Question about Alliance broadband

konjecture

Recruit
Hi everyone, I have a question about Alliance broadband in Kolkata. My house in Kolkata has the Flash 3 mbps connection (Rs. 2,499 plan). I live in the US and will be visiting my house in a few weeks. I sometime talk to my parents over Skype and once I asked them if they have continuous internet all the time.
They said that they have to go to some website first and log in before they can use the internet. After that everything works fine.

Now, I am very much used to the broadband here in the US where I am online the moment I switch on my desktop. I was wondering why is it different for Alliance that I have to log in before I can use the internet. I remember doing these things like 15-20 years ago when there was dial up in my house. Can anyone please explain. Thanks.

It is not dial up. The process is you need to log in to their portal before using internet. They also have an auto connector app available in their website which can automatically connect the moment windows boots up.
Different countries, different infrastructure. ;)

I am using a router with the MAC of the rouater being used for binding.Do you know if the process mentioned by you will work on a router?
You can get the login disabled by sending them a mail with your login id and requesting for disabling the login. support@alliancekolkata.com or abspl@alliancekolkata.com.[DOUBLEPOST=1406294234][/DOUBLEPOST]The MAC address and IP of the computer will be used to authenticate the connection

Yes. I was using it for last six months with my router, but I had an issue with the public IP changing dynamically sometimes, which caused issues with my VPN. It should not be an issue with normal browsing / video chat /etc.

Back