Question about operating system?

sam9953

Adept
Hi guys, the other I went to my near by computer market (wazirpur market, in Delhi) and I asked the seller about the price and everything. Its my first time that I am going to get my PC assembled and I have no experience at all. So I asked the guy about the operating system and he said that I would have to pay something like 2000 to 3000 for windows 7. Now the question which I am asking you guys is that should I spend that money and get the original OS installed or should I just download it from the web and install it on my assembled PC which will have MS dos in the beginning. Please tell me what do should I do?

Hi guys, the other I went to my near by computer market (wazirpur market, in Delhi) and I asked the seller about the price and everything. Its my first time that I am going to get my PC assembled and I have no experience at all. So I asked the guy about the operating system and he said that I would have to pay something like 2000 to 3000 for windows 7. Now the question which I am asking you guys is that should I spend that money and get the original OS installed or should I just download it from the web and install it on my assembled PC which will have MS dos in the beginning. Please tell me what do should I do?

Try to get a legit copy of Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, from here. Do not fall for what the dealer is offering until and unless he gives you a legit OEM copy with a disc in the jewel case with appropriate key for the software.

It may seem expensive in the beginning but the advantages with legit software are --
  • Legit OS you are valid for all update and Service Packs.
  • You get the Microsoft Security Essential free antivirus, which really works and is light on resources.
  • You can install it whenever you want, as many times you want in every system you buy, even if you upgrade your system the software is valid as long as you have the key.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Try to get a legit copy of Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, from here. Do not fall for what the dealer is offering until and unless he gives you a legit OEM copy with a disc in the jewel case with appropriate key for the software.

It may seem expensive in the beginning but the advantages with legit software are --
  • Legit OS you are valid for all update and Service Packs.
  • You get the Microsoft Security Essential free antivirus, which really works and is light on resources.
  • You can install it whenever you want, as many times you want in every system you buy, even if you upgrade your system the software is valid as long as you have the key.

First of all I would really like to thank you for taking your time and hyperlinking the appropriate links and secondly thanks for this wonderful reply. So you mean to say its really worth for me to spend 2 to 3K. Isnt it? And yeah a few of those retail sellers are near to my place and are they the ones who sell totally original MS products? One more thing. Is this antivirus for lifetime and is it as good as others like Norton and AVG and is it surely available with windows 7?

1) So you mean to say its really worth for me to spend 2 to 3K. Isnt it?

2) Is this antivirus for lifetime and is it as good as others like Norton and AVG and is it surely available with windows 7?

I have divided your queries and will answer them serially, Sire --

1) Yep, it is worth it, I bought a full license Windows 7 Home Premium edition on 24[sup]th[/sup] January 2010 with my current Basilisk RIG [included in my signature] and it functions flawlessly. I had to format it only once in December 2011 as I wanted to implement RAID0 on my hard drive(s).

*I formatted my system once more in February 2012 because I forgot my account password.

2) Microsoft Security Essentials software is freeware and you can use it as long as you have a legit copy of Windows installed on your system [effective from Windows XP onwards]. It is a light, efficient and effective anti-virus comparable to Norton and Kaspersky.

More importantly it is regularly updated [every day definitions are updated ~2 -->3MB], if you loose your connection to internet then also you can update definitions from here.

Well this surely makes me feel that I should buy the original one but the trouble is that I checked the price online on ebay and there somewhere it is written that a new copy will cost me 6k and somewhere it is written that new copy will cost 14k but my dealer was offering it to me for just 3k. So what is the thing about the price and is it actually this expensive?

Well this surely makes me feel that I should buy the original one but the trouble is that I checked the price online on ebay and there somewhere it is written that a new copy will cost me 6k and somewhere it is written that new copy will cost 14k but my dealer was offering it to me for just 3k. So what is the thing about the price and is it actually this expensive?

I think he is offering you an OEM copy, it will have certain limitations on it [like number of times it can be installed]. If you buy a PC from the dealer and he / she is offering you a 64-bit OEM copy, I think you should seriously consider that offer just make sure they provide you a valid key for the product.

I bought my edition of Windows Home Premium ~5900/-.

P.S. -- If the software on installation starts saying its a fake OS, contact Microsoft and report the dealer OR get your problem appropriately redressed by the authorities.

I think he is offering you an OEM copy, it will have certain limitations on it [like number of times it can be installed]. If you buy a PC from the dealer and he / she is offering you a 64-bit OEM copy, I think you should seriously consider that offer just make sure they provide you a valid key for the product.

I bought my edition of Windows Home Premium ~5900/-.

P.S. -- If the software on installation starts saying its a fake OS, contact Microsoft and report the dealer OR get your problem appropriately redressed by the authorities.

So this means any dealer who is offering my something like 6k or near about that price might be giving me the original product. Is that so? Is there any other way apart from the price that will help me to judge if a person is selling me the real product.

The guy who is assembling might very well install a pirated version of Windows. You are better off doing the installation yourself, after buying the OS from a genuine reseller or from here: www.buyoriginalms.com

OR you can install the copy of 7 as trial for 30 days without any key. Once done, get hold of an OEM copy and just enter the key. Worst case, you might have to re format.

In my case, although I have a genuine copy of W7, am not using it as each time I format/etc, I may have issues with re validation of the key from MS [Have seen it happen with a OEM copy which my friend bought from Hypercity]. So using an OEM-SLP key and my original key is unused [still]

Is there any other way apart from the price that will help me to judge if a person is selling me the real product.

There are tell-tale marks on the box packaging like the original hologram, the DVD itself has Microsoft original software logo on its entire reflective face. So these are the ways you can spot a fake pretty easily.

Also the OEM copy for Windows is packaged in a Red jewel case.

Otherwise you can buy Original Microsoft OS from here [currently down for maintainance].

guys is there a major difference between OEM and Original software cd? I mean both are original right, then wha1 is the difference?

another thing which i am worried about is that as i heard that windows 8 might be released in the near future then it will be a waste of my money to buy the original windows 7 cd and spend 6k? and still not have the latest OS, will MS provide me a free upgrade to 7?

1) guys is there a major difference between OEM and Original software cd? I mean both are original right, then wha1 is the difference?

2) another thing which i am worried about is that as i heard that windows 8 might be released in the near future then it will be a waste of my money to buy the original windows 7 cd and spend 6k? and still not have the latest OS, will MS provide me a free upgrade to 7?

1) Sire the main difference is in between an OEM copy and a full license is that the OEM Copy will have certain limitations in the form of number of times you can reinstall the software, no. of PC's you can port it too and whether it will be affected if you upgrade some crucial components of the PC.

2) Simple answer to this one NO. If you want Windows 8, I recommend that you wait till it releases and then make a move [depending on how the response reviews indicate it is] OR you can try Windows 8 Consumer Preview and decide for yourself whether you want Windows 8 OR Windows 7.

* Please note MS Office is not part of Windows 7 OR Windows 8, you will need to buy the appropriate MS Office suite seperately.

guys is there a major difference between OEM and Original software cd? I mean both are original right, then wha1 is the difference?

another thing which i am worried about is that as i heard that windows 8 might be released in the near future then it will be a waste of my money to buy the original windows 7 cd and spend 6k? and still not have the latest OS, will MS provide me a free upgrade to 7?

OEM versions are the versions received with branded computers like HP, compaq, acer, IBM etc etc.. what happens is, many of these people are able to get their hands on the corporate OEM versions which are basically meant for corporate companies who purchase bulk copies like 100 to 200 copies or so.. so they get the privilege of having the OEM version disc for their offices..

these shopkeepers get these versions, which will basically not be pirated but its not meant for us.. he might as well install it for free for you without any cost, but he wont. they act clever, and the full amount you pay for this will just go in their pockets..

original software cd means the retail version of the software which is sold in the market to end consumers.. these will be expensive, and yes, these will actually be the genuine ones that end consumers are supposed to have.

from your above posts, i think the shopkeeper is just looting you. i would rather recommend, buy a properly sealed box of the OS and then install it yourself. many shopkeepers also charge for the full retail version and then keep it with themselves and install the pirated ones for people who are generally not very aware of this stuff or computer tech. minded. they dont realize that if an original version has been sold to them, they should also ideally get the proper box with the key and everything as well as the installation disc. the shopkeepers also try to fool by saying that the reason they are able to give the cheaper version is because they are selling genuine keys and thus do not provide installation discs and retail boxes but the scenario really is that they just install either an OEM or pirated version and people just do not care to check.

I am so much thankful to all of you for your support and helping me to clear all my doubts. Now I am pretty much decided that I will buy the original one for something like 6K but is it actually worth it, I mean okay even if I wait till 1 year and buy the latest windows 8 then after 2 years windows 9 might come out and then my money would have been spent in buying something outdated. That is the only reason which is preventing me from shelling out that money.

Windows 8 will be something like 10k when it comes out or more expensive. If you are technically adept you will be fine with a OEM key.but if you want to wait for windows 8 you can install a genuine win 7 copy by checking hashes as a trial.or just use Linux till then.
<

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Windows 8 will be something like 10k when it comes out or more expensive.

Are you serious, if possible please furnish appropriate links.

Next up #[member='sam9953'] if you really want to check out both options before committing to either [Windows 7 OR Windows 8 conundrum], download Windows 8 Consumer Preview use it for ~month if it grows on you then wait till Windows 8 releases and get a legit copy of that.

2) Microsoft Security Essentials software is freeware and you can use it as long as you have a legit copy of Windows installed on your system [effective from Windows XP onwards]. It is a light, efficient and effective anti-virus comparable to Norton and Kaspersky.

I have not had good experience with this. I have the same running on all PCs of my office. It is heavy on resources. Also it does not always stop viruses. Two of my office computers got virus even while running this (updated everyday). It does not have good ratings by software repositories either.

So even if you get a genuine copy of windows. I would recommend some other anti-virus.

Back