Query regarding placement with CMC Ltd., Mumbai

siril_k

Adept
Hi guys, a friend of mine studying in 8th sem of BE Electronics (Mumbai Univ) has got an offer from CMC Ltd for a Training-cum-Job programme in CMC (Subsidary of TCS), Mumbai, there is a training period of 3 months & then either placement assistance in major IT Cos & if not successful in placement with IT Cos, a 6 month probationary job with CMC itself @ Rs.7500 per month.

CMC will be giving Training Certification & work Experience cert, if performance during 6 months is satisfactory he will be absorbed with CMC for long term job.

Now he has been asked Training Fees of Rs.95000, wherein topics covered will be XML, HTML, JavaScript, .NET/Java

His aggregate is below 60% so he is desperate to get in CMC but asked for my opinion, I am totally unaware of IT field since I am into Telecom sector..

So anybody having knowledge or Pros & Cons of CMC programme plz let me know, will explain my friend about it, since he is really worried due to low scores..

I am not aware of CMC's training as such, but what I can say is that 95K is too high for the stuff you have listed. As with most training centers, I doubt these guys would go in depth either. So your friend's two options IMO are - opt for a full fledged M Sc (CS) / MCA course, or take any job that comes his way, while doing some self study with like minded individuals taking guidance from friends more familiar with this field.

I need to add that with aggregates below 60%, it is going to be really tough getting considered in any IT company with or without the CMC certification thing. An MSc or MCA with a decent (7.5 and above) GPA would bring bigger benefit. If your friend is serious about a career in this field, I would definitely recommend this route.

#agantuk

i don't think MCA/MSc is the right path for a BE guy.Infact MCA is equivalent or sometimes even considered lesser than BE.

#siril_k

There are MNCs who donot look at career percentage for recruitment.

Tell your friend not to be hopeless, just bcoz his friends are getting placed.

BTW what is his exact percentage ?

Actually I advised him of getting a course in Automation/ PLC so that the field he is in i.e Electronics, will let him know about the major 60% issue that IT cos look for...

Thanks for suggestion #agantuk

Well, we are talking about an Electronics background here. An MSc in CS or an MCA would atleast put something relevant on the profile for an IT company. Considering the marks aren't that great either, it would increase the likelihood of someone actually considering that profile. I am actually surprised to learn that MNCs (and I assume you are talking of the non-Indian IT ones) would take in someone out of college with a 60% in Electronics. Haven't ever encountered such a case in all these years

#agantuk

i don't think MCA/MSc is the right path for a BE guy.Infact MCA is equivalent or sometimes even considered lesser than BE.

#siril_k

There are MNCs who donot look at career percentage for recruitment.

Tell your friend not to be hopeless, just bcoz his friends are getting placed.

BTW what is his exact percentage ?

#ramanujpatro he has 59% agg, hence mostly he gets out of Placements itself..thats what tensed him & got desperate for CMC, however I will try to convince him for avoiding CMC for now

I am actually surprised to learn that MNCs (and I assume you are talking of the non-Indian IT ones) would take in someone out of college with a 60% in Electronics. Haven't ever encountered such a case in all these years

Welcome to Mumbai University

Well, we are talking about an Electronics background here. An MSc in CS or an MCA would atleast put something relevant on the profile for an IT company. Considering the marks aren't that great either, it would increase the likelihood of someone actually considering that profile. I am actually surprised to learn that MNCs (and I assume you are talking of the non-Indian IT ones) would take in someone out of college with a 60% in Electronics. Haven't ever encountered such a case in all these years

Yes MNCs like Mphasis and others recruit Non-CS guys.Even Wipro recruits freshers with 50% above.

I have noticed company preferring a Non-CS BE guy rather than hiring a MCA guy.

@siril :

Automation/PLC course in Chennai/Pune would be nice idea for a BE(Electronics) guy.But if your friend so interested in IT industry, ask him to do some course on JAVA/DOT NET/Web Designing.

If your friend is in b'lore or is planning to come to ,he can appear Litmus test and his profile might get selected depending on the performance.

Back