Audio Query regarding electronic drums(Alesis)

victor4comp

Disciple
hi...i didnt know where to post this but really need help...i ve been playing drums for the last 4 years..(well this is not the problem :bleh: )..we have a TAMA kit but we have issues while practicing..
1. space constraints
2. noise issues(i cant hear them and they cant hear themselves:eek:hyeah: )

now we have decided to go for Electronic Drums and the options were..
Roland, yamaha, and alesis..
roland was out due to the price constraints..and didnt like the yamaha..
now the choice was of alesis and are planning to buy Alesis USB pro without the sound module...and use toontrack (EZdrummer as a module)..guys

now the real issue here is ..i have read some reviews about the Alesis kit and found that the they have issues with the pads...(less responsive)..

so guys help needed in this ...any one owns this...

regards

what was wrong with the yams? from what little research i did earlier, alesis are a decent option if you have a tight budget. but since u didnt mention the yams being to expensive, i assume they are within yours. yam is known for some reliable electronic drums, not the best sounding (professionally speaking), but very good build quality.

The best way to use an acoustic drumset for practice is to stuff the head(s) and snares with pillows, and damp the cymbals (tightening them helps a lot).

We also asked the drummer to play with rubber sticks. Reduces the volume enough to sing along unamplified, and the drummer gets the workout he needs. Then again most drummers are deaf ;)

Pads won't work. You will have no feel, and the dynamic range is very limited. Plus the locations are not intuitive at all, you might as well use a programming system to keep time with your mates, and use solo time to build your chops.

We're considering one for the office though (got a little band going here, with a drummer, bassist, piano and one guitar - just need a vocalist and/or lead guitarist), and I'm leaning toward the Roland. We can't have an acoustic set in an office.

thanks Guys..

@ grease monk. yam is tad over budget...

@sangram...thanks for the innovative methods..i will definitely give it a shot..:) (we used to practice on different rooms :bleh: ) but apart from practice we needed E-Drums coz miking the set on stage is real pain for us... about the feel u r spot on as they dont have the feel or dynamics..but i guess my mates are so fed up with me that they are leaving no stone unturned to get me an E-Drum:( .

as i happen to be the person playing ,they asked me to do a R&D to check which one ..but E-Drums is THE thing they want to see me on.

i found alesis USB pro without the sound module for 33K..and since i already have EZdrummer sw...but during the final stages of purchase i found out from the dealer that the response of the pads are not that good...but i had my doubts coz the drums heads used in USB pro are real drum skins with sensors..so feel wont be a major problem in this one..but my major worry was about the dynamics ....?

thanks for ur time:)

Alesis USB PRo-the pads are bad..dont get it.go for DM5 instead which is more responsive

but lemme tell u TAMA kit >> Toontrack EZ or DFH or Addictive Drums
and i second the advice by sangram :)

u are a metal band,right?

sangram said:
The best way to use an acoustic drumset for practice is to stuff the head(s) and snares with pillows, and damp the cymbals (tightening them helps a lot).
Yup, that works very well - we'd also cover the kit with bed sheets when practicing late at night.

thanks all for ur response...:)

Alesis USB pro is not available in India...
so we are sticking to TAMA:eek:hyeah: ..

@nish_higher... we are not a metal band..

regards

Back