/starting pt. for noobs (or lets say, someone out of touch ;) ) like me.
oops arj, had missed your first mention of the link.

Back