Camera Query regarding B&H photovideo and customs for Camera gears

sabby : Do not get expensive items through USPS, its handled by Indiapost once in India and they may even charge duty at 40% for high value items whatever the item may be.

Just use PPOBox if you want trouble free customs clearance based on the actual declared value.

sabby : Do not get expensive items through USPS, its handled by Indiapost once in India and they may even charge duty at 40% for high value items whatever the item may be.

Just use PPOBox if you want trouble free customs clearance based on the actual declared value.

I'm not gonna import the camera, I was answering smoky's question. Thanks for the info though. I'll wait till march to see if Sony India release otherwise I'll probably get it from amazon.de while I'll be in EU :)

Well sony have finally updated their website. nex5R for 40k and nex 6 for 50k They are yet to update the lens lineup.
NEX Camera (E-mount) : Interchangeable Lens Camera : Sony India

WOW ! That's really awesome price considering they are giving the 16-50 PZ as kit lens :) Need to call the Sony centres regarding availability.

Edit: Called their alpha flagship stores. The BTM one do not have any idea. The koramangla one said they'll let me know after inquiring with SONY.

EDIT 2: They called me back and told me that since it is released very recently, they'll get it in stock in 1st or 2nd week of march. They'll let me know as as soon they get stock. :)

WOW ! That's really awesome price considering they are giving the 16-50 PZ as kit lens :) Need to call the Sony centres regarding availability.

Edit: Called their alpha flagship stores. The BTM one do not have any idea. The koramangla one said they'll let me know after inquiring with SONY.

EDIT 2: They called me back and told me that since it is released very recently, they'll get it in stock in 1st or 2nd week of march. They'll let me know as as soon they get stock. :)

Nex 5R and nex 6 are available on ebay india with 2 yr and 3 yr warranty. i think it was mentioned in the other thread by adder.

Am waiting for sony to launch the 35mm e mount lens and hopefully the HVL-F20S flash unit as well. BTW, sabby have u used a nex before ?? If not what dslr are u using now ?? i ask because nex controls can take some gettin used to.

Nex 5R and nex 6 are available on ebay india with 2 yr and 3 yr warranty. i think it was mentioned in the other thread by adder.

Am waiting for sony to launch the 35mm e mount lens and hopefully the HVL-F20S flash unit as well. BTW, sabby have u used a nex before ?? If not what dslr are u using now ?? i ask because nex controls can take some gettin used to.

No, I haven't used any NEX system yet. Obviously it won't have the same grip/handling and control dials/switches of a good DSLR. But compared to a typical 550D or D3200, you won't miss much other than the Optical VF and the AEL button. From what I've read in the user reviews, the NEX menu certainly has a learning curve but being tech enthusiasts, we shouldn't have any problem with that. The main disadvantage to a typical DSLR is relative slow autofocus while shooting fast/sports scene. Even that can be achieved with the EA2 adaptor for A mount glasses. Anyway, I photograph mostly landscapes so fast auto-focusing capability is not of utmost importance to me.

Btw, the SEL35f18 OSS would be very costly if its released here. Consider getting the Sigma 30mm, should be cheap even if you have to pay import duty.

Guys just a heads up - I called the koramangla Sony alpha flagship store just now. They told me that they are gonna get the cameras tonight at about 7-7.30pm :) They'll also get the new E-mount lenses over the next 8-10 days :)

Hope they get the 50 mm 1.8 soon. I have been using a nex 5 for some time now and I also have a 30 mm sigma with it and am quite happy

Guys just a heads up - I called the koramangla Sony alpha flagship store just now. They told me that they are gonna get the cameras tonight at about 7-7.30pm :) They'll also get the new E-mount lenses over the next 8-10 days :)

So did u get the camera sabby ?? also any idea what lenses they were referring to ???

- - - Updated - - -

Yup it's the emount. Got it off ebay from US. Cost me around 12k all inclusive.

How's that lens compared to the 18-55 mm kit lens @ 30 mm ?? I know it'sa very sharp lens but how's the lens character ?? microcontrast, bokeh , color rendering , etc,etc ??

So did u get the camera sabby ?? also any idea what lenses they were referring to ???

Not yet. I'll probably go there next week. I asked about the E-mount lenses those aren't available in India, like the SEL50f18, SEL35f18, Zeiss 24mm, SEL18-200, SEL20f28 etc.

FYI, I also sent a mail to the Sigma US about their lens lineup availability in India to which they replied with the Indian distributors details.

SHETALA AGENCIES Pvt. Ltd.
Mount View Apartments, No. 111,
Mount Road, Guindy,
Chennai-600 032, India.

Tel:91-44-42125148/58/68
Fax:91-44-22351485

I called them today and they said both the Sigma 30mm and 19mm are available but the price for those are 13k each. They also gave me their Bangalore store details and said they can send the lenses if I want by the weekend. What I have heard from the users and reviews, those lenses are worthy even at that price. But since I'll be in EU in a couple of weeks, I've decided to get them from there (about €210-250 total). For those who need the Bangalore number of the Sigma distributors : 080-41238528/29.

So what lenses are they planning to get in the next 8-10 days ??

I just asked them about the availability of the newer E-mount lenses that aren't yet available in India and they told me they are expecting new lenses in 8-10 days. They didn't specify which lenses.

I just asked them about the availability of the newer E-mount lenses that aren't yet available in India and they told me they are expecting new lenses in 8-10 days. They didn't specify which lenses.

ahh!! thx a lot

- - - Updated - - -

One final thing :-- do u shoot RAW?? Just asked because sony jpeg color rendering is not very well liked. what DSLR do u use now ?

One final thing :-- do u shoot RAW?? Just asked because sony jpeg color rendering is not very well liked. what DSLR do u use now ?

While I do agree there is a love-hate attitude towards Sony, I think their jpeg color rendering is pretty fine from what I've seen from the NEX images. Of course they aren't the best in the market, that title goes to the Fuji but they have many other quirks along with steep prices. If you don't like the sony jpeg colors, shoot raw - NEX's raw IQ is among the best in APS-C.

To answer your question, no, I do not own a DSLR, never did. I started my photography with my dad's rangefinder many years ago. But over the past few years I've been really busy and moving a lot so had to move away from serious photography. Got me a good P&S couple years back for travelling but the IQ and controls have been forcing me to look elsewhere. I don't want to chug along huge bodies/lenses neither I require fast auto-focusing. That is why I decided on NEX-5R over the DSLRs. I might pick up a D7100 down the line when I get time to resume my birding.

Okay, Finally got the 5R today :) This thing is way smaller than I expected. Will post a thread in the Show-off section soon.

Back