[Question]How Information Technology can help a Small Shop?

Gaurish

ex-Mod
Hi,
My friend owns a small Wholesale shop of electric parts & fittings. turnover would be in few lakhs.

Present system:
Everything is manual and done by hand like billing & stock keeping

Problems:
Due to large volumes of stock, Stock maintenance is headache
he has to send his servant to stock yard every now and then to verify stock.
He is now looking to use I.T in his small business for:
1) Billing
2) Stock Keeping

*if changing over feasible for small shop like this?
*Anyone Has a idea how do we go?
*what hardware and software would be required?

he asked me me all this, but i had no answer:S
so i asked here, with confidence of getting some help:D

I would suggest before going in for barcoding and stuff it would be better if your starts with a simple Inventory management and billing system. Both should be available from the net for free (just a guess). Look out for them.

I have myself developed barcoding apps for stock keeping. If your friend has a barcode reader (I am not sure which ones are compatible) then it can be very useful. IT can do virtually any sort of management operations of your friend.

Your friend can get custom apps developed by paying little amout, search rentacoder.com for that. Alternatively you can get some relative or friend to do it for free.

along software, Please suggest what kind of hardware would be required?

Like Printer,UPS etc. do remember being a small shop. we need to keep costs minimum.

superczar said:
Here is a pointer:

Barcode printers, readers and any basic warehouse mgmt application

Google around for this

Buddy, i expected a bit detailed answers. i have tried googling but there are so many softwares that its very difficult to choose which one to use.

anupamsinha said:
I would suggest before going in for barcoding and stuff it would be better if your starts with a simple Inventory management and billing system. Both should be available from the net for free (just a guess). Look out for them.

Can you suggest a few apps to test?

hmasalia said:
With Tally u can do both

Billing as well as Inventory stock check.....

We have considered tally but Its a full blown system which is complicated to understand and we don't need half of its given features.

hammerhead said:
I have myself developed barcoding apps for stock keeping. If your friend has a barcode reader (I am not sure which ones are compatible) then it can be very useful. IT can do virtually any sort of management operations of your friend.

Your friend can get custom apps developed by paying little amout, search rentacoder.com for that. Alternatively you can get some relative or friend to do it for free.

hmm..

Well, we are looking for buy hardware+software. but since he has a wholesale shop barcoding each and every item is very painful.

Back