CPU/Mobo Question about Socket AM2 & 939 ?

Uh-Oh

Disciple
the AMD Socket AM2 and the socket 939 are diffrent and thus i cannot put a AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 Dual Core Processor which is for the AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 Dual Core Processor into a 939 socket correct?

(I'm looking for the best prossesor i can get for a 939 socket so unless anyone has any better ideas i'm fairly sure i'm going to go with the AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core Processor)

^^No he already has a S939 mobo.

Uh-oh, why do you want to buy an FX-60. Just buy a Opteron 165 and a good CPU cooler and overclock it to FX-60 speeds. You'll save close to $500 in the process.

hmm........thing is i don't really know how to do any of that overclocking stuff...........is that done in the BIOS ??

The FX-60 is presumadly the best and last 939 CPU. It sounds and looks like everyhting i need from the reviews and all. hmm....i will do some research into the Opteron, thnx for the idea...could you still explain to me how to overclock...thnx

yes i already have a 939 mobo but i also don't have the money to buy a conroe couse it'll cost proboly upwards of $1000 USD. i'm going away for the next month. i'm hoping that by the time i come back the FX-60 or w/e i get will be down another $150 USD or so. and either way, the conroe is way ahead of its time. even the most advances modern games don't take full use of even dual core so they have alot of catching up to do. thats like with DDR2. companies are starting to switch to it but currently it still offers little to your computer. (Thats all from what i've heard and read, if i'm wrong please tell me)

You can easily learn or/and take the help of more experienced people. Yes its done in the BIOS, read the overclocking section here to find out more info. You'll find a lot of stuff. You can buy an Opteron 165 or Athlon 64 3800+ for 300$ and buy a CPU cooler for 50$ and overclock them to FX-60 speeds.

Uh-Oh said:
Yes i already have a 939 mobo but i also don't have the money to buy a conroe couse it'll cost proboly upwards of $1000 USD. i'm going away for the next month. i'm hoping that by the time i come back the FX-60 or w/e i get will be down another $150 USD or so.

Mate, an FX-60 costs ~ 800$. Price definately wont drop to 150$ levels either.

So your only option would be one of the entry level dual-cores and overclock it. Prices for entry level dual cores are expected to drop to the 160~170$ mark next month after the launch of Conroe.

no i highly doubt the fx-60 dropping to $150, i said prices going down by like $150 which means that it'll be like another $100 less then w/e its at on eBay.

i would love to do the whole conroe thing but i just don't see myself getting that type of money anytime soon. also as i said comp games havn't even taken full advantage of current tech. i'll use the comp i'm building now with the 939 for the next 3 years then when i go to colledge i'll give the 939 to my bro or sis and get w/e is out then.

(i'm looking to keep my entire rig price under $2500, the conroe is going to be easily $1000 so that would take away a 1/3 of my budget, way to much.)

^^Mate, only the Conroe Extreme is going to be $1000. You can get an E6600 for $350. So if your going to spend $2500 on a rig, WTF are you buying an A64 for, go for Conroe.

hunt3r said:
^^Mate, only the Conroe Extreme is going to be $1000. You can get an E6600 for $350. So if your going to spend $2500 on a rig, WTF are you buying an A64 for, go for Conroe.

I agree completely....with $2500 you can get a darn gud rig....just wait a bit for the Conroe...and as you're already waiting for an FX-60 price drop...why the hell even bother with it? Just get the Conroe...its only a month till it is released too....:hap2: Gud Luck with the build...:clap: :hap2:

I would say sell of your 939 board and ram, get a E6600+mobo+ram for it. If you can afford a fx-60 then you can afford this and believe me this really worth and future proof than A64 939.

Back